Remington 7600

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
Are there any thoughts or experiences with the Remington Pump Action Model 7600 high powered rifles?

Thanks!

Justpipes":g9vxf08r said:
Are there any thoughts or experiences with the Remington Pump Action Model 7600 high powered rifles?
Just one: Why?

As Jack O'Connor said, "Only accurate firearms are interesting."

LL":2efukzzm said:
Justpipes":2efukzzm said:

Are you saying that pump rifles aren't accurate or are you saying that Remingtons aren't accruate.
Cause it it is the latter I have a 700 chambered 308 that would beg to differ.

I always heard (and maybe this is what LL is reffering to) that pump rifles are the least accurate while the bolt action is the most; As well as the fact that if you want fast multiple shots and accuracy is not that big an issue than why not go with a semi-auto??
As far as Remingtons I would look for an older model late 70's early 80's perhaps. One of my brothers has a 30-06 from this era (bolt)(mod 700bdl I think) that would shoot the hair off a frog at 300 yds :affraid: .

Remingtons are fine. A slop-fit breech (which is required by design for slides, auto loaders, etc) limits intrinsic accuracy by a significant amount, however.

Unless there is some overriding need for rapidity of fire, such as a combat weapon, a bolt action is always the best choice. No exceptions.

EJinVA":1lqidcyu said:
I dunno I kind of like my sloppy ol AK :D .
What kind ya got
Some are decenly accurate, others not so much.
But a much much less expensive alternative to the AR platform.

Right now a Romanian, very sloppy. Early 90's I had a genuine Chinese Norinco (i guess what they would call a pre-ban), now that was an accurate weapon, can kick my own ass for selling her. I occasionally see one at gun shows for $1200.00, I paid something like $200.00 (gggggrrrrrrrr stupid chink gun ban).

Buddy o' mine just bought an Arsenal with synthetic furniture.
Once we straightned the front sight post it was fairly accurate out of the box at 100yds.

LL":auftdvq8 said:
Justpipes":auftdvq8 said:

I am fond of pump shotguns and 22's but have no experience with higher caliber rifles and was just wondering. I am leaning towards a Marlin 1895 45/70 or if I can find a good price on one, a pre 64' Winchester 94. The later might be a tall order.

Are you looking for long range, medium or a brush gun? the marlin is great out to 100 yards, but the rainbow trajectory of the factory loaded 45/70 cartridge limits it after that. ,handloading and using better bullets will get you to 150 yds,,,you might want to look at the .338 marlin express,,

A hunting buddy has a 30 06 7600, 3x9 leupold,,shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yds ,,,but that's with handloads,,out of the box it managed 3 1/2 with factory ammo,,,

talk about opening a can o' worms,,, :p

I know next to nothing about pump rifles...

What I do know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, bet your ass on it, A properly tuned Semi-Auto Will out shoot the shooter.

And no, the everyday walking around Kalashnikov is not accurate...
Your average Gov issue AR variant is more accurate, hands down. The Kalashnikov has the ability to be AS accurate but that begins with the manufacturer and the ones that are cost as much or more than the AR.

One more thing.. I'm not arguing the Semi-Auto is more accurate than a Bolt.. I'm saying a properly manufactured and tuned Semi Auto is more accurate than the human using it.

I really like the Marlin 1895 Cowboy but the 1895 Guide series is inticing for paractical reasons.

Just itching for a new gun? Or is there a desired reason? Hunting? Defense? Long Range Blue Helmit Plinking?

My last three experiences with purchasing Remington firearms have all been bad. I have a model 700 ADL in 243 that I've had probably fifteen years that is a fine shooter and have had no problems with. When I decided to get a little larger caliber for my son (in .308) I purchased a model 750 autoloader on the recommendation of the local gun shop that I have been doing business with for I don't know how many years. Took it out to the range and it would jam using factory loads every 4th round. Took it back and they took it out to the range with the same results. Ordered a new one, upon receiving the new one it would not even cycle the first round. Sent it back and elected to get a Savage bolt action in .308. Shot for many a year, no problems. Two years ago I purchased a model 870 shotgun (the shotgun which all others are judged against). Took it out of the box and the ring on the barrel that holds the barrel to the receiver was busted off. Took it back, got a Mossberg 500. IMHO or just my bad luck I think that their quality control has gone by the wayside in the last ten years compared to when I purchased my first model 700. I own several Savages, Weatherby's, Mossbergs and Marlins and they have all been great guns.

My one and only Rem anything is a 700 PSS in .308 that I bought back in about '97. It is the most accurate rifle I own, both out of the box and more so after I had a little work done on the bolt when it was having trouble extracting NATO rounds. At 100-300m it easily shoots sub-MOA and usually sub-half if I am in practice (which I am not any more), I have never had the chance to shoot paper at any longer ranges than that.

Other than that my other high-powers are Winchesters and one CZ which is a similar Mauser action.