Quite A Week!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlyn3837

Reaction score
Well, as most of you know I got married on Tuesday. That day was awesome! Very emotional high to be married to my love and to be surrounded by people who love us and are genuinely happy for us.

The following day, telling my family (I didn't tell them beforehand) about the elopement was not easy. Lots of crying and sadness. They were hurt but they understood my point of view as well.

Today I had to fire a co-worker and friend. It really sucked/sucks. I make friends easily and get along with pretty much everyone I meet. So it's just natural for me to make friends with the people that I spend a majority of my days with. On the flip-side, I also understand business. It was a business decision, it was the right decision, it's just one hell of a bummer. We had worked together for almost two years. This is the second person I have ever had to fire. Does it get easier? I'm not thinking it does unless I become a cold hard b*#%!, and that's really not possible for me.

So it's been quite an emotional week and I'm feeling rather burnt out now. BUT on the bright side, we have Pipe Club tonight. Hopefully some pipe smoking and good laughs will help!

Cheers!

kaitlyn, I have never been fired from a job, but if it were to ever happen, I would want it to be you that pulled the trigger!

I, like you, tend to create close ties to those around me. Work has been no exception...

Also, it has been my displeasure to relieve close associates from their occupations. It should never be easy, either because of the relationship that was cultivated, nor due to the fact that it is a tough environment to find stable work in these times of economic upheaval.

I applaud your empathy. Please bear in mind though, that what happened was most likely for the betterment of all involved...........

Remember Old Ozark Wizard wisdom.......

"No matter how hard we try, things work out."

And no, it should never get easier.

Dutch":aauicpcd said:
kaitlyn, I have never been fired from a job, but if it were to ever happen, I would want it to be you that pulled the trigger!
Haha, thanks Dutch! It's the second person I have ever had to fire. The first wasn't too difficult because he had only been on staff for a couple weeks and it was OBVIOUSLY not a good fit. The first one also cried, so that was pretty sad but I hadn't had any real emotional connection/friendship with him.

This one just wasn't good at all. He has had a bit of a rough patch in his life and it felt like I was kicking him while he was down. But it was necessary for the business.

Ozark Wizard":263jng9o said:
I, like you, tend to create close ties to those around me. Work has been no exception...

Also, it has been my displeasure to relieve close associates from their occupations. It should never be easy, either because of the relationship that was cultivated, nor due to the fact that it is a tough environment to find stable work in these times of economic upheaval.

I applaud your empathy. Please bear in mind though, that what happened was most likely for the betterment of all involved...........

Remember Old Ozark Wizard wisdom.......

"No matter how hard we try, things work out."

And no, it should never get easier.
Very true. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

I've never been fired, but I've been married twice and that's pretty close I'd imagine.

puros_bran":4ucbkdi6 said:
I've never been fired, but I've been married twice and that's pretty close I'd imagine.

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Actually getting fired is a lot better than going from one marriage to another. Been there and done that. Fortunately the second one has been working for more than 43 years.  :)

AJ

Read "Coaching for Improved Work Performance" by Ferdinand Fournes. If you follow his coaching strategy, you'll never fret over firing someone again. By the time you get to that decision, the responsibility for the outcome will lie solely with the employee.

riff raff":lgj0m579 said:
Read "Coaching for Improved Work Performance" by Ferdinand Fournes.  If you follow his coaching strategy, you'll never fret over firing someone again.  By the time you get to that decision, the responsibility for the outcome will lie solely with the employee.  
Ohhhhhh! I will look that up! Thanks for the advice!

kaitlyn3837":xsumao8p said:
riff raff":xsumao8p said:
Read "Coaching for Improved Work Performance" by Ferdinand Fournes.  If you follow his coaching strategy, you'll never fret over firing someone again.  By the time you get to that decision, the responsibility for the outcome will lie solely with the employee.  
Ohhhhhh! I will look that up! Thanks for the advice!
Looks like used copies are around $5 on Amazon. Your local library might also carry it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0442224605/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

http://www.amazon.com/Coaching-Improved-Performance-Revised-Edition/dp/0071352937

Firing people is only easy when it is obvious to everyone involved. Normally the person is aware that it is coming anyway. In which case a smart person will secure a new job while doing their best at the one slipping away.

It's hard when they go kicking and screaming, like a grown man crying over being fired. I don't envy you that. Lucky for me I don't have a management position anymore.