Requesting a review??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazmat

Reaction score
May we do that here? I'm not terribly well-schooled at writing reviews short of "love it" or "leave it", but I would love to see reviews of one or the other(or both!!) of the following two 'baccys: Orlik's Golden Slices and GLP Embarcadero. If someone would be kind enough to lay one down, it would be greatly appreciated!!

I love them both! :lol:

I'm no reviewer either or I would expand.

We were talking about how the review section was going to work but I forgot what we decided on. Basically I think we decided to have a section to post reviews but if one was particularly well written we were going to move it to a special section that couldn't be posted to by anyone as to make it easily navigated by those interested.

I could make a long winded review of my number 1 tobacco of all time, Orlik Golden Sliced, but it would just be fandom speaking for me. I would much rather just say this:

If you like VAs .. If you like bright VAs .. If you like top quality leaf .. If you like flakes .. Try Orlik Golden Sliced and tell me what _you_ think. So far, the people I have nudged towards OGS, haven't looked back.

I simply love it.

slartie":0o66ks3k said:
If you like VAs .. If you like bright VAs .. If you like top quality leaf .. If you like flakes .. Try Orlik Golden Sliced and tell me what _you_ think. So far, the people I have nudged towards OGS, haven't looked back.

I simply love it.
Okay.. that's a good start in the right direction for me. Can you compare it to anything non-Orlik that comes close? I've smoked loads of VA flakes but never this one. I've seen it discussed quite a bit, near to the point that I *MUST* have some. Just trying to get a general idea of what to expect. Thanks, Slartie.

I have tried a lot of VA flakes and I honestly can't think of any that even comes close, to be perfectly honest. The bright VAs I've tried have either been more honey-like or hay-like. The citrusy hint you find in OGS I haven't found anywhere else.

slartie":wusjs39y said:
I could make a long winded review of my number 1 tobacco of all time, Orlik Golden Sliced, but it would just be fandom speaking for me. I would much rather just say this:

I simply love it.
This is one tobacco I enjoy talking about, but not for the reasons you might think. I've smoked it several times, and have never liked it. I've found the flavour a little flat, overly sweet, and have experienced often dramatic "bite" from it. However...

When I was in Denmark, I found myself out of tobacco whilst visiting a friend, who smokes almost nothing but OGS. He had just given me a pipe, and I felt inclined to smoke it, so I cajoled a bowl from him, and lit up, preparing myself for a not very satisfying smoke, but sometimes, we make sacrifices for friendship. ;)

I was almost instantly surprised by how much differently that bowl smoked. Was it the pipe? Not likely - though the first smoke in a new pipe is, in some ways, my favourite experience, it's never the best smoke the pipe will deliver. Was there some difference between the OGS that was exported to the US, and what I was able to obtain in Denmark? A later discussion with the folks at Orlik revealed that this theory had no merit. Was it just a "good batch?"

I bought a couple tins, and smoked almost nothing else during the rest of my stay in Denmark. It wasn't my favourite tobacco, but it was certainly a consistently good smoke.

When I returned home, I brought the rest of my tin with me, hoping to have a few more pleasant smokes from it, and rekindle some memories of my trip. One morning, I pulled out the pipe my friend had given me, filled it with the OGS that I'd brought back, and settled in for a terrible smoke! I tried it in several other pipes over the course of a fortnight, and every time, my earlier, unpleasant experience with the blend was revisited.

I've experienced the difference that climate and conditions can make on a given tobacco before, but never quite so extremely. For instance, I prefer fuller Latakia mixtures in the cooler seasons, and lighter blends in the heat of summer. But, this was different. In one country, I could enjoy this tobacco, and in another, I found it distintly unpleasant.

Once more, the mysteries of tobacco emerged as an impenetrable veil to obscure true understanding. Once more, the complexity of the SYSTEM came fully to my attention. These things, to me, are endlessly fascinating. After 28 years of pipe smoking, many of those years spent in fairly serious study of the various aspects of tobaccos, I feel as though I've only just begun to scratch the surface of something that SEEMS so simple, yet that simplicity often obscures some pretty amazing complexity.

Yet another reason that reviews are entertaining, but rarely enlightening. ;)

Alrighty then... smoke OGS only in Denmark. Gotcha! ;)

I'm going to pony up and get some just to try it out. I can always pass it along to someone else if it's not my thing. Thanks, guys!

glpease":1wbulttg said:
Yet another reason that reviews are entertaining, but rarely enlightening. ;)
Which is why I am hesitant of giving a lengthy review. It may or may not be an entertaining read, but it will never truly convey the smoking experience that the reader will have. He or she will experience something different. The nose will be different, the tastebuds, the packing, the pipe, the climate ... everything.

