Remember Pete Rose?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim.
You make some very good points concerning Pete and what has happened to him. The thing most folks forget is that players in professional "sports" are realy in the ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS!! You have to look at elementary/high school sports to find true sport. By college and subsequently Pro level players have become pay'd entertainers akin to actors and others in the entertainment industries. :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":0n70fjlh said:
Jim.
You make some very good points concerning Pete and what has happened to him. The thing most folks forget is that players in professional "sports" are realy in the ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS!! You have to look at elementary/high school sports to find true sport. By college and subsequently Pro level players have become pay'd entertainers akin to actors and others in the entertainment industries. :twisted: :twisted:
I wish you were wrong, but I believe the same as you do.

puros_bran":okp6zuw1 said:
If Cobb, Speaker, Anson, Comisky, Waner, Stengal, Perry, and a list so long I can't list them all without googling up "Cheats, drunks, and Gamblers in the HOF" are in the HOF, then Pete deserves to be there.  

You can't get all high and righteous on Pete and allow those that were far worse than him to remain in... Because that is a lie, just like Pete told.   Either shush up and let Pete in or 'do the right thing' and take those guys out, including removing their names from baseball fields.  As it stands it is complete and utter hypocrisy.

Sanctity of the game my arse.

As far as the 'fixing the game' bullcrap.. Over the four year period he was investigated I think there's 5 games in total that there is no evidence that he bet on the Reds to win.  Hardly the sinister fix you are portraying.
PB, if I were a libby, I would certainly have to insist, that ALL professional athletes found guilty of this offense, be sent to rehab on the MLB, NFL, and NBA's dime, since compulsive gambling is classified as a "disorder," by the Mayo Clinic. It supposedly stimulates the brains reward system, similar to alcohol or drugs.

Now that drugs are part of the discussion, I suppose they could pay for steroid rehab as well.

Then, if said athlete doesn't relapse any more than single digits, we can just chalk the whole thing up to their "disease," which they finally beat.

Once they go into double digits though, we should step back and reevaluate the situation, and see if we can figure out another angle, to give them a few more chances.

Like Michael stated, they are entertainers, and the American public certainly like their entertainment. It's the only industry that never takes a hard financial hit, whether there is a recession, or even a depression.

At least he is still getting to put his name to some product. As much of a gamble as health insurance is, you would think BCBS would have him front and center.

Dutch, As I had implied earlier I'm no Big Red Machine fan, and could in many ways not care less about Rose and his ban.  I gave up baseball sometime in the 90's when I realized EVERYONE was on steroids.  

The only thing that gets me about the deal is the "Pete is a cheat, but all the crooked mofos from my team are paragons of virtue" nonsense.
Pete broke the rules, Pete suffers.. Others, many,many,many, others break the rules, and still only Pete suffers.. I say: Ban all the cheats/drunks/murderers/liars/thiefs or get off the high horse.

And for only the second time in history me and Monbla agree on something.. If you want to watch sports go watch tball, and even some of that is iffy. Illegal Recruitment, cheating, and payoffs  is down into the high school levels now.