REALLY aged Blue Boar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
I'm pondering buying a roughly 50-year old one pound tin of Blue Boar, as Morley's Best is one of my favorites. The price isn't too obscene, and it appears that the seals are all intact (no obvious signs of rust, spots, etc.) My question is: Would a burley blend that old be worth trying? I doubt it would age as well as a virginia based blend, but I'm also not sure if it would have degraded significantly. My experience with burley blends (at least those without a lot of topping) is that they remain pretty stable, but I've never tried any with more than 10 years old.

I opened a tin of Arrowhead Pipe Club mixture that had many years on it. Had a amazing fleeting scent when first opened. But it is still a fine, simple, burley blend. If it lost anything over it's years of storage, maybe it was some strength. Then again, maybe nothing at all. Never have nailed down the date when it was produced. Could have been 35 - 45 years ago. If that tin of Blue Boar has a bit of puffiness to it, that should also indicate a good seal.