Quick & Easy Pipe Display Rack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I thought I'd share my latest project. It may be of interest if you're currently looking for a quick and easy way to display your pipes.

I have "proper" pipe rack space for about 30 pipes, divided over two 6-pipe racks and the 18-pipe case I DIY'd back in the spring. These were filling up, mainly due to two large lots of estate pipes I picked up over the summer, so it was time to find more storage/display space.

I rummaged around and found a 24" x 32" piece of 5/8" plywood and some black velvet fabric left over from a past project. I stapled the velvet and a little padding to the plywood, and then screwed on rubber fishing rod holder clips I found on Amazon HERE. Figuring out the ideal spacing between clips was the hardest part of the project, but as it didn't extend beyond basic arithmetic, even I could do it. :)

Here are the fishing rod clips I used:

And two pics of the display, one with the first "tester" pipe, and then fully populated.

I still need to attach hardware to the back of the board to facilitate wall mounting, but I've just doubled my pipe storage space for the cost of 2 packs of rod holder clips. :cheers: :D :cheers:

A word of advice - if you use these clips, throw away the crappy screws that come in the package and buy decent ones. These strip out with little to no provocation.

Not bad looking at all, especially considering the minimal expenditure! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Dutch":rt43aqxt said:
Not bad looking at all, especially considering the minimal expenditure! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks, Dutch. I'd have preferred to box it in and put glass doors on the front to keep the dust out, and I may still do that, but it's functional as it is and gets my pipes up off the bookshelf where the cat likes to knock them off. ;)

Richard Burley":8exccb84 said:
That, from now on, is the paradigm for pipe rackery for me.
Thanks Richard. I thought the concept might gain some traction here - cheap, easy and effective usually carries the day. And money saved on racks is money that can be spent on new pipes!

I read somewhere that if you want a really cheap, fast, and easy pipe rack, just buy one of those cookie drying or cooling racks that they sell anywhere. You know, for baking? I think that's what they're called. Anyhow, you just attach it to the wall by its little feet things, then stick your pipe stems into the slats. Gravity then takes over, and the pipe hangs there, sticking out from the wall a bit. I have no idea if the perpetrator of this idea was hallucinating, or it actually works.

ontario, this is a damn beautiful rack! Congratulations! :)
Btw, to skip Amazon, I wonder if I can find rod clips in fishing equipment store? Probably I can ...

Thanks! I'm enjoying having all my estate refurbs in one spot. Kinda like looking at a trophy case :-D

For rod clips, you'd think Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop might carry them. If you've got one close to you, it's probably worth a try. I had nothing within several hours drive so I went the online route.

EXCELENT use of materials and costs. !!! Make up a few and designate places on the wall and your set for life pipe storage wise :twisted:

I like your thinking! I've got room for at least one more the same size in "the cave". Looks like I'm gonna need more pipes! :-D

Really neat idea. The cloth helps highlight the finishes on the pipes nicely. I would be interested to see it with the doors on it if you decide to go that way.