"Remote Island View" - 6 pipes and no more

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroWolfe

Reaction score
OK; let's share each other's views of the pipes we cannot live without. Nice little summer pastime. Pretend you are being sent to a remote island for the rest of your days. You are allowed to take 6 pipes with you, and no more. What would you take? Be specific; preferably "old friends" that you already possess, but if you want to make it a wish-list, go for it!

Here is my list (not in any particular order); these are the pipes I would pick from pipes I now own:

1 - A Paolo Becker smooth pencil-shank Dublin (briar)
2 - A Mark Tinsky (American Smoking Pipes) full-bent coral Ooom-Paul/Hungarian (briar)
3 - A Bob Swanson (Perry White Pipes) smooth extra-large Dublin (briar)
4 - A Baki smooth Billiard (block meerschaum)
5 - A 1973 Group 2 Dunhill Bruyere-finish Billiard (briar)
6 - A large true Calabash (gourd body and block meerschaum bowl)

- Gunnar Weber Prada apple nosewarmer
- stanwell featherweight dublin
- mark tinsky blasted lovat
- bruce weaver blasted volcano
- e andrews blasted billiard
- ardor apple

Ugh, i like all my pipes so much thats a real tough call.

If such a fate were to be mine tho, the current choices would be

1: rad davis smooth pencil shanked canted dublin
2: my first pipe, a no name italian rustic basket pipe billiard
3: yuriy aksenov rustic w/ smooth rim rhodesian
4: Lasse skovgaard sandblast egg type thing
5: todd bannard smooth curved shank billiard/castello shape 31 variation.
6: depends on whether my wife is also going to be on the island. If she isnt, then the choice is the pipe she bought me for my birthday, a sav giotto smooth billiard. If she is, then it would probably be a cob or any of the other pipes in my collection. They all are great and have fond memories associated with them one way or another, and no matter which one i picked as the last one i know i would probably miss all the others anyway.

Will probably laugh at my selection in a few years time (or months!), but here goes:
1.) W.O. Larsen Select bulldog
2.) Sasieni King Size billiard
3.) Ashton LX poker
4.) Cavicchi Rhodesian
5.) Il Duca Rhodesian
6.) No name basket pipe billiard

I chose some favorite larger pipes, seeing as how I'll have some time on my hands, I mean, just how much time can a guy stranded on a desert island spend "fantasizing" about Kim Kardashian...?

hmm... so many choices! Here is my list:

1. Straight billiard Castello Trademark
2. Dublin Bjarne J grade
3. Bamboo Dublin By Yuriy Askenov
4. Castello Collection Canadian Lovat
5. Stanwell Nana Ivarsson rusticated Tomato
6. Robert Blatter Select straight Dublin

Absolutely, categorically, an impossible question to answer!

Having said that, here's my answer:

(1) Paolo Becker straight Bulldog
(2) Castello #55 Pot
(3) Viprati 2006 weirdly bent Dali
(4) Radice Hawkbill
(5) Savinelli Autograph/bent, stacked billiard
(6) Stanwell straight bamboo Bulldog bought on my belated honeymoon in Paris last April that started my re-entry into the world of pipe smoking and collecting!

Harlock999.........I never said in my description that the remote island was not filled with sex-starved Amazons, and there would be no need to fantasize about Kim Kardashian!! LOL !!!

I am assuming that this island will be hospitable to tobacco cultivation, otherwise this will be very frustrating.

1. I would bring my Boswell Jumbo in order to signal passing ships.

2. My straight Ser Jac billiard, an old friend.

3. A pencil-shanked Charatan, which is a good working pipe. If it's a desert island, I can smoke anywhere, right?

4. A Bari Wiking apple with a large bowl, since their won't be cable.

5. My RAD Davis Rhodesian with great grain to appreciate aesthetically.

6. I'd buy a sixth pipe, so I could enjoy at least a box opening. UPS would find me.

Tim_Haggerty":lurgu1ri said:
I am assuming that this island will be hospitable to tobacco cultivation, otherwise this will be very frustrating. […]
So - there is tobacco and the female population makes us forget any fantasy about b-list starlets. This island must be quite popular and I hope the beach is not too crowdet…

