R.I.P. Larry King

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
87 years old. One of the most famous in the history of American broadcasting. Died one week after being diagnosed with Covid.
Over several years, King had many health issues.

I was just reading his bio at Wiki. 2020 must have been a horrible year for King, as two of his offspring died. He'd been married eight times, didn't meet his son Larry King Jr. until Jr. was in his 30s. The man had amazing professional success in an industry where I spent over five decades. He was an anomaly, not "aging out." I met King once when he was doing a city-to-city marketing promo for his overnight Larry King Show. To me, and it's a hasty opinion from one short meeting, King seemed very self important.

He did a decent interview if hardball wasn’t of interest; made a career of being a good listener.

I was just reading his bio at Wiki. 2020 must have been a horrible year for King, as two of his offspring died. He'd been married eight times, didn't meet his son Larry King Jr. until Jr. was in his 30s. The man had amazing professional success in an industry where I spent over five decades. He was an anomaly, not "aging out." I met King once when he was doing a city-to-city marketing promo for his overnight Larry King Show. To me, and it's a hasty opinion from one short meeting, King seemed very self important.
You gauged him correctly. Larry loved Larry, and everything else was much less important. I enjoyed his radio show much more than his TV work, and often listened to him in the 1980s. He was a great broadcaster, but he got sloppy as time went on. When I did radio, we used to make fun of him for occasionally messing up a promo, and being too lazy to fix it.

You gauged him correctly. Larry loved Larry, and everything else was much less important.
I had a lengthy meeting with Paul Harvey, a meeting that I had for purely business reasons. I did not like Harvey for many reasons, but primarily for his support of Joe McCarthy and McCarthy's witch hunts. Harvey appeared to be more about the financial rewards of his success than his image. We had a casual lunch at a small restaurant and Harvey was wearing a business suit that must have $1000 in 1976. Some years later, I met his son and found him to be not much like his father.

I had a lengthy meeting with Paul Harvey, a meeting that I had for purely business reasons. I did not like Harvey for many reasons, but primarily for his support of Joe McCarthy and McCarthy's witch hunts. Harvey appeared to be more about the financial rewards of his success than his image. We had a casual lunch at a small restaurant and Harvey was wearing a business suit that must have $1000 in 1976. Some years later, I met his son and found him to be not much like his father.
That doesn't surprise me at all.

I enjoyed Larry on the radio and on TV! I liked his style very much and I missed him when his time ended on CNN. RIP