RE: Possible tax pipe tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED_X

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if you are taking the threat of the new tobacco tax seriously, are are currently buying extra tobacco just in case? The bill doesn't seem like it should even get out of committee but since it potentially would raise tax revenue you can never tell.

Ed

I don't think it will get out of committee. That said, I'm going to start laying up some of my favorites. Prices and taxes aren't going to go down.

petertschantz":wz6begms said:
I don't think it will get out of committee. That said, I'm going to start laying up some of my favorites. Prices and taxes aren't going to go down.
That was pretty much my thought as well.

ED_X":58dbxegr said:
I'm just wondering if you are taking the threat of the new tobacco tax seriously, are are currently buying extra tobacco just in case? The bill doesn't seem like it should even get out of committee but since it potentially would raise tax revenue you can never tell.

Ed
Yes, I am buying, irrespective of this bill's prognosis. The threat is constant, continuing, and will eventually the tax ax will fall.

Aristokles":0rr3z156 said:
Yes, I am buying, irrespective of this bill's prognosis. The threat is constant, continuing, and will eventually the tax ax will fall.
Agreed. In some way shape or form we are going to be paying quite a bit more for tobacco, and I would imagine from the looks of things much sooner than later. Personally I also think we are going to see strict limitations placed on online retail.

I am smoking less, and socking away what I can afford. But unfortunately I think I picked up this wonderful pastime a bit too late in the game to be able to afford socking away a life time supply. :x

I'm not going crazy on buying but I do pick a tin when I hit the B&M once a week. I will likely do another bulk buy of Plum Pudding to sock away.

No matter what the pantywaists might decide, it's a great comfort to have my own preserve safely tucked away in Masons in the basment.

If this becomes the case, so much for ODA and larger sized pipes! We will all start smoking grp 1 or 2 sized pipes like the Brits used to 'cause of their tax situation in the past :twisted:

The FDA already has control of tobacco. Sometime between 4/13 and 6/13 they will make known their regulations. To set these standards is in their historic purview of regulating
alcohol, as nicotine and alcohol are drugs. On top of that the politically correct thing for them to do and the general megadose of tobacco regulation in many countries makes me almost certain that we will shortly follow in the footsteps of the heavily regulating countries, Canada, Mexico, Australia.

This is no longer a congressional issue; we are far past that.

I've been taking it very seriously.

I also believe the first threat is internet sales. Increased taxes will hit after that.

Remember Aesop's fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper? The Ant worked hard all summer and stashed away supplies for the winter. The Grasshopper had a good old time during the summer. Came the winter the Grasshopper knocked on the Ant's door because he was starving/out of tobacco. You may draw your own conclusions!

bosun1":l6m2vblq said:
Remember Aesop's fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper? The Ant worked hard all summer and stashed away supplies for the winter. The Grasshopper had a good old time during the summer. Came the winter the Grasshopper knocked on the Ant's door because he was starving/out of tobacco. You may draw your own conclusions!
Exactly. Preparing for the pipe tobacco apocalypse is no small matter, at least for those who envision themselves in this for the long haul. It is highly unlikely that undue taxes or federal regulation on briar pipes is ever going to become a reality. Tobacco, however, is a very different story.

This is why I have been cellaring seriously since 2007, with a major uptick beginning in early 2009 when SCHIP was passed and the RYO debacle occurred. This is also why I routinely pass up purchasing otherwise desirable pipes; so as to have more to invest in continuing to build the cellar. It would certainly not be much fun to have a lot of nice pipes, but nothing worth smoking in them. I can buy the desirable pipes later. Desirable tobaccos, maybe not.

I figure that when the taxes and/or draconian regulations hit the OTP class and many of my favorite blends, which are made by the small boutique blenders on both sides of the pond become unavailable (because they will go out of business), then I can start investing as seriously in filling my pipe racks as I now do in filling the floor-to-ceiling shelves in my cellar.

An added bonus, besides of course the obvious, is that at that time too, the value of my cellar will have increased exponentially, thus providing a tidy return on investment in those tins I now longer savor. That is, at least if I would be allowed to sell them without breaking one or another law. If not, then I suppose I would just have to smoke them.

As is typically said when this topic comes up: "buy it cheap, stack it deep."

Unless I get an opportunity for an unusual pipe that really catches my eye, or happen to win one with a lowball bid, I am spending the majority of my disposable income on my cellar. It is simply a matter of common sense, as some of the brothers have stated.

"buy it cheap, stack it deep."
In Floriduh (Tallahassee), a 3.5 oz. tin of Peterson blend will run you $22.75. A pound of Lane's 1-Q runs $68.00, so I am going for the pounds off the internet while still possible. From what I've read the goal of this administration is to eliminate tobacco as it is evil and killing our children, that is part of the Obamacare mandate. What a load of crap. No distinction between cigarettes and pipe tobacco of course...they aren't that smart. So my plan even at my late stage in life is to load up a cellar with at least 10-20 pounds as a backup for the future.
It is going to happen...just a matter of time

This topic makes me giggle. I generally don't fret too much about things I can't control but this topic has ruffled my feathers.

While I am understanding of those who buy their tins en masse for the impending and inevitable tax hike on pipe tobacco, I, myself, buy tins primarily to age them simply because I like the taste of aged tobacco better. To each his own. But the hysterical undercurrent that is running through the veins of our hobby does nothing for me. I mean, I buy a tin of tobacco for say $10-13 and smoke it all week when a cigar smoker spends that on one cigar. They are tolerating it, maybe buying less I dunno, but I hear nothing at my B&M about the outrageous prices of cigars! If they can't afford one, I guess they don't buy one.

I have about two years worth of tins, all potentially Ebay tins if needed, all there for convenience and to age and as an investment if the bottom of my bank account falls out. I don't mind paying double or more of the price of a tin of something I really want and don't obsess how much money the seller made. Buyer beware. That said, not one of my purchases would I NOT buy if they were 20-50% higher in price, nor would I feel contempt to where that money is going. It's just how it needs to be, apparently and it's my little part, IMHO. My thought is that I do so little to contribute to the government anyway beside harshly criticizing it (then talk proud about being a American) that the least I can do is pay an reasonable amount of tax to help the state of our financial problems in this nation. I also remember that don't have to buy anything and can horde my money how I please.

I felt motivated to write this because I know there are people who share my opinion and say nothing. Maybe we're in a minority in the pipe smoking world but the differences of opinion is what makes forums great to begin with so let's throw them out there dammit! ;)

I understand your sentiments.

I have built up my cellar for a few reasons.

1) To have aged tobacco in the future

2) To have tobacco in the future

3) I expect in the near future internet sales of tobacco will be shut down

and related to that one

4) My local B&M carries very little of what I like to smoke.

Regarding taxes I already pay a huge amount. I pay my fair share and some others share as well. I don't want to pay more in taxes.

"It's just how it needs to be, apparently and it's my little part, IMHO."

"How it needs to be" does not, I think, include putting buckoo big bucks out there for our pigfucking greedy congressman to direct into their pockets; nor does it justify leaning on pipe smokers for the sins of cigarette smoking; nor does it include installing more surveillance cameras, to which, at least in part, great gobs of money such as this are likely to be directed.

These toady twats can stay the fuck out of my life, thank you. As it is everywhere apparent that this cannot be accomplished-they are coming for us, and very soon-I hereby do cram my 150 lb cellar down their collective throats, which will probably come in at 175 lbs before I'm done.

Eat me, bite me, you pieces of pigshit pollywonkers.