Question on cellaring.....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperorsh

Reaction score
I smoke Lane's RLP 6 most days as an all day smoke. I was pondering about cellaring some of it. I know Va's and Va/per's do well when cellared, and english blends.

Just curious on the cellaring of the cavendish. Would it age like the va's, or turn rancid after some time?

Cavendish on it's own likely won't improve with aging. Virginia's will get MUCH better and latakia will somewhat mellow but cav on it's own pretty much stays the same. A good rule of theum is that mainly only natural tobaccos REALLY benefit from aging...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

Thanks Doc, that answered my question. I just didn't want to go and buy a couple of pounds and have it go bad before I could smoke it.

I wouldn't expect it to improve, but I wouldn't expect it to deteriorate either if it were jarred and sealed.

grumpy1":y6m3rrl1 said:
I wouldn't expect it to improve, but I wouldn't expect it to deteriorate either if it were jarred and sealed.
Deterioration is what I was concerned with, if I jarred it.

Thanks Grumpy1 and Doc

RE cost…can you get it for what you think might be a WAY better price now vs some time in the future? …lookin’ at a big tax hike? …might availability become an issue? That kinda thing.

I think the topping can break down over time, but I recommend some level of stockpiling as the tax hikes will almost certainly keep coming. 30% ish increase in pipe tobacco prices in michigan this year.