Recommendations for Strong Codger Blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, in the 60s there was a veritable plethora of drugstore blends. Besides PA and CH there was half n half, grainger, country club, edgeworth, rum and maple, etc. One of my favs was London Dock. Don't even remember what was in it but it was good.

What was the blend that Albert Einstein was noted as preferring? Was it “Revelation” - a “ House of Windsor” blend…most frequently characterized by modern pipes guys as a “Meh” blend. In other words…he must not have been that smart if he liked this crap! Or…maybe he was SO smart he perceived things normal guys couldn’t. Whatever. It’s long gone now. I guess there are modern iterations.

What was the blend that Albert Einstein was noted as preferring? Was it “Revelation” - a “ House of Windsor” blend…most frequently characterized by modern pipes guys as a “Meh” blend. In other words…he must not have been that smart if he liked this crap! Or…maybe he was SO smart he perceived things normal guys couldn’t. Whatever. It’s long gone now. I guess there are modern iterations.
I believe it was already a Philip Morris product by the time Einstein arrived in the US. The HoW version came in '60s. It's been a while, but the bulk version at 4Noggins (Painter Hills) was my preferred match.

I believe it was already a Philip Morris product by the time Einstein arrived in the US. The HoW version came in '60s. It's been a while, but the bulk version at 4Noggins (Painter Hills) was my preferred match.
I have to contradict you here. Revelation was still made by Philip Morris through some of the 1970s. I know this because I have smoked it in the past, and am currently smoking the last 1970s pouch of it that I have. Philip Morris is the company name stamped on the box.

I have to contradict you here. Revelation was still made by Philip Morris through some of the 1970s. I know this because I have smoked it in the past, and am currently smoking the last 1970s pouch of it that I have. Philip Morris is the company name stamped on the box.
No problem, I had read that PM sold off their pipe blends to HoW around 1964; if it was later (or even staggered) it's better to know

PS41 Cube Cut. Cheap, seconds to load, works in every pipe. Dry it for a day or so at room temp, or an 8 hour workday in a hot car. Good as a straight smoke, but great as a cake builder or also a base mix for your blending experiments.

Can run hot and bitter if pushed too hard. Light with hemp wick, smoke just a notch above Virginia technique.

There's other tobaccos I like much better. But I smoke this more than anything else.

The oatmeal or Grape Nuts is the pipe tobacco world.

Here’s another vote for 5 Brothers. It’s been around a Very long time & is the first thing I think of when someone asks about a strong American codger blend. It also works well to amp up other blends.

I'd recommend Bald Headed Teacher which is a house blend from 4Noggins. It's burley forward and slightly to the strong side of medium. Sold in bulk and economical. A pleasant smoke.

Here’s another vote for 5 Brothers. It’s been around a Very long time & is the first thing I think of when someone asks about a strong American codger blend. It also works well to amp up other blends.
5 Brothers....!!!!....indeed, big league strong.
And, Ive been smoking a pipe more than 50 years.

I find Edgeworth really mild.
I generally have SWR and PA in my pipe....they seem to have bit more flavor.
Still have an unopened can of Edgeworth 14oz around here.
Edgeworth RR Match isn't strong - I'd say a couple steps past mild - but I still recommend it. :) That comment of mine didn't relate to its strength level. It related to its overall quality. Funny thing about how individual taste buds are. PA has a little deeper flavor than the ERR Match, but I think SWR is a tad milder.

I agree with your 5 Brothers comment.