Randy Wiley "tilted" pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
I admire the design Randy Wiley's pipes a good deal, and I'm especially intrigued by his "tilted" pipes, where the bowls lean a bit to the left or right of the shank. But the design leaves me with a lingering question: how does a tilted bowl smoke?

Burning/heat rises, so I worry that the heat would run up against the side of a tilted bowl (rather than out the top, like in a level bowl.) On the other hand, if you hold the bowl in your hand when you're not actively smoking, it'll spend most of its time level.

Any thoughts? Anybody have firsthand experience with a tilted pipe?

I would think that they smoke no different than a horn. The only issue I have with a horn is the lighting of them. I have several Ardor's that the bowl cants forward and have not had any smokability issues. I wouldn't see a difference on whether the bowl is canted to the side or forward. Just my thoughts.

Doc Manhattan":3kgn6vii said:
Burning/heat rises, so I worry that the heat would run up against the side of a tilted bowl (rather than out the top, like in a level bowl.) On the other hand, if you hold the bowl in your hand when you're not actively smoking, it'll spend most of its time level.

Any thoughts? Anybody have firsthand experience with a tilted pipe?
It should smoke fine. One thing to remember is that hot air rises. Heat radiates out in all directions equally, and affectes the materials nearby in relation to their make up.

My only objection to any canted pipes is the way the rims always disscolour! This is a pet peeve of mine and is the reason that I don't own any....

Best,
D.J.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":s3mz7d9a said:
My only objection to any canted pipes is the way the rims always disscolour!
That, plus the fact that I can't see the inside of the bowl while puffing. Thumbs down for canted bowls. :tongue: