Recommend me a 'baccy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoosierPuffer

Reaction score
So, I have finally worked through the sampler tobacco order. (No, I haven't finished them all - but have tried each)

Here's what I have that I like:

English Luxury - my favorite - great stuff!
Virginia Long Cut - tastes great
Captain Black - pretty good taste, and I like the smell
Perfection - decent taste, love the smell
Optimum - don't like the taste, love the smell

What can you recommend to me? I have found I like something that is very smokey (English Luxury) or something that is very sweet. The Virginia Long Cut is good, but just not very exciting.

My mouth doesn't like extra additives very much in the Optimum and Perfection - look out tongue!

So, what about really smokey tobaccos you can recommend with some good flavor, but not a lot of additives?

Try some McClellands Blackwoods Flake. My favorite blend of all time. All virginia, smooth and sweet.

Mr_Jeff":cq3yz0pz said:
Try some McClellands Blackwoods Flake. My favorite blend of all time. All virginia, smooth and sweet.
I second this recommendation, one of my favorites as well.

McC 5100 is one of my favs. Its more complex than a light VA, and not as sweet(very earthy) and has a great room note.

RQ

Thanks for the recommendation as well! :)

Some additional notes about my pipe smoking habits:

• I'm a late evening piper (after 10 PM)
  • I pipe outside - never inside - room note is unimportant at this time to me (at least until I build a study room with air filtration in my house, but that is not yet here!)

HoosierPuffer":te166n90 said:
Mr_Jeff":te166n90 said:
How's the smell?
If you mean "ketchup", I can't help you. I've never had that impression from McClellands blends. That's just me though, I'm not saying other people don't smell it. Individual physiology makes these things too subjective.

In my opinion, the tin aroma is sweet and spicy and a little earthy. The flakes break up nicely to be as fine or as course as you like. It is a rich smoke without being too strong. The sweetness come through in the smoke, but it is subtle. I think this would be a great blend to have after a good steak.

Try these in your next round of samples

Rattray's:

Marlin flake & Hal O' The wynd

McClelland's

St. James Woods
Beacon
2015 {bulk }

GLP

Fillmore { I'm still working on my first tin of this, but it's really good so far ! }

I really like the Shortcut to Mushrooms description Just For Him has, but holy cow - that is an expensive sample at $3.60 + $7 for s/h.

Hm.

old_salt":t89bmhxs said:
Try these in your next round of samples

Rattray's:

Marlin flake & Hal O' The wynd

McClelland's

St. James Woods
Beacon
2015 {bulk }

GLP

Fillmore { I'm still working on my first tin of this, but it's really good so far ! }
Blackwoods flake doesn't have the traditional ketchup smelll; give it a try. I recenty tried what the forum calls the Trinity: Marlin Flake, Hal O' The Wynd, and Old Gowrie; get one of all 3, wonderful VA flavor.

I'm a big Orlik Golden Sliced smoker. I love this tobacco.

Also, I discovered Skandinavik, a tinned by Stokkebye and now buy it 3 cans at a time; Not sure it's pure VA, but the VA comes out in it for me.

Short list of Favorites...
Rattrays Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake
S. Gawiths FVF Bulk or Tin
Presbyterian Mixture
Astley's #55 Elizabethan
Frog Morton on the Town

I've been smoking a ton of Frog Morton Across the Pond lately. It's distracted me from all the other blends I have open. It's a fantastically flavorful English mixture with Syrian latakia. The flavor is incredible.

HoosierPuffer":vs73ojoq said:
I really like the Shortcut to Mushrooms description Just For Him has, but holy cow - that is an expensive sample at $3.60 + $7 for s/h.

Hm.

Just need to go ahead and order a pound of it. :lol: :lol!:

Oddly, hardly any of the tobaccos mentioned are English style, which you seemed to like.

So in the deep, sweet, Latakia yumyum camp, I will recommend Butera Pelican and Samuel Gawith Commonwealth.

If you want something very tasty, smells good and is very budget friendly than I recommend Finck's Golden Cavendish from Fincks Cigar Company.

Well, based on the reviews and your recommendations, I thought I'd try these first:

Blackwoods Flake - very excited about this - my first flake
Shortcut to Mushrooms - very excited - I like unique, and I'm frankly a fan of Hobbits
Commonwealth - should be a solid deliverer as well - they were out of the tins so they sent me twice as much bulk!

Oh, and I picked up some Savinelli filters and clean n cure solution...