Rehydrating Stogies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepernick

Reaction score
I have read the post on rehydrating pipe tobacco. Anyone have any tips on rehydrating cigars? Would putting them in a storage container with some of the moisture beads work?

I went to Mississippi last weekend for a funeral on the wife's side of the family. One of her cousins noticed that I was smoking a pipe and asked if I liked cigars. When I told him that I occassionaly smoked them he proceeded to give me a large plastic humidor (the kind you see at the end of a bar with four shelves) full of them. They are as dry as a popcorn fart. Is there any hope of rehydrating them?

As another note, I am not sure on the brands of stogies to know if they are worth rehydrating. There are two different sizes of "Habana Club", "Victor Sinclair - Don Rafael", and "Tamboril". I have smoked a Tamboril but it was about twelve years ago.

Jeep,

I wrote about a page to you a moment ago and I see somehow I friggin deleted it...what's wrong with me?!

I have to get to bed..13 hrs shift in less than 6 hrs. I will write it ALL again for you brother, by then Puff, Lucky or PB will probably answer, but for now...do NOT place them in a humidor with the RH% cranked up...you'll crack the binder and/or wrapper. You have to re-hyrdate sloooowly.

I'll speak with you tomorrow....and sorry, Nick.
All the best for now,

David

Dave, no hurry, whenever you get a chance. I figure they have been dry for who knows how long, a few more days aint gonna hurt.

I have actually tried to rehydrate some old stogies in a humidor with the cracked binder as a result. The Humistat on the clear case says 80% humidity but I know that is way off. With all the gaps in the case there is no way it is that high.

Anyone have any familiarity with the above mentioned brands?

OK so much for "tomorrow"...sorry, Nick.

Victor Sinclair is quality. Nothing too,too complew but solid ( whta line is it, do you know?). The Don is a nice stick..can be a bit rough without age, but a decent afternoon stick to be sure. Habana I think you will find light bodied and smooth, but lacking in flavor or depth, but not harsh by any means. Don R. will probably be the more fuller bodied of teh three. The last one I have never smoked that I can recall.

Ok so, to revive dehydrated sticks..trick question. Why? Becuase the oils that are in the cigar leaf are where you get your flavor and once they are removed from the cigar, they dson not come back. That is not to say that ALL of them are removed when a rocket dries..but a bit does, and more as the months go by ( if it is an overnight dryout...being left all day in the dashboard sun..it's a gonner; hire me as your bagpiper and I'll play TAPS for you, then bury it, while we smoke some Fuente Sungrowns that I will provide free of charge.)

A slowly dehydrated cigar can be sloooowly brought back by putting it in a humidor that is set at 50-65% RH for a couple of hours...then removing it for a day, then repaeting the process until you begin to feel some give in the stick. if the foot starts too swell out, sloooowww down the process. When not in the humidified box, place it in a smaller dry box ( we call this "dry-boxing") to slowly release moisture, and let the cigar breath a bit.

It is very teadious but can be done. let me know how you come along

Davey

ps it IS a great feeling to bring them back..like raing the dead or something... :shock:

Dave,

Thanks for the reply, sorry it has taken so long to post back. I have started a few of the cigars off in my humidor for a couple of hours. I will post back to this thread in a couple of days and let you know how it is going.

Nick,

Yes...let me know. I was like an idiot in suspense over here LOL!

Davey