relighting a bowl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefes

Reaction score
How do you all feel about letting a bowl go out halfway through and then relighting in a day or so. With some blends I seem to have no problem with this and with others, the relight is really funky. What's the general take on this?

I have let bowls of tobacco go over night but never waited any longer than that. Not to say you can't, I just never have. I do believe that Virginias fare much better than other tobaccos for the over nighter.
:pipe:

Some actually do this on purpose. They call the process Delayed Gratification Technique (DGT). Others(like me) set a bowl down and forget about it, we claim DGT but its not really the same.

To get optimal effect from DGT one should knock the ash out and run a cleaner or two down the shank Before setting the bowl down.

With the FBT (Forgotton Bowl Technique :D ) knocking the ash and the pipe cleaners come before the relight, sometimes it even works.

Virginia blends are the best for this process because they sorta kinda 'stove' in the pipe.

Even' All, I do it all the time, up to a week or so! :tongue: Especially good with HO tabacs, delicious! :tongue: Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

I rarely set out to do this intentionally, but I do end up doing it quite often. I'm a very slow smoker, and oftentimes have to put a bowl down simply because it's bedtime. I've not had a bowl turn bad from being allowed to sit overnight, though I suspect that wet aromatics might not react well to this treatment. I regularly leave everything from bright Virginias to heavy Latakia blends overnight with no ill effects.

Perhaps five years ago I was smoking a bowl of GLPease's Cairo one evening, and left it half finished when I went to bed. The next day I forgot the pipe and left for a two week business trip. When I returned, I found the pipe still sitting in the stand where I'd left it. I was sure that it was ruined, but curiosity got the best of me. I stirred up the ashes a bit and dumped them out (along with any dust that had settled), then lit up the pipe. It lit easily, and the rest of the bowl tasted fine. There was nothing magical about it, but there was absolutely nothing at all wrong with it either. I wouldn't hesitate to re-light an old bowl that I'd left laying around if I found one, though I don't think there's any "magic" to leaving a pipe lay around for weeks on end.

Most writings I've found on the "Delayed Gratification Technique" recommend dumping the ashes out when you put the pipe down. For no good reason, I always leave the ashes and dump them out before I re-light the pipe when I get back to it. I haven't a clue as to whether this makes a difference and whether the difference is good or bad. I do it from habit, and have not found any harm in doing things this way. (This did make dumping the dust out of my "long term experiment" a bit easier.)

I dont know, I have never had good experances with a pipe relite the next day some times even if i let a pipe sit for an hour it gets a strange tast to it. About the onley tobbaco i have found that i can let stand for a while is JL peace westminster stong latakeia.

Highstump":93tub596 said:
I have let bowls of tobacco go over night but never waited any longer than that. Not to say you can't, I just never have. I do believe that Virginias fare much better than other tobaccos for the over nighter.
:pipe:

LOL, Highstump! Your post takes me back to the summer of '69.... my first over-nighter was with this sweet little angel named Debbie Carver... she was smokin' hot (at least, that's the way I remember it)... and she was awesome.

I agree with your insights about VA's offering the best results with DGT (probably for the very reasons outlined by PB), and I do it often with excellent results via Full Virgina Flake.

I remember when I was a kid and my Dad would drop me off to spend time with my Grandfather.... he always had 2 or 3 boxes of Carter Hall pipe tobacco sitting on his desk, along with his rack of favorite pipes, and the ashtray always seemed to hold at least one that was partially smoked. I wonder how those bad boys would smoke today.... of course, it was Burley, and I can't even smoke that stuff when it's fresh.

:mrgreen:

JT":1m56ntyy said:
.... of course, it was Burley, and I can't even smoke that stuff when it's fresh.

JT, you have my deepest and most sincere condolences. :D :pipe:

Highstump":tqpy87bk said:
JT":tqpy87bk said:
.... of course, it was Burley, and I can't even smoke that stuff when it's fresh.

JT, you have my deepest and most sincere condolences. :D :pipe:

LOL! Thanks, Highstump. I appreciate the sentiment, but I guess everybody doesn't like somethin'.... except Sara Lee, that is.