Removing All Ads - Help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinK

Reaction score
I would like to setup BoB for the future, I am removing all advertising (Adsense and the small units) ... for the site to pay all bills we just need another 30 users to upgrade to Supporting Membership. If we can maintain just 93, we will be set to cover everything.

So ... could we get just a few more to become Supporting Member please.

Last edited:
Will ask the new Aussies to consider it, that is an admirable goal.

After checking around, most of them have already seemed to have signed up. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
So, we need thirty . Carlos makes a point about the lifetime category, but I understand not everyone can do that. I've not been active on the forum lately, but this is like a vacation home. If this blind old man that is seldom on the site should do this, would some of you younger, more active members join me in this noble quest?

Upon reflection, I believe I'll present something that should create a little interest amongst our membership...

The tenth volunteer will receive either a tin of Uno, or a well aged tin of Virginia Flake, their choice.

The twentieth volunteer will receive a decently aged tin of the current iteration
of Balkin Sobrainie.

Number thirty receives their choice of either a well aged tin of Germain's Special Latakia Flake, or a well aged tin of Penzance (appropriately looking like small gold bricks).

If we reach forty, I'm sure someone wouldn't mind something from the now defunt McC--Christmas Cheer, British Woods or something else?

As these milestones are reached, the administrator will PM me with the winner, and we'll coordinate to ship the prize. Thank you for participating, I look forward to treating the lucky members. Remember, this has to be approved by the administrator and moderators first.

It may help to know a little history.

We go back to the Knoxville Cigar & Pipe Forum. Newsgroups were also still alive then, but the time's were a changin'. It cost us nothing. Some purchases to support Knoxville Cigar. They were a great retailer. In the chatroom you could at times find some of the known blenders and pipe-makers at odd hours. Some Saturday mornings there could be large groups. Great times.

The economy tanked and Knoxville got caught in it. Away they went into history. Jason set up us as a forum we could move to. Totally out of his own pocket for years. Some even offered to help with the costs. But he always insisted that it wasn't a burden. One day Jason found himself in the hospital. He did what he had to do to make sure that BoB would continue. He reached out to a Group that provides forums with the services they need.

So, here we are. Mostly ad free. Those not logged in see ads. But we really need to pay our own way. The costs are minimal. We have a dedicated place to gather and discuss our shared interests with minimal moderation. No big social media giant to impose their social views upon us. Our Group that provides us with the server space has a team of admins that help us along. We still have a core group of fellow pipe smokers that do the day to day moderation/admin activities. A nice setup.

I really do not want to see advertising something we have to wade through every visit. But I do not know what other choice our Group providing us with this forum may have. If you have ever thought about donating to the board. Now would be a good time. And we need more members. Be sure to mention us to your friends. More activity, more potential supporters, the better for us all.

Thanks! You can always PM or email me any questions you may have.

This community is running at a loss so really appreciate everyone to get to this number quickly.

I'm happy to donate a tin of Christmas Cheer or a tin of Wilderness if we get to 40 for the McClelland prize.

I've a tin of MacB Vintage Syrian or McC Anniversary if we get to 60.

Thanks for the history lesson Carlos, I knew a little of it but being a newb from 2014 didn't know it all.

Last edited:
Let’s make it funner. I’ll send the member that is #29 or whatever it is (the one just before the last one needed) THREE TINS (or the bulk equivalent) of tobacco and one new briar pipe. Let’s get ‘er done!

PS: Hey Lesath…nice to see you here.

Sounds like someone will be receiving a parcel. If the administrator would kindly PM a bit of intel, I'll promptly tend this.

Sorry I don't understand? I am pretty dense though so not surprised.

Sorry I don't understand? I am pretty dense though so not surprised.

If you go back up this thread, members have offered to send goodies to some of those who sign up. Lesath & Blackhorse & Timbo needs to know who was a certain number as we get members to signup to support the Forum. When they know the "who was number X", then they can PM the lucky member and get their address.