The six pipes I´d choose (the order is indiscriminative) are:

• Dunhill 4103 Cumberland (because I love how the pipe tastes)
• Charatan Dublin (This is my lightest pipe, and I need at least one that I can easily keep in my mouth.)
• Noske Billard (My biggest pipe, it takes me at least 80 to 90 minutes to smoke it. A perfekt smoke during an exhilarating conversation - wich I hope to have on an island like that)
• Thomsen Bent Freehand (maybe a little fragile but it tastes almost as good as the 4103)
• Ashton Apple (it took me so long to learn how to smoke this one - how could I ever leave it behind now?)
• Noske Half Bent Tanshell(A great smoker and it looks so pretty. If the female inhabitants of that island shouldn´t be as beautiful as Nero Wolfe has promised, I would still have a very good looking pipe.)

NeroWolfe":dmjxpcm4 said:
Harlock999.........I never said in my description that the remote island was not filled with sex-starved Amazons, and there would be no need to fantasize about Kim Kardashian!! LOL !!!
Alright, now we're talkin'!
And in that case, my Stanwell saddle billard will come in handy, as it's the perfect size for a nice, relaxing after-smoke. 8) That, and I think the chicks will dig the crazy cross grain and birdseye!

Oddly enough, I've come up against this question as I prepare to do another pipe sale (keep a look out!) and have managed to get it down to 9. Now I have to ditch three of those for this blasted island! Argh!

Ok, here goes in no particular order:

1. Caminetto Rusticated Billiard
2. Radice FFF Clear Rhodesian
3. Heeschen Black Bamboo Brandy
4. Kurt Huhn Freehand Blasted Acorn
5. Bjarne C Grade Freehand Rhodesian
6. JSEC Roccio Bamboo

Whew, that was tough!

Good submittals so far ! Interesting that I believe that Frost (a cob) and I am the only one to include non-briars (a meerschaum and a calabash). After another week or so I will attempt to find some "deep meaning" in the submittals as a summary / recap! Good show, chaps!

NeroWolfe":jmqi5qb6 said:
Good show, chaps!
By using the word “chaps,” you are hereby inducted into the Gentlemen’s Club. Its official publication is called The Chap. You must, of course, fully abide by The Chap Manifesto located at the top of the page (you’ll have no problem with #2). http://www.thechap.net/

Congratulations!

Gustav Temple, editor of The Chap.

Airborne.....

Astounding! A great honour; I trust that I can meet expectations! Hopefully the dues will not be excessive! Indeed, Sir, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar (and there are precious few of us left!!!!!!!!!!!).

NeroWolfe":egptvkds said:
Hmm, well in that case, I'd probably need a rotation of at least six "Amazons" as well...

:lol!: :lol!:

My six would be:

1. Small meerschaum billiard that my son just got me in Turkey on his first deployment in the Navy on the USS Enterprise.

2. Mike Brissett freehand with boxwood shank. Kind of looks like something that should have been in the "Lord of the Rings" movie.

3. Johan Slobbert (South Africa) Olive wood Poker

4. Cavicchi CC Freehand Billiard

5. 2007 Ardor Urano Poker

6. Lorenzo Imperia Elba Shape 8687 that I purchased in the mid-80's. Still a great smoking pipe.

Mikem: Great selection; nice to see some non-briars !!! I have a Johan Slabbert olive-wood pipe; great smoker. Also, I have a smooth Lorenzo Canadian from the late 1970s and a rusticated Lorenzo nose-warmer from the same period; Lorenzo pipes were excellent then; not really the same company/people now......

MisterE: Amazons come in 6-packs, 12-packs, etc. !!!!! LOL...LOL....LOL

Well the ones I use most would come with me,supposing I had a choice.

1 my Missouri meerchaum corn cob.

2 My Missouri meerchaum cherrywood.

3 My Peterson.

4 My falcon with extra bowl.

5 My Meerchaum.

5 My Old bond, bent stemed briar.