Recommenations on Wrist Watches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I go through wrist watches...

I used to buy Timex... two years... breaks... toss it.

In 2005 I bought a Swiss watch with the cross (like the knife)... damn if the cross didn't fall off inside the glass and screw up everything... took it to the watch repair and they said "have to send it away for repair". What is a good, reliable wrist watch?

I prefer the the leather strap.

I love my Citizen Eco-Drive that I've had for over ten years.

jhuggett":xhsyhry2 said:
I love my Citizen Eco-Drive that I've had for over ten years.
I saw those in Costco today... never heard of them before... but good to know....

BTW... I took the watch back to Costco and got a refund :D

The cool part of them is they never need a battery or winding. They also seem to be pretty well built.

If their them kind of watches that go by motion... remember I'm a senior citizen :shock:

I have a Fossil. Been very happy with it; did have to replace the stem two months ago ($20!!). Don't know if the come with leather straps. :D FTRPLT

Casio makes a good cheap digital. Of course my preference is my grandfather's Elgin wind up. I only wear it on special occasions. My everyday watch is a Swiss with my company's logo on it that our president gave me. I have been wearing it everyday for over a year and the cross is still in tact. I would prefer a pocket watch but not many manufactures put watch pockets in pants anymore.

Fake Rolex.. By the Case. Wear one, sell the rest at the Flea Market under a big Rolex sign.. "These normally go for 1400 but I'm in a good mood and for whatever reason you remind me of my son/uncle/father/best friend from the war, so I'm gonna let you have one for 500...." Won't be long and you'll be able to afford the real deal. (Yes I've seen the write ups in Segar A fish and noddo and I know Rolex is far from a high end deal... But Joe Plumber doesn't read segar a fish and noddo)

I hate to admit it but I love pocket watches.. Never carry one but I have several dozen. I guess I'm turning into an ole geezer.. Speaking of ole geezers.. Other than knowing when to take your meds why do you need a watch anyway???

After all that I have to third the nomination for Citizen.. Top Shelf stuff, middle shelf price.

Sun dials have few moving parts but don't work in Canada certain times of the year.

Get a Casio digital.

Mrs. Puffs scan set it for you.

It'll virtually run forever on a car battery.

Al Gore is against them because they contribute to Global Warmin and don't decompose in land fills.

Casios have built in stop watch ability. You can time carnal pleasure with them. In your case, you can use the alarm feature to wake you up.

The most important feature is the face... numbers... not digital... all the numbers... my eyesight is not getting better with the years :roll: ....

Here's a citizen...

And I assume there is some way to tell what time it is?

:roll:

Mine is real simple, just the clock and day. I've never understood those kind of watches.

My favorite watch of all time is an Omega Constellation stainless quartz like this one-- Omega
My first one lasted 14 years before I lost it. It went through a bunch of wood splitting, fishing and swimming in salt and fresh water, hunting trips and other rough service. It always kept very accurate time only gaining a few seconds a month. The band is very comfortable and doesn't catch hair or pinch.

If you're looking for a pipe smokers brand then this may be of interest--- For pipe smokers

Jim

I went to all four Costcos here, each store seemed to have different selections. The last one this afternoon had a watch that jumped out at me... very readable but a little more than I expected to pay. It's a Tissot. The sales counter clerk said it is made by Omega... their Omega prices were out of sight. If I can find a picture, I'll post it.

I too have to vote for citizen eco drive.I have had mine since 2000. I wear it everyday and I work in a factory. Plus I wear it hunting and fishing and everything else I do. Plus I too love pocket watches. But late 19th century Walthams are not practical to wear to work in a factory. But they do keep excelant time.