Recommendation Needed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJack

Reaction score
I smoke mainly Virginias. They are generally low on the nic meter. That's usually the way I like it but I am thinking that I would like to find something for those times when I need to sweep away the cobwebs. I want a noticeable amount of Ol' St. Nic but not overbearing. On the old 1 to 10 scale, I think I would like something about a 7. Any Suggestions would be appreciated. The ground rules are that I don't want an English, I don't want tons of Perique and I don't want straight Burley.
O.K. , READY , GO!!!

SG Best Brown Flake is an excellent Virginia, with a noticeable nicotine content. I highly recommend it.

McConnell's Red VA is nice with a little perique and a noticeable but not overwhelming nic hit.

Jim

A widely over looked blend which is IMHO excellent is Reiner Long Golden Flake. Mainly Virginia, with White Burley and a touch of Perique, it comes in a 100 gram 'paint tin' which is suitable for a small tobacco storage tin long after the contents have been sacrificed to your pleasures. It is medium in body, fairly high in nicotine and a truly superlative smoking experience!

Some other fine candidates all medium bodied and a fair dose of vitamin N:

Rattray's Hal 'O Tha Wynd
Rattray's Marlin Flake

SG FVF Full Virginia Flake
SG BBF Best Brown Flake

G&H Brite CR Flake
G&H Brown Unscented Flake (medium to full VA and Burley a great deep winter blend for enjoyment by the fireplace while storms are brewing outside)

GLP Fillmore Vaper Broken Flake
GLP Montgomery VA/Kentucky
GLP Cario VA/Oriental

C&D Briar Fox VA crumble cake light in body but plenty of vitamin N
C&D Exhausted Rooster VA/Kentucky Burley Flake

Two Friends Redwood (this one starts out fairly tame but the vitamin N builds) very complex with hints of chocolate though NOT chocolate flavoring.

If none of these trip your trigger, we can talk of stronger stuff :twisted:

G&H's Dark Birdseye, or Shag are nice! :tongue: Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Can anyone give me a read on SG Kendall Cream Flake. It seems to have a fairly large nic kick.

Kendal Cream is probably a good bet, Jack. It is lightly topped with something, but not the "lakeland essence". It smells something like gingerbread, actually, and the taste came through to me as somehow refreshing, without being minty. It's weird, and good.

Strength wise, it will do what you want it to do. It's about a 7.

The smoke is thick and, well, creamy, and the whole thing is tastey without being real sweet (or too heavy).

Kendall Cream is a favorite of mine, grabbed when I desire a lightly scented flake over something say like Bracken Flake or the venerable 1792 Flake. I've never thought of the 'gingerbread' Sasquatch referenced, but it fits after hearing it. It has a very creamy quality and vaguely smells of mild cherry and rose germanium also. The burn is wonderful and consistent, often smoking down to a fine white/gray ash. It's pretty mild-medium as Lakeland Flakes go in all considerations, and has a medium nicotine hit. The scenting or topping dissipates about mid-way through the bowl, leaving a creamy statement over top of excellent VA's.

SG Sam's Flake might be another good candidate.

In summary:

TOO MANY TOBACCOS, TO LITTLE TIME!

Eulenburg":t2wxd6om said:
A widely overlooked blend which is IMHO excellent is Reiner Long Golden Flake

That's one of my great favourites. But is it high in nicotine?
I was shooting for mild-medium, for me like some others, it builds in strength as the bowl progresses.

Its a hard thing for me to judge very accurately, as I regularly smoke Condor, 1792 and Haddo's Delight which many find over powering ...

I just tried Peterson's Irish Flake for the first time, and it sure is powerful! What a great tobacco, though.

I second

• Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
  • McClelland's Blackwoods Flake

Now, I don't particularly like the out-of-the-box smell of the Blackwoods Flake, but after it dries for a good long while (I let it sit out for a day) - it is just about right - nice n tangy.

The Full Virginia Flake is just excellent. My absolutely favorite Virginia. You can't go wrong with the suggestions above, but these are two I personally advocate.

Careful with Irish Flake; I too like it, but it makes me green and dizzy.

Has anyone suggested Orlik Golden Sliced?

I always open a tin when the first front hits here in south Texas.