Rapid Uptick In Covid Cases

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Spoke to my nephew, the M.D. this morning. The hospital where he practices, two weeks ago, Sunday, had no Covid cases. Cases are starting to surge with the new variant. So far, he says every new patient has been unvaccinated.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if/when the insurance companies say "no jabs/no pay!!" Just sayin'!! FTRPLT

I've read that the vaccine's is suppose to protect against the variants. I guess we're going to find out shortly.
Comments from the MN state epidemiologist are that the vaccines won't stop every vaccinated person from getting Covid or the variants, but that their symptoms and ensuing illness will not be life threatening. I've had the Pfizer vaccine and for a time felt "bullet proof" but given my age and Agent Orange impaired immune system will resume wearing a mask in doors when among people who may have not been vaccinated.
As the variant numbers are ramping up, I'm seeing more and more formerly anti-vaccers beseeching everyone to get vaccinated.

I have a friend that works in inhalation therapy in the SE USA and all the hospitals in his area are totally buried with Covid patients and have been for weeks. He’s sent several emails that sound dire. Unvaccinated people are essentially all they’re seeing with it. I think we’re going to see fed recommendations and state mandates to mask up pretty soon.

But then, almost half of the new cases from the delta variant in the UK and 85% in Israel are vaccinated people. And I have read the Delta variant is much less virulent than the original virus.

Hey Davy, that's not what we're seeing in Australia with Delta. It is far more contagious than the original variant and it is killing people in their thirties with no co-morbidities and ICU'ing teenagers. Out of 2200 or so cases we've had 11 deaths.

Yes vaccination will not stop you spreading it if you catch it, same as the standard flu jab. But it will stop you getting really sick, same as the standard flu jab.

But then, almost half of the new cases from the delta variant in the UK and 85% in Israel are vaccinated people. And I have read the Delta variant is much less virulent than the original virus.
Davy - I’d like to know your source for these statistic, if available. Everything I’ve seen say almost exactly the opposite. EVERY source I’ve seen…and there are MANY, state that the Delta Covid is much more virulent than the standard…and that new Covid cases are almost ALL among the unvaccinated.

Just one example (Univ. of Mass. Medical Scool) : Delta variant spurring uptick in COVID-19 cases largely in unvaccinated

Pretty much the same here in Oklahoma. Still having problems getting all our rural folks to get their jabs. The southeastern part of the state is very rural and very "tribal." Appears to be continued resistance to the vaccine/s in these areas. FTRPLT

EVERY source I’ve seen…and there are MANY, state that the Delta Covid is much more virulent than the standard…and that new Covid cases are almost ALL among the unvaccinated. Just one example (Univ. of Mass. Medical School) : Delta variant spurring uptick in COVID-19 cases largely in unvaccinated
It's exactly what I've read and what my M.D. nephew in MN and M.D. niece in Houston is seeing."The Delta Covid variant is much more virulent than the standard…and that new Covid cases are almost ALL among the unvaccinated." The MN state epidemiologist has stated, repeatedly, that the Delta variant is so virulent that it's only a matter of time before all the unvaccinated are stricken.
This just reported:
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN says it will require all employees to be vaccinated against the coronavirus by mid-September, becoming one of the latest health systems to do so as delta variant cases escalate rapidly around the country.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see what would happen if/when the insurance companies say "no jabs/no pay!!" Just sayin'!! FTRPLT
I recently required some oral surgery, extraction and bone graft in preparation for an implant. On the questionnaire to be filled out before seeing the surgeon were the questions, Within the prior two weeks have you been tested for Covid 19 and Have you been vaccinated for Covid19 and date(s)? I think it's just a matter of time before medical insurance companies raise the premiums for those who do not show evidence of vaccination.
I'd also be very surprised if life insurance companies continue to sell policies to the unvaccinated.
MN is a right to job terminate without cause state. Unless a person is protected by contract or bargaining unit, they can be fired from a job without cause. The employer does not have to specify cause for termination. I do foresee some folks losing jobs in MN because of refusal to vaccinate.

Last edited:
I think I heard a couple days ago that .05% of new cases are from the vaccinated. But, to be fair, I've also heard as much as 5%, but that was from a local news person who has a history of flubbing statistics. Someone not regularly working with statistics could easily screw up .05 and 5. Still, worst case scenario, 5% is a significantly low number, and that is just new cases. That number drops...maybe to that .05% of new hospitalized cases? That could be where that .05% number is cited.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, with even more conviction...I think it is acceptable that people decide against vaccination, but if you lose your job or can't travel or are limited in various ways as a consequence of that decision, I'm fine with that as well. You got a right, but so do other people. You aren't an island.

One of my closest friends is the president/CEO of a very large law firm. When vaccination became widely available, he notified everyone in the firm that to remain employed by the firm, they would need to be vaccinated. A couple of the firm's senior partners are elderly and have health issues. Contact with an infected person, although that person might have no symptoms, could prove fatal to the immune impaired. My friend told me one associate quit and the lead receptionist expressed extreme reservations about getting vaccinated. She'd apparently been with the firm well over two decades and was paid at a level not typical of a receptionist. He told her to get vaccinated within 30 days or clean out her desk. He ultimately took her to get the Johnson, one stick.

I think it is acceptable that people decide against vaccination, but if you lose your job or can't travel or are limited in various ways as a consequence of that decision, I'm fine with that as well. You got a right, but so do other people. You aren't an island.
In principle, I'd like to agree with you, but I cannot. Covid19 and the delta variant manifest differently in different people. A person could elect not to be vaccinated, contract the virus and show no signs of illness, and infect numbers of others, some with impaired immune systems. You have to think about whom you might infect.

In principle, I'd like to agree with you, but I cannot. Covid19 and the delta variant manifest differently in different people. A person could elect not to be vaccinated, contract the virus and show no signs of illness, and infect numbers of others, some with impaired immune systems. You have to think about whom you might infect.
Absolutely. That's why I said, "You got a right, but so do other people. You aren't an island."

I don't want to sidetrack this into Rubber Room heat, but this all makes me curious as to what exactly "USA" means to people. Is it a community? Is it about individualism? Is it about a cloth symbol with no greater, deeper meaning? If you think America is exceptional, how so? What makes it so? I have to admit I'm confused by it.

I believe it was Carlos who said something about a law, or some kind of precedent, about the govt having the power to mandate public health protection, and he cited something from the early 1900s (probably the Spanish Flu period, but I can't remember what that was now), but I know I've heard nothing about that from anyone, be it a health official or a journalist etc.

Headline in tomorrow's Mpls. Star Tribune:

COVID-19 hospitalizations in Minnesota, double in two weeks.​

“A person could elect not to be vaccinated, contract the virus and show no signs of illness, and infect numbers of others, some with impaired immune systems. You have to think about whom you might infect.”

This is the underlying rationale for getting vaccinated. Yes, you’re protecting yourself…but arguably more important is that you are arresting the spread of a disease that is deadly to a whole population. It’s how we wiped out Polio and Smallpox.

It was announced today that Covid variant cases are rising so rapidly in Ramsey County, where I live in St. Paul, that even those who have been vaccinated, should resume wearing a mask when indoors. There is the extreme concern that those of us who are vaccinated may contract the variant, have no symptoms, but infect the unvaccinated who may become seriously ill.