Relighting a Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes when I'm having a pipe, I have to cut it short for one reason or another, so I lay it down outside and let it go out. I might come back to it a few hours later, or even the next day, and I think without exception, it has always tasted better when relit.

Those of you that have smoked cigarettes, you know that doesn't work for them. Is this just a me thing, or does anyone else have the same experience?

There are pipers who call that the delayed gratification technique. They load pipes in the evening and smoke them a bit and let them sit until the next day. I find some tobaccos respond better than others. If I put down an unfinished pipe before bed I'll start the next day with it.

As a reference , Sherlock Holmes apparently started his day afresh with the "dottles" from his previous day's pipefuls.
From "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb"
Sherlock Holmes was, as I expected, lounging about his sittingroom in his dressing-gown, reading the agony column of The Times and smoking his before-breakfast pipe, which was composed of all the plugs and dottles left from his smokes of the day before, all carefully dried and collected on the corner of the mantelpiece. He received us in his quietly genial fashion, ordered fresh rashers and eggs, and joined us in a hearty meal. When it was concluded he settled our new acquaintance upon the sofa, placed a pillow beneath his head, and laid a glass of brandy and water within his reach.