Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi folks. Here's my latest little project - A Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate refurb!

A pic from the ebay listing - I think the seller took these with an eye to reducing the cosmetic horror show that was the pipe stem.

brigha10.jpg

The poor thing had been neglected for quite some time. When it arrived, the bowl and stem were gritty and greasy with gunk, dirt and oxidation. I forgot to take a "before" shot of the stummel, but here's the stem as it was unboxed.

20150611.jpg

20150612.jpg

As seems almost required for an estate Brigham, the old rock maple filter was left in place (sigh). Took a bit of tugging to get it out!

20150613.jpg

I dropped the stummel into an alcohol bath, the stem into an Oxyclean bath and left them both to soak while I ran some errands. A few hours later, I came home and scrubbed down both halves of the pipe. I didn't take pictures while I scrubbed down the stummel and stem. Needless to say the respective baths did the trick! The stummel was in great shape under all the muck. The stem took scrubbing with 0000 steel wool, then 400-2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get the oxidation off. Here's the pipe, cleaned but not finished.

20150614.jpg

The alcohol bath removed the old finish, so I applied a 2-color stain. First a black Fieblings Leather Dye, which I sanded off until it remained only in the grain of the briar. Then I made a wash of about a 4:1 ratio using Fieblings dark brown dye. I applied several coats of the wash until I got the depth of color I was after.

Then it was off to the buffer for a run of Red Tripoli followed by White Diamond and several coats of Carnauba wax. The finished pipe is ready to enjoy pride of place in my pipe rack and many more years of happy smoking!

20150616.jpg

20150617.jpg

20150618.jpg

20150619.jpg

Ahhh so that's why your new Brigham looks so good in your PAD post. It cleaned up nicely, very well done indeed!

RobJ":h30zks0c said:
Ahhh so that's why your new Brigham looks so good in your PAD post. It cleaned up nicely, very well done indeed!
Mea culpa! :D

And thanks! This estate refurb hobby is somewhat addictive. Like making a silk purse from a sow's ear rvery time! The fact that this one's a Brigham makes it all the better in my book. :)

Thanks for the positive feedback, gents! I'm quite enjoying getting my hands dirty refurbing estate finds. Glad to know I seem to be on the right track!

Of course, my wife would prefer the flow of pipes in the opposite direction, preferably at a profit! I keep telling her that I need MORE pipes so I can practice..... :D :lol: ;)

Looks like a brand new pipe !! Good job! Now load 'er up with a good McC's Red Va and smoke it !! :twisted: :twisted:

Nahhh you need a tin of one of Mr. B's finest to do it up right.

:cheers:

I christened it with a bowl of Amphora Full Aroma (my Dad's fav) but the Brig seems to like Scottish Mixture better :lol:

Yep you gotta go with what the pipe likes best if the relationship is to be a satisfying one. Personally I'd go with the Scottish Mixture too.

:)

RobJ":nklyor2s said:
Yep you gotta go with what the pipe likes best if the relationship is to be a satisfying one. Personally I'd go with the Scottish Mixture too.

:)
I'm finding than most of my larger-bowled pipes enjoy the Scottish Mixture. It seems to burn a bit hot for me in the smaller pipes. Just finished a lovely bowl in a 60's Brigham 298 Poker. :)