My general advice is simply - give it a try and see how it goes.

Friend, pipe, OGS, Denmark .. It wouldn't happen to be Tom you visited?

slartie said:
glpease":gwlmxewj said:
Friend, pipe, OGS, Denmark .. It wouldn't happen to be Tom you visited?
Excellent guess! It was, in fact, and the pipe was a lovely little rusticated poker whose birth I witnessed. ;)

glpease":hpmn2bd4 said:
Excellent guess! It was, in fact, and the pipe was a lovely little rusticated poker whose birth I witnessed. ;)
A rusticated poker would indeed have been my guess as to what pipe it was :) He is crazy about those things these days.

I trust you had a good time in Denmark.

In one country, I could enjoy this tobacco, and in another, I found it distintly unpleasant.

In parallel with this, the dead-right-angle stem/shank fit the pipe left Denmark with would likely have undergone a similar hemispheric change, and the stem, at some point along its circumference, would now have a little step up or down that wasn't there in Europe.

Want something to fret yourself over ? Wonder what this effect (in reverse) is on Peaseweedage sent over there :affraid:

Then again, maybe it even improves it still further ?

:face:

Reality is not only stranger than we imagine -- it is stranger than we can imagine. (Charles Fort)

I have yet to try one of Gregory's blends, so I will leave that one up to others. The only place I can get GLP blends from (that won't suck me dry with customs fees and ridiculous taxes) is Synjeco, and it seems like their stock is .. well not very steady.

I'm an impulse buyer, so when I have the urge to try something new and go to Synjeco, none of the GLP blends I want are in stock, and since I obviously need a void filled fast, my money is spent elsewhere :)

slartie":afaj3grx said:
The only place I can get GLP blends from (that won't suck me dry with customs fees and ridiculous taxes) is Synjeco, and it seems like their stock is .. well not very steady.
The problem SHOULD be resolved. Daniel has finally gotten all the pieces in place and penetrated the new (now almost two year old) and almost impenetrable Swiss regulations to maintain a steady inventory - at least, any inventory problems will no longer be blamable on the governmnet. ;)

We're not quite taking the EU by storm, but the Swiss Connection is a step in the right direction. We'll do what we can to keep him supplied, as long as you folks "over there" do what you can to keep him under-supplied.

As for the changing characture of different weedage, you don't have to cross the puddle to experience it. Last year, when I was up in Seattle, I experienced something similar. The only problem THERE was that I couldn't smoke anywhere...

glpease":rzoicw8u said:
The problem SHOULD be resolved. Daniel has finally gotten all the pieces in place and penetrated the new (now almost two year old) and almost impenetrable Swiss regulations to maintain a steady inventory - at least, any inventory problems will no longer be blamable on the governmnet. ;)
Excellent news. Once my impulse urge returns after shelling out oodles of cash for a new guitar, amp and accessories, I will no doubt swing by Synjeco yet again. Chances are that I will be in luck and be able to order some GLP blends to sample.

So I picked up some Golden Sliced today and WOW!!! Extremely good stuff. I'm currently enjoying it in a Savinelli bent Dublin along with a pint of Boddington's and I'm having a hard time not drooling on my keyboard.

Fold? I assumed this was obsession. I woke up this morning with the tin tucked neatly under my arm and a grin upon me mug :lol:

hazmat":mse7si3q said:
May we do that here?...I would love to see reviews of one or the other(or both!!) of the following two 'baccys: Orlik's Golden Slices and GLP Embarcadero. If someone would be kind enough to lay one down, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Hazmat:

In the flurry of discussion about Orlik's Golden Slices, your request for a review of Embarcadero seems to have fallen thru the cracks. Here you go, pardner...

GLP's Embarcadero – The Thread

Vito :joker:

Haz,
I buy OGF every few months i like it. I like it in smaller chambers, but I like smaller chambers. My daily smoke is Stokebeye Twist Flake, sweet, but abit deeper.....among others LOL.
Best,
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes

That said, my other all day....I switch depending on my mood, and sometime I don't feel like messing with the flakes, is Two Friends "Redwood", I call it a younger cousin to Haddo's, and there's always an 8oz. tin of that around, thats my luxury smoke. Hats off to you Dark Lord!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes