Rejuvenating dry tobak

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
So while moving out of my apt I found a tin of Dunhill Standard mix that I somehow managed to open smoke about two bowls and then forget about. :?:
This may have been a purchase done right before finals when anything that did not relate to rocks was banished from my mind.
Anyway, I now have a nice bone dry tin of weed that needs to be rehydrated. I have placed the tobak into a small ball jar and added two of the ceramic "discs" that you soak in water but the results have been weak at best (I let the jar sit for about a month while rewetting the discs about 2 weeks in). I want to avoid the mold issue and am out of ideas. Help?

I've heard a lot of folks say to put it in a bowl and lightly mist it with distiled water, making sure you cover it all with a fine spray. Then jar it up for a couple of weeks.

I think I am gonna follow both routes.
I will try smokin the dry and if its not to my likeing I will mist and jar

Oddball":eg5z7g3x said:
I think I am gonna follow both routes.
I will try smokin the dry and if its not to my likeing I will mist and jar
If you decide to mist it, be sure to mist LIGHTLY, a little goes a long way. Another method is to put the tobacco in a large mixing bowl then cover with a wet towel. Don't allow the towel to come in contact with the tobacco and check every few hours. This is the method advocated by Greg Pease.

Smokey

I have always used the distilled water spritz method and it works well for me. I just rehydrated some Yaller Dawg a few days ago. Spritz very lightly.

Like Carlos said though try it like it is first unsless it is just crumbling to dust. I like my tobacco fairly dry also.

I used to use clay disks inside a metal jacket of two pieces. Never opened one. JR no longer stocks them. If anyone knows where to purchase them I'd be beholdin'.

Depending on how dry the tobacco was, I'd put anywhere from 2-10 disks (of course hydrated with distilled water for any rehydration) in a ziplock with the tobacco. The more disks the faster the rehydrate. I'd check the tobacco every hour or two. Even very dry tobacco could be brought up to a good moisture level fairly quickly with a large number of disks.

Now I spritz lightly or moderately depending on the dryness of the tobacco; very dry tobacco gets the moderate spritz.

Like everyone says, add water gently until you get a feel for how much water is enough: you can always spritz again.

I use the GLP method: put the tobacco in a bowl and cover it with a wet (not dripping) cloth, without allowing the cloth to touch the tobacco. Leave until the desired moisture level is reached, rewetting the cloth whenever necessary.

I do what Wet Dottle and Smokey suggest, with excellent results. The benefit is that you don't accidently get carried away with spritzing. The Discs that Michael mentioned work, but take a lot longer to my recollection.

Good luck,

TC