Reaming the cake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Senior Reamer (aka Kleen Reem--that's what I have) does have a limited range...however, I've had great results using it akin to the Savinelli Fitsall reamer; I take it to the smallest setting and just use carefully on larger bowls. Seems to work for me, anyway.

8)

Kyle Weiss":w82xdkva said:
The Senior Reamer (aka Kleen Reem--that's what I have) does have a limited range...however, I've had great results using it akin to the Savinelli Fitsall reamer; I take it to the smallest setting and just use carefully on larger bowls. Seems to work for me, anyway.

8)
I'd have to agree with Kyle, but then I don't have a bowl bigger than the limits of my old Kleen-Reem so I've not had any problems with using it. It's a great tool when used regularly as part of a maintenance "program" for your pipes !

I just refurbed a Charatan Belvedere Canadian that I got recently. I went ahead and took the cake all the way down to the wood and am starting new. I did the last part with sandpaper and that works very well to get the last of it without gouging the wood itself. This pipe is as good as any I have now. 8)

What I'm pondering about the "bird perch" sand tubes is for pre-carbed bowls. I know one can wet the stuff down and get most of it out, but sometimes it's a little thicker or stubborn. A dowel with sandpaper is also a great idea, and probably cheaper/more economical than special birdie perch covers.

8)

Just wrap some sandpaper around the handle of an old toothbrush. The rounded end and surface make it easy to get all parts of the bowl. With a dowel it's flat and the bottom of the bowl can be more difficult. FWIW.

Shows what you know. I was thinking about rounding the end of the dowel. :p Plus, all of my stupid old toothbrushes have square handles. :(

8)

Yeah, the old Oral-B ones do have square handles, don't they? I'm talking about the newfangled ones with the no-slip grip and ergonomically designed dental tool shaped head. It's the latest in pipe restoration. :p

I'm a Nevadan that actually uses a toothbrush for its original intended purpose, so I suppose that deserves some mention. :lol: I think most of the old ones are in the gun cleaning kit... :scratch:

8)

Ah, yes, the multi-purpose toothbrush. I definitely think you should explore each of these excellent ideas and report back.

P.S. Old toothbrushes worn to caterpillar-on-a-stick condition make excellent auto detailing brushes, particularly for removing stubborn deposits from the crevices around lights and door handles. But you shouldn't recycle them back to oral hygiene service.

Have to agree on the Senior Reamer not expanding wide enough for the bigger bowls. Plus the tapered nose doesn't do much for bowls that are pretty perpendicular. And the knurled handle plays hell on my hand unless I wear a glove if I have multiple pipes to ream.

Got in one of those English made Mitchell Thomas reamers, and don't particularly like that much. Very clumsy.

Perhaps I'll try the dowel and sandpaper thing next.

My Maestro poker needs another major go-over, as well as one or two others that have built up too much cake.

I'm just not good on using a penknife or some such. Too knutzy.

:|

Cheers,

RR

(Talking to hear myself talk here)

Keep after it with the pipe nail, and the rest of the stuff
you're talking about falls into the category of "toys to
play with when you're bored and want something to do
with yourself."

:face:

I agree with the pipe nail therapy suggestion once you've got the pipe in order . Knives, sandpaper, reamers, and toothbrushes are terrific for refurbishing the nasty estates with thick cakes and the like. After that,a pipe nail will keep it dottle free and the cake nice, thin, and solid.

Agreed. My only use for the Kleen Reem at this point is for newly-acquired estate pipes...the pipe nail is a wonderful invention that ain't pretty, but sure does work. 8)

Yak":stq39pjw said:
(Talking to hear myself talk here)

Keep after it with the pipe nail, and the rest of the stuff
you're talking about falls into the category of "toys to
play with when you're bored and want something to do
with yourself."

:face:
Actually I forgot about your prior post on this Yak.

OK, so I'll have a go at this. But first need to remove the excess......

:pale:

Cheers,

RR

I got a cheap butner reamer and my favorite pipe has some cake built up. the cake is mostly just below the rim of the bowl and the flattens out below so its basically like a lump around the bowl. Can anyone tell me how to ream it with this butner reamer, i can't figure it out lol

KevinM":z8szz09k said:
So has anyone tried use of the sandpaper boidy perch for smoking pipe maintenance?
%CE%95%CE%B9%CE%BA%CF%8C%CE%BD%CE%B1012%CF%84%CF%85.jpg

2197480061b39f1350ec6125208b0ef704af312f.jpg

21974799734eee32ee9757a283d35726fb99273a.jpg

In some pipes i use these.