Rapid Uptick In Covid Cases

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe this same thing is playing out all over the country. If anyone out there hasn’t yet had the opportunity to get their vaccination done I believe now is certainly the time...not only for your own sake but for all those around you.

The dropping of the mask mandate has never made any sense to me. And when even .05% of vaccinated people were getting a variant, they should have immediately come back with it. Just with this, they dropped the ball twice as far as I'm concerned. And for a doctor senator (or was it a doctor house rep?) to say masks do nothing? Do they get together with flat earthers on Friday for a meal? this thing is never going to end.

It's already been announced that St. Paul's public schools will require masking of all students. Apparently, the variant is striking unvaccinated children. While the school year was planned to be in school, it looks like distance learning may be an option, and if case numbers escalate distance learning may be the only option.
What's particularly alarming is the sudden escalation of cases in the prior 2.5 weeks. It really shows how contagious and virulent the variant seems to be.

I believe this same thing is playing out all over the country.
I read an article this morning cautioning people in rural communities who aren't vaccinated. Many rely on regional hospitals who have neither the equipment nor space to accommodate an influx of Covid patients. MN has a large rural community with many small towns that do not have hospitals.

From the late edition of Friday's Mpls Star-Tribune:

Minnesota's COVID-19 case growth triggers federal indoor mask guideline for most metro counties

Metro counties among 35 flagged for masks.
Federal COVID-19 health guidelines recommend that vaccinated residents of most metro area counties should wear masks indoors, according to an update issued Friday afternoon.
In the seven-county metro area, all counties are seeing worrisome case transmission rates, in addition to 29 more counties statewide, based on per capita case rates and percentage of tests that are positive.

The rapidly spreading delta variant has governments and private companies reassessing their mask policies just two months after federal officials said masks were not needed for the fully vaccinated.

https://us.hidester.com/proxy.php?u...1kcUyY2NRe1v43wKGPoD3tAUDynmOmJMhIjvGmkSm&b=7

Sorry, Blackhorse, I think you are over-reaching a bit, No where have I seen that this is like polio or smallpox, both of which were different types of illnesses.

Stats for Polio: In the United States, the 1952 polio epidemic was the worst outbreak in the nation's history, and is credited with heightening parents' fears of the disease and focusing public awareness on the need for a vaccine. Of the 57,628 cases reported that year, 3,145 died and 21,269 were left with mild to disabling paralysis.

Covid on the other hand has infected over 35 Million in the USA with well over 600,000 deaths.

Doesn’t seem even close to me.

And that doesn't include the number of covid longhaulers that is yet to be determined.

Maybe cancer is running rampant because we all got polio vaccinated, and it has nothing to do with how we eat, grow our food, live or whatnot. Cancer is the long term consequence to getting that vaccine, and we just don't know it yet. I jest.

Friday, a couple of my bosses had come down with the variant earlier in the week. A on site contractor foreman caught it last week and decided to come into work feeling under the weather and infected his whole crew of 7 workers. I suspect my bosses caught it from having to deal with them. Worse part is my bosses started showing the symptom starting Tuesday afternoon and worked all day Wednesday and Thursday. I have been going into work and distancing myself from everybody possible. I work for a bunch of idiots that have no clue.

Last edited:
From today's South Florida Sun-Sentinal

Broward and Miami-Dade hospitals lead US in COVID admissions

Hospitals in Broward and Miami-Dade counties admitted the most COVID patients of any counties in the U.S. in the last seven days, with more than 800 patients each, according to a White House report.
Signs of the pandemic toll on South Florida health systems emerged this week as South Florida hospitals enacted surge plans:

• Memorial Healthcare System set up triage tents outside its Emergency Departments and is using conference space to care for patients.
  • Broward Health and Cleveland Clinic Florida began converting regular rooms into COVID wards.
  • The two counties’ children’s hospitals are triaging a crunch of patients in their emergency rooms and admitting the most critically ill children with COVID. In July alone, more than 30% more children per day have been treated in Nicklaus Children’s Hospital’s emergency department than during the summer of 2019, before the pandemic began.
  • Cleveland Clinic Florida, which also has seen COVID patient numbers increase, will hold a vaccine clinic Saturday at its Weston campus from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in an attempt to curtail the tide of patients flooding in.
“We have seen a 200% increase in hospitalized COVID patients in the last month and a 400% increase in the last two months,” said Dr. Scott Ross, chief medical officer at Cleveland Clinic Weston.Last night, we put a 19-year-old who was unvaccinated on life support.”
Broward healthcare workers say they are emotionally and physically exhausted, and watching younger unvaccinated and formerly healthy people express regret as they are put on ventilators.

“We recently lost a patient, 51, and some of his last words were ‘I wish I could have gotten vaccinated. I wish I could have known that this was real. I wish I would have listened,’” said Juana Mejia, a nurse manager in the ICU at Memorial Hospital Miramar.
“In the last five days, the numbers started skyrocketing,” said Dr. Sunil Kumar, medical director of the intensive care for Broward General Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale. “It’s so sad because it’s preventable. As patients come into my care they are asking for vaccines and I tell them it’s too late for them for that.”

On Friday, local hospital leaders began pleading for people to get vaccinated, saying Delta is more aggressive than the original strain. A new CDC report calls the Delta strain of coronavirus “as contagious as chickenpox.”
At a news briefing Friday, Dr. Aharon Sareli, chief of critical care medicine for Memorial Healthcare System, said patients are flooding into emergency rooms and intensive care units quicker than during the two previous waves in Florida — and 98% of them are unvaccinated. Memorial has half of its 200 ventilators in use and has asked the state for more.

