Ranks?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
Well should we institute a ranking system? If so what kind and at what post counts?

NO! Ranks intimidate new members. :x

I would even opt to null post numbers.

:king: tj

Greeter

Teller

Teller Supervisor

Junior Loan Officer

Senior Loan Officer

Branch Manager

Regional Manager

National Manager

Planet Manager

Don Tomas

Thus sayeth the self proclaimed king :p

I like the whole "Working up to yoda" thing, but we could do without the buck private and board sergeant thing.

Actually, I think TeeJ has the right idea. What is that count business supposed to be for, anyway? The, "Chorus of Agreement" phenomenon (14,000+ posts for one guy on SF???) is all it yields.

My cynical side says the bb designers figured that COMMERCIAL interests might be served by such a device because it artificially boosts a site's post count, so gave installers the option, but it seems pretty pointless otherwise.

I kind of like the no-rank ranking system too, mostly for the reasons that TJ already mentioned. But either way is cool with me. 8)

Not only ^^^^^ that, but when you make Yoda, you begin to tell yourself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get a life, you :clown: !

:clown: tj,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ex yoda!

However,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the rank of "mutton buster" is totally acceptable!

Brethren (and Sistren, if we have any yet):

This is a subject that deserves some thought. I've read all the posts in this thread so far, and y'all have made some good points.

From my perspective, ranks based solely on post count are mostly meaningless...meaning, they have some meaning, but the meaning they have doesn't mean much. :roll:

I have many more thoughts on this subject but I want to cook 'em some more, and I'm outa time now. I have to drive to Escondido and back today, so I'll have plenty of rumination time. I can't say I'll come to any useful conclusions, but I'll get to smoke many pipes on it. I'll be off the board until much later tonight, but I'll post my full blather on this matter when I return.

Adios fer now, amigos. 8)

Vito

Food for thought. We can make up specially assigned ranks and assign them to people as we see fit. So for example, if GLPease came aboard and we wanted to assign him the rank of "Dark Lord" we could do that. So it doesn't have to be based on post count, we could use any criteria we wanted. The only problem that it may create is that it has to be done on an individual level and wouldn't be automated. Probably not a problem unless we get thousands of users.

I think j has a good compromise. Give people something to play with, but not have it hooked to post count.

No need to keep track of thousands, I wouldn't think. Even the largest pipe boards only have a few dozen regulars, and the regulars are the only ones who would care about such a thing. (Or, who would "earn" a title in some way... it takes a while before something like that happens.)

Actually, follow that train of thought, and it starts to feel like the board version of the "getting nicknamed by your buddies" thing common to tight groups, doesn't it? Firefighters, military personnel, frat houses, etc.

How bout "reverse rank." Everyone starts as a Yoda and works down to PFC. Sort of like the Portugeuse Navy, everyone's an admiral.

OR! Let everyone pick their own title.

His Lordship, the Most Holy, Supreme Commander, Duke of Bobdom, TJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Phd. Coprology, et al.

Everyone pick an emoticon for themselves. Fine to use the same ones. Based on YOUR "perception" of yourself at any given time. Could be a consensus sort of thing that "sticks." Like Yakimoto, Don Vito, Pee Bee, etc., but use emoticoms.

:pirat: gatewheel

:santa: pb

:joker: Vito

:affraid: Yak

:elephant: Puffs

:sunny: Carlos

:geek: Jason

:suspect: Yarnspooler

:confused: Noobie

:sleep: over sixty Bob

8) Castello Smoker

:roll: Pete Smoker

:bounce: Ewenice

:star: LL

:heart: pipetongue

:king: / :clown: tj

thomas james":r5kskwka said:
How bout "reverse rank." Everyone starts as a Yoda and works down to PFC. Sort of like the Portugeuse Navy, everyone's an admiral.

OR! Let everyone pick their own title.

His Lordship, the Most Holy, Supreme Commander, Duke of Bobdom, TJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Phd. Coprology, et al.

Good idea. Then, when someone has posted "too much," they're automagically ejected from the bro-hood as though they never existed... ;)

-Naught