Ranks?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the whole discussion of ranks seems to have morphed into self-ascribed titles, or reverse Portuguese naval rankage, which actually makes more sense to me than rankings based on post count. (I never did get how that's supposed to be an indication of anything meaningful... :confused: )

The first question is whether there should be ranks at all. Typically, rank connotes things like authority and status. Such commodities have their place in civilized communities, and can serve positive purposes. But often they are easily abused, both in how they're given and how they're used after they're received. I won't parse the specific positive and negative applications of authority and status, because they're really beside the key point.

The key point is that an individual's rank is meaningful only to the extent that it reflects the degree to which he furthers the purposes of the community. If we could devise a way to create such a ranking system, then I would say it's meaningful and even useful. If we devise some other kind of ranking system, we'll probably end up with effects we don't want, like intimidating newcomers, promoting quantity at the expense of quality, polarizing, fractionating, or alienating some members, and generally firing a 12-gauge at our own foot.

I spent the better part of my drive-time today puzzling out how to devise a decent ranking system. I came up with some ideas that are only half-baked at best, and I'm not sure they'd pan out even if they were fully baked. I guess I'm still not convinced that a ranking system is either necessary or useful for a forum of the kind we have here.

Nevertheless, if you want to see an example of a ranking system that's already in place and has been working pretty well for years, you can read how it works at these links:

It's a very practical system because the rankings are tied directly to the value each member provides to other members in answering their questions. That approach is perfect for a community whose purpose is support, wherein folks are looking for answers to their questions. There's no question that it would have some applicability here, but only to the extent that we use this community for that purpose. We all know from past experience that getting answers to our questions is only a part of why our whaht ayusses be brothahs, and evvihthang. :afro: Besides, I have no idea how to implement such a system on this BB, or whether it's even possible to do so.

Anyhow, rankings based solely on post count are virtually useless, as far as I'm concerned. The most useful thing I can think of doing with them is ignoring them. I'm OK with rankings that genuinely reflect an individual's value to the community (not that I'm proposing a way to do it)—with the essential qualification that participation in such a ranking system be completely voluntary (i.e., each BoB can elect not to participate via a preference in his profile, or something like that), and I'm definitely OK with self-ascribed titles.

Vito
Science Officer, Churchwarden, and Maestro de Tunage

Unfortunately the help system that Vito describes would require a plug in to be installed and we don't have that capability. Although I can possibly make a request for it to be included in future upgrades. I'm starting to wish I wasn't so lazy when I set this up and just hosted it myself. :lol:

I went to forumotion's support forum and a karma system has been suggested many times so hopefully it will be something we can implement in the future.

Having thought about it for a while, I think the whole idea of ranks is counterproductive to THIS group. It's always struck me that encouraging people to contribute, through whatever means, does much to increase a post count, but little to improve on the quality of what's posted. My impressions of this particularly group (premature, I know, but based on what I've observed on the Knox board, now seemingly in a coma, and knowing that many of the rats who jumped that sinking ship are now scurrying about below decks here... ;) ) is that those who have something to contribute will, and those who don't will just read.

It's refreshing not to have to plough through dozens of, "Way to go!" and, "Me too" posts, here, or the ubiquitous, "I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone here does, and will respond." (Why these people feel it necessary to announce that they don't know something, when silence would serve the same purpose is beyond me... Oh, yeah. They're increasing their post count. Forgot. ;) )

So, what purpose do the "ranks" serve, really? Vito pointed to Apple's discussion forum guidelines, which was certainly interesting, but do we need to encourage participation in a group where participation seems almost automatic? We're here because we want to be here...

Dunno. I see no reason for "ranks." We're all just folks, chatting, sharing, enjoying each other's thoughts. I've always thought the ranks to be silly.

-glp

glpease":91v47jdk said:
It's refreshing not to have to plough through dozens of, "Way to go!" and, "Me too" posts, here, or the ubiquitous, "I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone here does, and will respond." (Why these people feel it necessary to announce that they don't know something, when silence would serve the same purpose is beyond me... Oh, yeah. They're increasing their post count. Forgot. ;) )
I don't know how many times I have exclaimed, "WTF?" when seeing those types of posts. :lol:

I don't like ranks for several reasons.

First; It intimidates new members and makes them feel less valuable. It could also deter new membership.

It looks like an "old boy" club.

It denotes a false sense of "authority/knowledge/wisdom" IOW, he's a Yoda, he must be right, I need to do it his way, smoke his tobacco, buy his pipes, subscribe to his philosophy/morals/politics.

Even keeping track of number of posts does these things.

Eliminate number of posts and do not do ranks.

Greg did a very classy thing by assigning himself the number zero. To me THAT represents the character of this group. No pretenses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no measures connoting experience and the multitude of falacies it implies.

tj

j,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to whether or not ranks are a good idea, but I'm sure someone will answer your post shortly.

glpease":zqf3dk7a said:
...So, what purpose do the "ranks" serve, really?...
I think that in a forum like this (as distinct from a support forum like Apple's Discussion Groups), the principal purpose "ranks" serve is to boost the egos of those who are ranked. BAM! As soon as I see that red flag go up, I immediately distrust it as having much potential for any constructive purpose. Authority and status are bullcrap unless they are conferred by reputation gained through a history of repeated interactions, and in that case ranks are unnecessary except to those who pay attention to such things.

I don't. Not here. I barely pay attention to it when I'm buying pipes and tobacco, I'm sure as hell not going to pay any attention to it in the way I assess the character or worth of another humanoid. We already know the folly of "ratings" on tobaccos; why extend that nonsense to people? Take me for what I am; I'll do the same for you. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

I do pay attention to the good things people say about each other. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the negative things Person A says about Person B. In general, I've noticed that people who bother to focus on the good things in others don't spend much time dwelling on their shortcomings. And as if to balance itself out, "Bob" (the universe) seems to have arranged things in such a way that the people who are always focusing on what they don't like in others tend to not dwell on their positive attributes very much.

I suspect that's not an accident. :joker:

Vito

thomas james":m9i6u0sv said:
...It denotes a false sense of "authority/knowledge/wisdom" IOW, he's a Yoda, he must be right, I need to do it his way, smoke his tobacco, buy his pipes, subscribe to his philosophy/morals/politics...

tj
Now I'm crushed and disillusioned, whatever happened to tjism?

-Paul :elephant:

Slow Puffs":yeu88v8o said:
...Now I'm crushed and disillusioned, whatever happened to tjism?

-Paul :elephant:
Huh? TeeJayism is undoubtedly alive and well. I never doubted it. You just hafta know when he means it and when he doesn't, is all. Maybe it helps to be a paisano... 8)

Vito

LatakiaLover":j0xq36ql said:
j,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to whether or not ranks are a good idea, but I'm sure someone will answer your post shortly.
AroL, you're an ass...

NOW, this board is fully and 100% up and running. ;)

-Zip

TJism is not dead. It is in cacoon status and will emerge transformed into new beuatification.

:elephant: & :joker: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,be patient little ones.

tj,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yodasarious Transformatis Immaminiticus!

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

LatakiaLover":6503jadk said:
Actually, TJ's matchups are pretty funny. :lol:
Yeah, but he left ME off the list, and there's no emoticon for chopped liver...

There's no Dark Lord, either, so I guess I'll have to settle for :farao:

-Zero