Ranking My Own Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiltjlp

Reaction score
Someone at Pipe Chat asked me to rank my own blends, which I though was an interesting request. So I have combined several posts of mine from over there for here.

I'm kind of surprised no one has ever asked me this till now. And probably Winter Heart Beat is actually my least appreciated blend. It has a 2 star rating, and I've only heard of a handful of other folks who like it.

There are four blends not currently available which I have Rich mix for me, and which are my favorites.

Spyglass
Hannay's Danube Blend
Harvest Home
Winter Heart Beat

Available From 4noggins

Storm Front/Better with Latakia added
Virginia Squire
Quadruple Va
Latakia Junction
Gold Nugget
Moe's Confetti
Cool Hand Fluke I'm amazed I ever made this one, because I dislike Perique

Not Currently Available

Spyglass
Hannay's Danube Blend
Harvest Home
Winter Heart Beat
Latakia Avanue
Desert Pirate
Georgia Gentleman
Twlight's Dream
English Manor
Patton's Last Blend . . . aka Earl's Fault
Crossroads
Courtyard
Oriental Dusk
Home From Work
Soulmates Kiss
Cathy's Clown
Loveland
Delhi Township
Fogotten Memories
Honeymoon
Turkish Delight

A few of my really old blends I haven't listed. Not because they aren't nice blends, but because if I were starting over from scratch, I either wouldn't make them, or would at least change their recipes. And although Mr. Patton was my dad, I figured you meant me.

Just so you know, Spyglass. Hannay's Danube Blend, Winter Heart Beat, and Harvest Home are fairly heavy blends, IMO. Rich will mix up any of my blends if asked. I think Rich requires a minimum one pound purchase in total, but I could be mistaken. You’ll have to call and check with him.

Here's some info on them:

Spyglass

As a young boy, I was terribly shy and withdrawn, which is probably why I spent 55 years of my life as a writer. I would spend all of my free time near our attic window, thinking and looking out at the world with my spyglass, which is a single, hand-held, low power telescope. This blend should surprise anyone who has paid attention to my tastes in tobacco. It has a healthy amount of Turkish, lesser amounts of both burley and cigar leaf, and 35% Latakia. It seems that the Turkish and Latakia balance Spyglass very well indeed.

Winter Heartbeat

A flavorful, robust blend dominated with cigar leaf, with Latakia, Perique, and a hint of Deer Tongue. Tasty and very satisfying without being overpowering.

Hannay's Danube Blend

A tasty five-tobacco blend creates a Balkan worthy of the name. Over 60% stoved Virginias, 20% Latakia, and 16% cigar leaf and Turkish offer a sturdy but slightly tamed blend with tons of flavor. Named for the hero of John Buchan's novel “The 39 Steps”, It’s working name of Stoved Darkness describes it to a T.

Harvest Home

A medium English/Balkan-style blend with dominating Latakia and cigar leaf, and lesser amounts of red Virginia and black Cavendish. While it can start a bit harsh, it settles down to a flavorful, balanced smoke, which should improve with age.

Harvest Home was on my to-do list. Not available? Damn. :(

The reviews on TR.com leave a bit of a question mark. Is there latakia in that blend?

As far as putting latakia in Stormfront, how much do you recommend for every 10 grams of Stormfront?

QV and SF make me pretty darned happy... but I haven't tried anything with Latakia in it from you yet, tilt. Since we both don't really trust Perique I'm pretty sure we'd have a lot in common with Latakia. Spyglass and Danube sound awesome--I may have to ask Rich to put some together for me. That's a lot of tabak, though!

So, why haven't you taken Storm Front and added the amount of Latakia that you find acceptable, John? You could call it "Monsoon Sunset" or something--nothing like an evening smoke after the storm has passed (especially a desert thunderstorm).

8)

Storm_Crow":a0ak3ylv said:
Maybe "Dark and Stormy"
...:lol: Too cliche an opening...? "(It was a) Dark and Stormy Night..." :lol: None of tilt's blends or mixes I've had are cliche, but it's kind of a catchy title... 8)

Well just sos everyone knows the blend name "Storm Crow" is taken. :p

Storm_Crow":vgnhc94p said:
Harvest Home was on my to-do list. Not available? Damn. :(

The reviews on TR.com leave a bit of a question mark. Is there latakia in that blend?

As far as putting latakia in Stormfront, how much do you recommend for every 10 grams of Stormfront?

Everything I have blended is available Special Order, just call Rich at 800-364-5126 to place an ortder, but there is an 8 ounce minimum per blend. And my Latakia blends tend to be on the heavy side of medium in strength.

As for adding Latikia to Storm Front, I do it by weight 8oz at a time, and add 1 1/2oz to each 8oz of Storm Front. As for offering such a blend, there are lots of my blend with Latakia already, and besides, Rich is focusing on his own 4noggins blends.

tiltjlp said:
Storm_Crow":ugmyos4y said:
As for adding Latikia to Storm Front, I do it by weight 8oz at a time, and add 1 1/2oz to each 8oz of Storm Front.
So...errr... :scratch: That looks like about 18.761726%...approximately. :lol:

edit - somebody at my work place thinks they're funny....never leaving myself logged on again...

Of the ones now publicly available...to me, Storm Front is the kind, Quad VA is the queen, VA Squire is the jack and Cool Hand Fluke is the joker. Having touted SF long and loud, I think it's a masterword. The others are very, very good...and the Fluke is totally fun...Perique Crack.

The ones I really want to try are Oriental Dusk and Crossroads...being on a Turkish kick at the moment with blends like C&D's Sunday Picnic and Oriental Silk hitting the bullseye. I had no idea that 4-N would do up the out of production blends on the basis described...so that's REALLY excellent news. I guess I'll have to wait til next payday and have Rich do up a ha'pounder of the Dusk and Crossroads! Oh wait! I'm retired! DAMN!!! :roll:

Well, I'll figure something out. I always do.

The name, "Dark and Stormy" is copyrighted. By me. It's the name I gave to a blend I made up about a year ago. But...since I like you and won't be offering my blend for sale...go on ahead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I got the name Dark & Stormy from one of my favorite summer drinks. It's the official national drink of the Bahamas...2 oz. of Gosling's Black Seal Rum on the rocks in a collins glass...then fill with GOOD Ginger Beer (which is just strongly gingered Ginger Ale...not beer in any way). The drink is a great Summer cooler.

Maybe at some point I'll get to sip an ice cold Dark & Stormy while puffin' a big bowl of Dark & Stormy !

BTW: Today I sent a msg. to Rich at 4-N's asking about getting a half pound of Oriental Dusk.