Real Aussie Licorice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
My wife recently got me started on high end black licorice candy. She wanted a bag for Valentine’s Day. So I went to a local high end grocery store where they apologized that they didn’t have much to choose from. Jeez. They had like ten different kinds. Even Twizzlers...way down in the bottom corner. Yuk. Like chewing plastic. But I finally picked one and it was well received. Then I looked on Amazon. Wow! I ended up ordering four contenders...looking for the best of the best of the...well, you get it. There was Panda and Wallaby and Darrell Lea and Gimbels Scotty Dogs. The amazing thing is how different they all were. Really different recipes and consistency from firm to soft and almost moist.

The winner? Hands down...Gimbels Scotty Dogs. Wonderful stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006A4MO68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blackhorse":nuab85u9 said:
<snicker> low on sugar <snicker> yeah...right.
I've enjoyed some European Licorice in the past where the sugar content was minimal at best, and the licorice flavour was high. That was much to my taste. Pretty intense and almost spicy as a result.

And that was many moons ago so don't remember what it was, other than it was somewhat firm as opposed to soft. Chewy.

That's what I'd gravitate towards if I could find it again.

Cheers,

RR

Wow BH, of that list I've only heard of Darrell Lea, I'll have to dig up some Gimbals as I love the Darrell Lea stuff. 

Thanks

Tim

I love good black licorice. It is in my top five of favorite candies. I usually prefer the Scandinavian brands.
My current favorite:
licori10.jpg