Question on sterilizing canning jars for tobacco use

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I know you should sterilize canning jars for storing your tobacco in for long term. I know about all that and the boiling of the jars, but...

Can you put a jar in the microwave to sterilize them? With or without water?

I had some issues with mold like others did and I just threw the tobacco and jar out. That is an expensive option I don't want to do again, but sterilizing would be much simpler if I could microwave the jars. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I don't worry too much about sterilization. I'm not eating the tobacco and I haven't ever had an issue with mold. What I will do and have done is wash them in very hot water and dry them thoroughly just before adding the tobacco and placing the lid on them.

Sterile is probably not exactly what you want for tobacco storage IMO.

I never sterilize my jars. I open the package, take out the jar, dump in my tobacco, and screw on the lid. Never had any problems doing it this way.

Food is different, but this is how I see the deal with tobacco. The glass was shaped at around 2000°. Machines are likely packing the jars into boxes that have been barely touched by a human at the printing press, which are then heat sealed with plastic by a machine. Someone might be at the end of the assembly line stacking the sealed boxes of jars, but even that, I doubt it these days. There's more human contact at the department/grocery store when putting them on the shelves, but they're still in their sealed plastic. If you cut open the jar box and then wash your hands before directly handling the jars, you've pretty much avoided any contaminants. I don't wash my jars prior to use, and I've yet to have a mold problem.

fsu92john":0o787nzj said:
I never sterilize my jars. I open the package, take out the jar, dump in my tobacco, and screw on the lid. Never had any problems doing it this way.
Same. Although, I never use repurposed jars that were used for food. Buy jars, keep in a constant rotation for tobacco, replace lids as needed

I wipe the inside of the jar, the outside where the threads are, and the inside of the lid with isopropyl alcohol, let it dry then use. I think this will kill any potential contaniments(sp?). It was suggested to me when I first started by a friend and brother on another forum who has been piping for decades.

DrumsAndBeer ":b3gu6j1v said:
Same. Although, I never use repurposed jars that were used for food. Buy jars, keep in a constant rotation for tobacco, replace lids as needed
That's what I do and have never had an issue. Once you've finished any tobacco from a jar replace the lid for a good seal. The ONLY blends that go back into a used jar is the exact blend I just finished.
In the past I've used PB&J jars that have been cleaned twice in the dishwasher with no issues. But Mason or Ball jars are inexpensive @ any Walmart. I recently picked up a 2 dozen pint size Mason jars for $7.96 per dozen.....that's CHEAP!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

In all likelihood, you're adding bacteria and contaminants in your dishwasher and with your kitchen towel. Some of these new dishwashers and new frontloader clothes washers have sanitize modes, which I'm assuming is there for people with infants. It takes very little to re-contaminate a surface. Oh, you just touched the water lever/knob to shut off the water after washing your hands? Oh, you just answered your phone? Oh, you just moved the trashed can? Oh, you just swiped the top of your counter to see if it was clean or dry? Oh, you just opened the box that has your new tobacco? Not to be a germaphobe (I am, actually), but worrying about bacteria and whatnot in your tobacco jarring process can very easily be one step forward and two steps back. The more you mess with the jars, the greater the chance for recontamination. The jars and lids straight out of their boxes are every bit as clean as you need them to be for tobacco. In all likelihood, they're already cleaner than you need them to be.

Zeno Marx

The dishwasher that was used was programmed by me to do two cycles of steam....sanitized....cleaning. No soap or chemicals were added nor was any type of towel used to dry the jars. After the two cycles were complete it's set automatically to do one heat cycle to dry any moisture left after steam cleaning. The same type of dishwashers that restaurants are " suppose " too also use. No germs or bacteria remains " if " the procedure is " properly " done correctly.

PS, ONLY JARS THAT HAD PB&J PRIOR WERE STEAM SANITIZED. NOT NEW JARS

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I’ve done lots and lots of glass containers over the years. Never had one problem. I either stick ‘em in the DW or hand wash with hot soapy water, hot clear rinse, air dry. Never the least sign of mold, etc.

I'm pretty basic here.

I use new jars without any additional prep. Used jars go through a normal automatic dishwasher cycle. Use new lids and rings where warranted. Never had a mold issue thus far.

Methinks this issue is far overblown. If the 'baccy is compromised it will undoubtedly be from the source. And no downstream efforts will contain it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:cat:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":xhgmzr1x said:
I'm pretty basic here.

I use new jars without any additional prep. Used jars go through a normal automatic dishwasher cycle. Use new lids and rings where warranted. Never had a mold issue thus far.

Methinks this issue is far overblown. If the 'baccy is compromised it will undoubtedly be from the source. And no downstream efforts will contain it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:cat:

Cheers,

RR
I know GMF and I are of the same school as you on this

Long, long ago, a lab geek on this board tested new jars.
They come out of the packaging sterile.
If yer OCD compels you to further wash em, cool,
but they ain't get any cleaner than when you bought em.   :evil:

For new jars and lids leave them be!!!! If you're reusing jars or lids a quick dunk in boiling water is plenty. If you want to get extreme as in a jar that had mold in it dip it in boiling bleach water for one minute remove and allow to air dry. That will take no time at all requires no rinse and doesn't allow recontamination. The bleach water treatment does not in anyway stick around to screw with the tobacco.

Jim

NEVER TRY TO STERILIZE IN A MICROWAVE! !!!!!

huffelpuff":cxijfnn9 said:
For new jars and lids leave them be!!!! If you're reusing jars or lids a quick dunk in boiling water is plenty. If you want to get extreme as in a jar that had mold in it dip it in boiling bleach water for one minute remove and allow to air dry. That will take no time at all requires no rinse and doesn't allow recontamination. The bleach water treatment does not in anyway stick around to screw with the tobacco.

Jim

NEVER TRY TO STERILIZE IN A MICROWAVE! !!!!!
I resemble this remark!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Hermit":frzyrqbj said:
Didn't they do culture counts with swabs and petri dishes? I swear I remember some kind of extensive testing, but maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Zeno Marx":yiqzso2n said:
Hermit":yiqzso2n said:
Didn't they do culture counts with swabs and petri dishes?  I swear I remember some kind of extensive testing, but maybe I'm confusing it with something else.
Don't recall the details, but the guy worked in a lab with sophisticated equipment.

I’m with the camp that uses new jars right out of the package.

Reused jars are put through the dishwasher with water only, no soap, including the heat cycle.

Never had a problem.