RE: Possible tax pipe tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"If you have to ask you probably can't afford it" is not something I'd like to see in the pipe world. My hat's off to the guys that can live and spend like that. Unfortunately, most pipers probably fall into the "having to ask" category. Myself included.

I personally believe there's something wrong with paying as much or more in tax than the actual worth of a product. Be it tobacco, liquor, whatever. If (and when) pipe tobacco hits the price range our brothers in the UK I'll most likely rethink my commitment to the hobby.

$30+ per 50g tin? :pale:

alfredo_buscatti":z91ks6lh said:
"It's just how it needs to be, apparently and it's my little part, IMHO."

"How it needs to be" does not, I think, include putting buckoo big bucks out there for our pigfucking greedy congressman to direct into their pockets; nor does it justify leaning on pipe smokers for the sins of cigarette smoking; nor does it include installing more surveillance cameras, to which, at least in part, great gobs of money such as this are likely to be directed.

These toady twats can stay the fuck out of my life, thank you. As it is everywhere apparent that this cannot be accomplished-they are coming for us, and very soon-I hereby do cram my 150 lb cellar down their collective throats, which will probably come in at 175 lbs before I'm done.

Eat me, bite me, you pieces of pigshit pollywonkers.
Well, yeah, my thoughts exactly, just a slight difference in the words between what I would put down for posterity and what I use after eight beers in the bar!

alfredo_buscatti has it right. Exactly my sentiments...and since we are on the subject....those would be my words exactly, if I may borrow them.

We value consumers are consistent. We believe prices should be as low as possible and reflect the costs of manufacture and distribution. We manifestly do not want to pay extra for unnecessary embellishment or provide tribute to the favorite causes of the world's Henny Pennys, thanks very much. Those who want to contribute separately to worthy causes of their own choice may do so as long as the money comes from their own pockets.

my 2 cents:

I am a cheapo but would break down and pay $20 for a tin now and again if I had to BUT if I can get a pound of it now much cheaper and let it age, I will do that.

My biggest concerns aren't really the taxes (thought that is important to consider) but availability. I fear the day when I can't get stuff online or stuff from overseas becomes hard to get or impossible to get because of regulations.

I am not a snuff user but I hear that several years ago due to regulations some snuffs became really hard to get that were made overseas. I would hate for that to happen to my tobacco.

As I read more and more about availability, I begin to think about what the taxes will do to the pipe and pipe tobacco and cigar industries. Obviously the first thing smokers will do is cut back, cut down. They will cut down in direct proportion to what they can still afford. Most right now can smoke what they like when they like, at least in the pipe world. Cigar smoking, right now for me was cost prohibiting. I was buying $200 boxes for 20 or 25 smokes. 2 or 3 cigars/day was too rich for me. Pipe smokers have been blessed as so long as their careful about the pipes they buy, it has been affordable. But what are either industries going to do about a 20% or more cut in sales? This will no doubt cause major change. The cigarette companies are so big and have so much money that they can readjust without shutting down; not so E.P. Carillo or Solani, or so I would think.

Is it wrong that I immensely enjoy my new found borrowed word "pollywonker"?

Glad you like. As a made-up word it can mean whatever you decide that it means. I was trying for:

1) polly/policy or many
2) wonker/maker, as in "policy wonks," i.e. Bill Clinton's ability to deftly formulate public policy
3) wonker/wanker

I was trying to say that antis' public policy was akin to wanking; nothing quite so insulting as to out someone's private pleasure, using it to belittle their so-called otherwise legitimate action.