Recommendations for Strong Codger Blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou

Reaction score
So I've been away from pipes for awhile, and decided to take the hobby up again. Got myself a couple cobs and a pouch each of Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Neither is nearly as good as I remember, and research shows they moved overseas. So I'm on the hunt for something to replace them. Ideally, I'd like something with a bit more nic-kick, too, as I'm trying to kick the last few cigarettes I smoke daily, too. Thanks in advance for any help!

One of my favorite tobacco was Pease Cumberland. One day couldn't smoking it when gave me the hiccups and dizzy. If you want the nic kick, you may try some twists for using to chew or pipes. One of the strongest is Warren twist or Cumberland twist. You can get some shavings in a knife to smoke in a pipe.

Peterson's Irish Flake makes my legs wobble! Kicked my butt the first few times I smoked it. Not really a codger (drugstore) blend though.

Last edited:
Seconding @Ranger107 's suggestion...

I would try Old Joe Krantz (the original). I am smoking Big & Burley as I type this - another recommendation.
I had Old Joe Krantz years ago on my first go-round and liked it. Never tried Big & Burley, but sounds good! I forgot about Cornell & Diehl. I'll have to check them out again.

Seconding @Ranger107 's suggestion...

I would try Old Joe Krantz (the original). I am smoking Big & Burley as I type this - another recommendation.
Definitely Big & Burley. I was thinking codger-type blends when I responded earlier.

Not necessarily a definitive definition, but what I meant is a burley forward blend in the spirit of Carter Hall, Prince Albert and the like.
Sugar Barrel, Barking Dog.

For me…the Codger Trio is Edgeworth, Prince Albert and Carter Hall.

Thanks for the descriptions guys. I think of codger blends as what used to be drugstore blends but with drugstores these days that no longer holds up.