red wine as a component?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I was reading about one of Peretti's discontinued flakes, where they used red wine. Has anyone tried it? I have very little knowledge of wine, but for some reason, it sounds like it could be tasty in a tobacco. If you have, do you soak the tobacco and squeeze it out? Spritz it with a spray bottle? Hit it with wine more than once in a drawn out process? Water it down first? Maybe even reduce it on the stove top, lowering water content and concentrating flavors, before adding it to the tobacco? Something about red wine on tobacco in a press...yeah, sounds like it could be tasty. Anyone?

ZM, pm me your address and I'll send you a sample. I really like the stuff. Tobacco Reviews described it as: A blend of mature Virginias are cured with red wine, pressed in a cake, and steam-treated. The result is a jet black cake which delivers load of thick rich smoke.

Several of the more notable reviewers (including some that I often agree with) did not seem to care for it. But I do.

Natch

I came across a group of old tins from Nat Sherman. One of which was called Don Natan, if my memory is right. It was a mild blend, but had a red wine splashed on it at some point. Wasn't sticky or wet. It gave that mild burley a lot of white smoke as you smoked it. And a feel in the mouth of a thick texture to the smoke. Unremarkable otherwise.