Question re GH&Co. Super Moist Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLowlyApprentice

Reaction score
I recently purchased two of GH&Co's tobaccos – Kendal Kentucky and Dark Bird's Eye.

As a newbie puffer this was my first experience with shag cut tobacco and I'd never seen tobacco cut this fine. It was almost as fine as sewing thread.

More particularly, both tobaccos weren't just moist, they were soaking wet like they'd had a long bath in what I presume was PG.

I have cellared both tobaccos and have not yet smoked either.

What I have wondered is should I uncellar these tobaccos and dry them out well before I put them back in mason jars because they are going to be soaking wet whenever I open them and I also wonder if tobacco this wet wouldn't invite mould.

These tobaccos are so wet that I think you'd waste a can of butane trying to light them.

I read the reviews of both at TobaccoReviews.com and no one has mentioned how wet the tobacco was so I'm a bit confused. Did I get a batch that escaped quality control?

Any advice would be appreciated.

TLA

It has been my experience that pretty much all the blends from them that I've tried are a bit on the damp side. It's my opinion that it may be a stopgap for the tobacco to not get too dry over time. It might also aid in the maturing of the blend. I'm also under the impression that they use little if any PG, as it may be a violation of European tobacco standards. My best guess is that the moisture you are encountering is either essences, the oils in the leaf, or a combination of both.

A good test for PG is setting some aside to dry. If it takes days(or what seems like days), then there is a substantial amount. If in under 2-3 hours it's getting crispy around the edges, it's not....

Hope this helps!

What Ozzy said is spot on. As to leaving it like that I personally wouldn't. I would go ahead and dry it down to just a hair wetter than what you'd normally smoke. Then jar it back up.

Jim

Thanks fellas,

I left the tobaccos out to dry for about 5 hours and I also teased apart all the shag/ribbons which were all stuck together from the moisture.

The tobaccos had dried enough to recellar them so I'll hope for the best.

Many thanks,

TLA

Better too moist than too dry in my experience. Hydrating tobacco takes me days, and I cheat with an atomizing mister bottle for ironing.