Question re Savinelli "Straight Grain C" chamber finish

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLowlyApprentice

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a Savinelli "Straight Grain C" #121 EX pipe.

It's quite a big honkin' pot and I like it a lot though I've not smoked it yet.

My question concerns the fact that the chamber of the pipe is completely finished to the same degree as the exterior of the bowl.

It actually shows some nice grain in the chamber and is completely finished to the bottom of the chamber.

All of the other pipes which I've purchased either have an unfinished chamber or the chamber has been precarbonized (sp?).

My question whether I need to be concerned that the interior chamber finish may give off some noxious gases as it is burned off while being broken in.

Does anyone have any experience with this and are my concerns unfounded?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm no expert, but it appears like the strummel has been dip stained. This seems to be common with Petersons these days, but this is the first I've seen it on a Sav.

If it were me, I'd want to sand it down to bare wood and remove the stain as it could surely serve to provide an off taste. I've never done this but apparently sandpaper wrapped around a dowel or your finger is effective.

Several of my newer Pete's had been dip stained but I sent them to a competent refurbisher to have it removed.

No doubt pipers with more experience in this will chime in here.

Cheers,

RR

So TLA, any thoughts on how you will proceed?

Frankly I'm disappointed in the lack of response from our highly regarded pipesmiths here on BoB. Or perhaps it's just that this thread was in the wrong forum for them to see?!

In any case, if you're not prepared to DIY you might sound out members such as (but not confined to)-

Ocelot55
ontariopiper
Cartaphilus
kaitlyn3837

All have proven themselves to be competent re-furbishers from the feedback here on BoB. And my apologies to anyone I've missed. Please list yourself accordingly.

I've also had successful dealings with Coastie3202, but he seems to have disappeared from our site.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

I may have been just sanded and waxed, hard to tell from the photo but, in any case I would sand the chamber out with 400 grit before smoking it(wrapped around a finger that fits of course) being very careful not to hit the outer rim while doing so. A job anyone can do with a little patience. Then wipe the chamber
with a damp paper towel to remove any and all dust and or residue. ;)

The top of the bowl looks a little misshapen, is it just the photo? :scratch:

Many thanks Cartaphilus

I'll just screw up my courage and do the sandpaper number on the finish.

The apparent misshapen rim is just an optical phenom. It's perfectly symmetrical.

Many thanks,
TLA