RC Sands "Knarled Blasted Bent Apple"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHT

Reaction score
After realizing I wanted another "new" pipe (i had just bought 2 Morgan "Bones" pipes), i figured i'd spy the estates on ebay (where i've had luck in the past). I watched, and waited.
I spotted some things that caught my eye, known makers and shapes i like. then i saw this one.

i had to do some research on the maker, but after reading a few reviews, knew who he learned under (Tim West), i figured that solid piece of briar was probably going to be a super sturdy bit of equipment for a long while.

got it yesterday, fired it up that night with some old Esoterica Dorchester from about '06. still too moist, but gave it a shot anyway.
after two quick lights with the bic in the steady KS breeze... it took off. no whistles, easy draw, passed a cleaner easily.

the photo on the ebay auction didn't do it justice, then again, maybe he wanted the photos dark?
+beautiful dark chocolate stain, very thick.
-heavily pitted briar, which could be why the thick stain and bad lighting in the pictures in the auction?
+i don't mind pits as long as they don't interfere with the smoking capabilities of the pipe, these seem to be external.
+super thick walls, smoked very cool - also why i'm not worried about the pits.
-coated chamber, not a fan of them in general. didn't seem like there were any pits in the chamber upon inspection.
+love the craggy rim, don't have to worry about charring the rim.
+bit is reportedly a machine made generic bit, not highly polished acrylic, but again, that's not what i'm after. i actually don't prefer acrylic stems.
-the weight wasn't too bad, it's not like a Ser Jacapo double Maxima in weight, only 66 grams? just a tad bit too heavy to really sit back and clench it for a while and read a book, have to relax the jaw a bit.
+at least it's easy to grip in the hand, and not hot.
+it kinda sits, or leans, either to the left or the right. a bonus, as most of my billiards/pots don't sit up after i load them and spill some tobacco if i set it down.
+as i said, passed a cleaner no issues with a slightly bent stem, machine made bit, and no whistling/gurgling. draught hole lets plenty of air through.
+i was grilling and had to set it down a few times to come back inside and get something. came back out, it took right off puffing again.
+burned really well, almost the whole surface of tobacco, and went all the way down except some wet dottle.
+i think i paid less than $50 total (with shipping), for a brand new pipe that smokes great. more than happy.

You did a very credible job of posting pics IHT. Many have done far worse. Also, your description is very comprehensive and thorough. We pipe geeks appreciate all that detailed info. Finally, that pipe is very attractive and one that I would have chosen.

In any case thanks for the positive contribution to the forum. We could use more posts like yours right now!  :)

Cheers,

RR

thx. took me a bit to figure out that built into this forum is a hosting service.
i may need to make my original pics smaller, sorry about that. they're huge.

got a new pipe in, will post pics when i start grillin.