“We’ve seen a four-fold rise in COVID patients in the last month and the numbers grow every day,” Sareli said. Of 400 patients, more than 96% are unvaccinated. “We are asking everyone to get vaccinated. Vaccines are not bulletproof, but those who do get infected tend not to be critically ill. This is a preventable loss of life.”
Sareli said
only one patient of the 55 now in the ICU is vaccinated.
A teary-eyed Mejia at Memorial Hospital Miramar, spoke out too, saying she is working seven days a week and has witnessed COVID’s toll on the unvaccinated who are no longer older with underlying health conditions.
“I have never experienced anything of this magnitude,” she said. “I’ve seen so many lives lost. We have lost husbands and wives, brothers and sisters and young people, as young as 20. In the ICU, we’re the ones right in front of them, and when we get personal with them, we cry.”
Broward General’s Kumar said he expects the visible surge in cases to continue for at least another month, or two. He said he urges residents to wear masks and get vaccinated, noting that Miami-Dade’s and Broward’s low vaccination rate is the reason local counties are leading the country in COVID cases and hospitalizations.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that Delta is more contagious and more dangerous,” he said.
Healthcare workers’ pleas come as the daily COVID case counts across Florida surge to numbers not seen since the height of the pandemic in January. The large daily case count — 17,093 new cases on Thursday — has led to long lines at test sites, curtailed visitor hours at crowded hospitals and ramped-up mask restrictions in government facilities and businesses.
Jennifer Smith, a spokesman for Broward Health, said along with COVID patients, Broward Health has seen an increase in people with other serious illnesses exacerbated by delaying medical care.

Florida’s children also are being affected. At this time, only children 12 and older can get vaccinated, leaving younger kids vulnerable as the aggressive Delta spreads in communities. Pfizer is studying the use of its vaccine in children 5 to 11.
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood has admitted seven children with COVID — two are in intensive care. However, the hospital also is seeing an uptick in children arriving at the Emergency Department with COVID symptoms but not sick enough to be admitted. In June, 36 children were seen in the Emergency Department, and thus far in July, 190 have been treated, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Broward Health and its Salah Foundation Children’s Hospital have seven children admitted, including a 15-year-old on a ventilator, Kumar said.
Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in Miami has admitted 17 children and six are in intensive care. One is on a ventilator. The children range from 15 months to 19 years old — all unvaccinated.
“Kids do fairly well,” said Dr. Marcos Mestre, Nicklaus Children’s senior medical director of Pediatric Services. “Only 1 to 2% of them require hospitalization.”
Mestre said he expects COVID cases and hospitalizations to rise further in the next few weeks. “I am pleading with parents of children 12 and older to get them vaccinated now — even though it’s already the eleventh hour.”

Palm Beach County ranks eighth in the country for COVID hospital admissions in the last seven days with about 500 new patients.
Bethesda Hospital East, Bethesda Hospital West and Boca Raton Regional Hospital report they have 127 COVID patients, the majority of whom are unvaccinated.
All three tightened their visitor guidelines last week along with most hospitals in Palm Beach County, which now allow only one visitor during restricted hours.
Sun Sentinel health reporter Cindy Goodman can be reached at [email protected].

Last edited:
What is WRONG with people? Goes to show how much they care about their employees.
Or their wives, husbands, children, friends, neighbors...

I popped into Costco today and was encouraged to see at least half the shoppers back to wearing masks. Waiting in the check out line, I commented to a fellow masked shopper, "Well, we're masked up again." She remarked that she's been vaccinated, but not taking any chances. I said that's where I'm also at.

Last edited:
I had to check and I see where I live for a covid update. Mobile Alabama only 31 percent of the population is vaccinated. 961 new reported cases today with a 14 day increase of 292%. Article also states these numbers with this amount of unvaccinated is understated. Hospitals are up 120% in the last 14 days. New York Times covid update tracker.

Just saw on the news, of those new Covid cases, only .004% have been vaccinated.

Yowzers those stats are nasty, the other nasty stat you need to look out for, is how many were infectious in the community whilst contagious. Oh thats right, you guys aren't in lockdown...

Rushing around trying to get my 16 year old son vaxxed, but sadly due to a totally inept gov't here in Australia we've no Pfizer for him and AZ is not allowed for his age group. And of course the gov is too inept to manage to authorise any of the other vaccines. At least everyone else in my house is covered.

Yep the vac does very much decrease your chance of getting seriously ill from this new variant, go get it peeps.

If you want an ideal analogy to what Covid Delta will do in an unvaccinated population…think of what happened to the Native American Indian population when Europeans introduced Smallpox and other infectious diseases. Depending on the region, the specific tribe and the epidemic date (there were numerous periodic epidemics of the same disease) the population loss is quoted at between 50% to 90%!

One specific example…”The 1862 Pacific Northwest smallpox epidemic, which was brought from San Francisco to Victoria, devastated the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast, with a death rate of over 50% for the entire coast from Puget Sound to Southeast Alaska.[38] In some areas the native population fell by as much as 90%.
- Native American disease and epidemics - Wikipedia

I do my best to keep in touch with my nephew, the 62-year-old M.D., the son of my late sister, a woman who was the kindest, most thoughtful woman I've ever known in my life. My nephew and I spoke mid-morning about the situation at the hospital where he practices. He said there were several meetings the last few days where unit heads, doctors, nurses, aids, spoke, all with the same mantra, "Do no harm, treat every patient with respect, and do whatever you can to help them heal, even if they've elected not to be vaccinated."
I don't know if I could do that; to risk my life to treat someone who virtually allowed themself to be critically ill and, perhaps, infecting others.

I’ve seen many stories of folks whining like 5 year olds after coming down with Delta… for not getting vaccinated. Many of them seem to spin it that they "weren't able" to get the vaccination rather than they were anti vaxers and chose not to believe every credible medical source urging folks to do it. I feel very sorry for them.