Rereading the Canon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrT999

Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
While I have read selected stories over the past few years (I often use 'The Sign of Four' when I teach a course on the Victorians for example), I don't think I've reread the entire canon since sometime in the '70s. So, using the excuse ... err, make that 'rationale' ... that I hope to mine some social/cultural information both for the upcoming iteration of the Victorian course this fall and for a possible article, I've started to do just that. Currently on 'The Blue Carbuncle', and the stories are, for the most part, as much fun as I remember. Well, part 2 of 'A Study in Scarlet' is still a bit tedious, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the similar portion of 'The Valley of Fear' is similar.

Last edited:
I love reading Sherlock, the short stories are better IMHO as they don't drag on. However the longer one's are good too if a little boring as you say. The Valley of Fear is one of my favouites, The Blue Carbuncle is very much a loooooong one to me. Would've been better with some editing I think. The only really good long one is the Hound of the Baskervlles and even it drags a bit.

Last edited:
Now, why is it I feel compelled to take my The Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes book all of a sudden?
Recently I acquired the whole series of Granada's Sherlock Holmes and have really enjoyed watching all the episodes.