Rapid Uptick In Covid Cases

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am now convinced she is f-ing crazy. We spoke this afternoon and she admits that the Florida hospitals are packed with anti-vaxers suffering from the delta variant, but she still believes its all a hoax and refuses to get vaccinated.

Maybe it’s the heat?

But tell her to look at the bright side. When she gets it she’ll be closer to her friends.

People who have dedicated their life to something know nothing about that particular subject, yet people who have critically thought about something for a grand total of fifteen minutes seem to know everything about that same subject. Experts know nothing, but they're an expert on everything. It really is an amazing culture in which we life.

I think I've taken for granted that people have a general knowledge of how viruses work. Common knowledge stuff, you know? Unrelated to C-19. But I have no choice but to conclude I was absolutely wrong in that assumption. How they mutate. How they spread. How that spread can be mitigated, because of a very rudimentary understanding of how they function and live. Again, unrelated to C-19 in particular. Another spotlight on how our education system is failing. What in the heck are they teaching in middle and high schools now, but even back in the 40s and 50s, what the heck were they teaching? I'm grateful my sex ed class in 8th grade at least touched upon the life of a virus.

I wonder what the MN Vikings football season will be like. Several key players have refused to be vaccinated. No games will be rescheduled and for games cancelled no players will be paid on either team. The Vikings have the lowest percentage of vaccinated players in the NFL. Although they are my home team, I hope they have most of their games cancelled and their unvaccinated GM is fired.

Last weekend a couple of co-workers at the plant I work at passed. One of them (62yrs old) I knew and worked with for 21 years and the other (37 yrs old) for about 12 years.

I found out yesterday that a long time friend, with whom I lost touch after he moved to Chicago a few months before the pandemic, died a few months ago of CV19. He was 66 and had health problems due to his morbid obesity. Sad story, but not rare. He had a good media job, wife and two kids, when he had an affair on a business trip with a co-worker. He had a falling out with the co-worker, who proceeded to spill her guts to their employer and to my friend's wife. She filed for divorce almost immediately and my friend lost his job. At that point the pounds started ro pile on him. The last time I saw him I'd guess he weighed about 350 at about 5'8".

I feel sorry for the kids who suffer from poor parenting and life choices. In Walmart yesterday grabbing a can of paint and the lady ahead of me was maybe 5'6" and I'm guessing 175/180 ibs. Her daughter (assumption) was maybe 10/12 and at least 40 lbs. overweight. She will likely suffer from obesity her whole life. The irony was they loaded up 4 bags of cookies, chips, doritos, taki chips, etc. and crappy junk food. Sad to see.

I've thought to start a thread about this topic, but it's a loaded, heated topic. I recently spent some time with family, and the diet blew my mind. After giving it considerable consideration, I can't help but see it as neglect. From the moment each kid was born, the parents have been running a restaurant. Feeding each one of them what they want, having to come up with a different meal for each of them, and with that level of control in the hands of the children, you can rightfully guess they are extremely picky eaters: only wanting to eat junk. Energy drinks. Pop. Chips. Crackers. Nothing can have color, as in be green. Nothing can be "burnt", so everything has to be perfectly undercooked. You name a food hangup, and they have it. One of them is worse than the others, and I can't even believe I'm saying that because of how awful they all are. The father called, and I answered the phone. They wanted me to write down a list of things to go buy that the most problematic would eat. "Stuff to make Smores. Doritos. Ritz crackers. Strawberry something drink." And I stopped them and said, "None of this is food. This is all junk. When are you going to tell me something they will eat for a meal?" Their response was, "That's all they'll eat. Sorry. We battle this every day." They, as in the lot of them, won't eat an actual meal. I have to admit that I quickly got frustrated with the entire situation. I even found myself angry at times. I can't imagine what their future partners will think, let alone deal with and their eating disorders. Absolutely ridiculous, from A to Z. Half of them are overweight, while the other half show some signs of an eating disorder. And I don't take using those terms lightly. If I get a phone call tomorrow telling me one of them is in the hospital, in large part due to malnutrition, I would be the least bit surprised. That's where at least one of them is headed. And these aren't low income people. These families live in nice houses with new cars etc. No one could blame this on being about class or a bad economic situation.

Then I think about the health care system and how nobody wants to truly address its ills. This is the youth of this country, and this type of diet is going to be a huge burden on the system. We're all going to be paying for this, not just the individual.

Last edited:
This is all junk. When are you going to tell me something they will eat for a meal?" Their response was, "That's all they'll eat. Sorry. We battle this every day." They, as in the lot of them, won't eat an actual meal. I have to admit that I quickly got frustrated with the entire situation. I even found myself angry at times. Then I think about the health care system and how nobody wants to truly address its ills. This is the youth of this country, and this type of diet is going to be a huge burden on the system. We're all going to be paying for this, not just the individual.
I'd be hard pressed to count the number of times when I've been in the grocery and have seen morbidly overweight young women with two or three fat kids pushing a grocery cart filled with nothing but shit. I don't know the woman or the kids, but It makes me damn angry.
When I was a kid, Wonder Bread was the junk food of choice, and my parents may have bought one loaf every six months.

8/9/2021: I have a close female friend who specifically moved to Florida to avoid a mask mandate and the requirement of her long time employer to get vaccinated. She was semi-retired, getting paid 30K a year for working 18 hrs. weekly. Nothing will convince her that Covid is real; not a hoax.
8/30 2021: I am now convinced she is f-ing crazy. We spoke this afternoon and she admits that the Florida hospitals are packed with anti-vaxers suffering from the delta variant, but she still believes its all a hoax and refuses to get vaccinated.
11/29/2021: This morning, I received a text message from my friend's daughter. Covid bit her mother, hard. She's critically ill, hospitalized and still unvaccinated. On oxygen, but not on a ventilator, as yet. When she recovers (hopefully) I'll ask her if she's changed her mind about vaccination and mask wearing. I doubt that her mind will change at all.

Last edited: