Rain

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I have a huge cottonwood tree in my backyard that this year dropped clumps of cotton all over the yard. I had dedicated this afternoon to raking up the mess. It doesn't work to use the blower; the crap needs to be raked. It's been raining since this morning, so I am relaxing without guilt.

Cottonwoods are very messy. I know this from 20 years experience.

No Cheers,

RR
Years ago I had an apartment right along the Missouri River in Council Bluffs IA just across the river from Omaha NE. The river was lined with hundreds if not thousands of cottonwoods. The clumps would coat window screens, plug up a/c units, and create a blanket of white on the swimming pool. Yes, messy little devils, but pretty if you were boating in the river.

Snow days. We never grow out of appreciating them. I love when weather gets in the way of yard work, but then again, I hate yard work.

To piggyback on that, and the subject of the thread, the choice in greenery is so confusing to me. I forget the type of tree now, but we had a tree that dropped tiny buds that both clumped and would singly find their way onto shoes, socks, rugs, and plugging rain pipes as they basically turn to mud with a little water; then tiny leaves drop that stuck like double-faced tape to the bottom of shoes, and plug rain pipes; then drop all the tiny 1-2" branches that the leaves were on, creating their own mess. And that was just late spring. The leaves and tiny branches/spines would again drop in fall. On top of all that, the branches are weak, so with any significant wind or thunderstorm, this tree litters the yard with broken branches. The bigger branches also tending to split at some point, falling through roofs, crushing cars in the driveway.

Every tree is work, but who in their right mind would purposely plant a tree that drops three different things in spring, two different things in fall, is so weak in structure that you have a garbage can of branches every time a big storm rolls through the area. I don't understand why anyone would plant this kind of tree in their yard. Why would anyone plant this cottonwood tree you're describing in their yard? A masochist? I person who loves to give themselves work? An idiot? Does zero thought go into the maintenance when landscaping?

Never had one in my yard but cottonwoods are prolific and volunteers sprout like crazy along most waterways. Would not ever plant one as landscaping. The tree you talked about could have been a type of willow. We had a weeping willow in our back yard when we moved here and although it was a beautiful tree the slightest wind would cover the patio in leaves and small twigs. A real PITA. Finally cut it down and replaced it with an AZ ash and a European birch.

Cottonwoods, silver maples, mulberries, crab apples, etc. are planted as they are fast growing & provide lots of shade. They also have shallow root systems (spread out, not down) plus being messy as hell!! They are just crappy trees to have in ones yard!!!! FTRPLT

They also have shallow root systems (spread out, not down)
Sounds like a great thing for the owners 20-50 years down the road. For the foundation, sprinkler systems, sewer and water pipes, driveways, etc. Just what everyone needs: roots growing outwards.

Cottonwood trees plagued my brewery in Snoqualmie, WA every spring. They grew along the banks of the Snoqualmie River which we were next to and their little white puffballs would be present in the production area for weeks and weeks. They clogged up the cooling systems and generally were a PITA.

No Cheers,

RR