Reaming Tips and Tools

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've wondered which reamer for the bowl is gentlest on the pipe. I see that Edwards in Ft. Collins, CO sells the Butner reamer. Never heard of it.

Good tips, DPG. One thing about using a pocket knife is that the profile of the knife doesn't fit the curvature of the interior bowl profile, and you have to be very careful not to get the tip of your knife too far down or you will be reshaping the heel section, or gouging it. Not the best method. I'll have try the sandpaper rolled around the finger, as well as look into a Butner. I think an old green Scrubby scouring pad would work a bit better than sandpaper, as at least it would be soft enough not to be too abrasive, and would fit better over a finger.

Lisa Marie

Just to be contrary I've had good luck with the Sr. Reamer in all but a couple of small pipes; it's quick, easy on briar and shaves clean. I don't own a bowl over 3/4", though. True, the bottom of the bowl needs to be hand scraped/dressed if required.