Resolutions for 2021

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
My first resolution is to fully accept that at age 76, I cannot physically accomplish many of the tasks that were easy in my 60s.
My second resolution is to turn on a light whenever I go up or down the stairs and not rely on memory. In 2020, I took too many flops and fortunately didn't injure myself.
During the Covid pandemic, because my younger daughter is teaching via Zoom in her home, I've been caring for my 16-month-old granddaughter in my home 3 to 4 days a week. Daycare has been closed. On the days I don't have her, I have to rest, with virtually no other activity. By February 1st, my daughter will be back teaching at her school. For the remainder of the school year, I'll have my granddaughter M-F. I made that commitment for the child. My resolution for 2021, after February thru May, is no more childcare except in an emergency.
#4...To downsize and get rid of everything for which I no longer have use. I have closets (4) filled with quality business attire which I haven't had occasion to wear in years. In the back of my mind, I always am thinking of going back to work, even after 20 years of retirement. Even though retired, I was purchasing clothing as though I'd be wearing it in a business meeting. 99% of the time I'm in sweats or jeans and a T-shirt with a zip front sweatshirt.
#5 Move all my power tools to my younger daughter and her husband's house.
#6 Donate my inexpensive guitars and ukuleles to school programs; sell the expensive/rare ones.
Many more.
How about you?

I resolve to clear out & clean up my shop and bedroom.

I also resolve to severely reduce my pipe and tobacco holdings.

Either those or...

8FE7DDDB-6D23-4B4D-9C5B-7A3FFDB4A7F7.jpeg

My first resolution is to fully accept that at age 76, I cannot physically accomplish many of the tasks that were easy in my 60s.
My second resolution is to turn on a light whenever I go up or down the stairs and not rely on memory. In 2020, I took too many flops and fortunately didn't injure myself.
During the Covid pandemic, because my younger daughter is teaching via Zoom in her home, I've been caring for my 16-month-old granddaughter in my home 3 to 4 days a week. Daycare has been closed. On the days I don't have her, I have to rest, with virtually no other activity. By February 1st, my daughter will be back teaching at her school. For the remainder of the school year, I'll have my granddaughter M-F. I made that commitment for the child. My resolution for 2021, after February thru May, is no more childcare except in an emergency.
#4...To downsize and get rid of everything for which I no longer have use. I have closets (4) filled with quality business attire which I haven't had occasion to wear in years. In the back of my mind, I always am thinking of going back to work, even after 20 years of retirement. Even though retired, I was purchasing clothing as though I'd be wearing it in a business meeting. 99% of the time I'm in sweats or jeans and a T-shirt with a zip front sweatshirt.
#6 Donate my inexpensive guitars and ukuleles to school programs; sell the expensive/rare ones.
Many more.
How about you?
Steve, went through the same thing after I retired. Always wore suits or sportcoats and ties for business. Mmust also admit I was a bit of a clothes horse. At retirement I had around 10 suits, a dozen or so sportcoats, probably 60+ dress shirts and a hundred ties. Plus several really nice dress and casual jackets, at least 4 nice leather ones. Packed them all up and gave them to the viet nam vets store in Sherwood, Ca. They would give them free to vets returning from overseas who needed dress clothes for job interviews or work. Suggest you look for such an organization there. If you are like me I couldn't quite accept the idea of my $600 suits and $40 dress shirts going on a Goodwill rack for peanuts. Check out DAV , Amvets, or VFW.

Absolutely, positively going to quit buying any more pipes for at least 6 months. And smoke down my cellar by half. That will eat up most of the year, lol.

Ranger...really great solution re the clothes. Way to go, bro!
Yep, as I am a pretty big guy and worked out a lot, most of my suits were custom tailored, 48 or 50 long but only 34 waist. Figured vets coming back would fit them and needed them more than the gen pop.

Yep, as I am a pretty big guy and worked out a lot, most of my suits were custom tailored, 48 or 50 long but only 34 waist.
Until I was in my 40s, I was a welterweight. Almost all of my suits and sportcoats are a 40 or 42 short, 33 waist. Legs and arms are short, but my biceps and triceps required an athletic cut or a looser cut and more tailoring. I went through the closets this morning and I think I'll keep one black suit, navy blazer and a couple pairs of dress slacks. I'm really considering getting rid of every necktie.

My resolution for 2021 is to hopefully survive the year. Will continue to help with my Granddaughter in Indiana who will be turning three, with her surgeries and recovery at Shriners hospital. Trying to decide if I will sell my house in Arizona and permanently move to Indiana. Would like to do some more dry camping up on the Mogollon Rim in 2021 along with some turkey hunting but don't see it happening. Don't see much pipe purchasing the coming year but am looking forward to smoking up some of my blends that have been aging in the cellar.

Until I was in my 40s, I was a welterweight. Almost all of my suits and sportcoats are a 40 or 42 short, 33 waist. Legs and arms are short, but my biceps and triceps required an athletic cut or a looser cut and more tailoring. I went through the closets this morning and I think I'll keep one black suit, navy blazer and a couple pairs of dress slacks. I'm really considering getting rid of every necktie.
Yep, couldn't wear regular suits cause most come with 8/10" drop. No way could I wear 38/40 pants even tailored. Back pockets would be touching, lol. While in Denver I discovered Evan-Picone athletic cut suits. Big in the chest and arms with 12" drop. So a 48L came with 36 pants and only had to take out 2/3". I kept one black suit, one gray, navy blazer, 2 sportcoats, 8 slacks, a dozen shirts and maybe 10 ties. AND, haven't worn a one of them in at least 5 years, lol. My dress up these days is usually pressed blue jeans, western corduroy sport coat, boots and hat of course. Guess I should donate the dress clothes heh?

My resolution for 2021 is to hopefully survive the year. Will continue to help with my Granddaughter in Indiana who will be turning three, with her surgeries and recovery at Shriners hospital. Trying to decide if I will sell my house in Arizona and permanently move to Indiana. Would like to do some more dry camping up on the Mogollon Rim in 2021 along with some turkey hunting but don't see it happening. Don't see much pipe purchasing the coming year but am looking forward to smoking up some of my blends that have been aging in the cellar.
Mike, hate to see you leave our great state but understand the motivation. If you happen to go through Prescott on the way to the mogollon rim give me a shout. We can have a couple bowls on the patio with beer/ bourbon/wine/ water. Your choice.

My dress up these days is usually pressed blue jeans, western corduroy sport coat, boots and hat of course. Guess I should donate the dress clothes heh?
I'm trying to remember my last dress-up. Hmm. Wedding of a daughter, tux then a change to a guyabera shirt, Panama hat, and custom roll habano.
Years ago............

Many more.
How about you?
Lord, Brother, I loudly second your first resolution. I'm cranking over 75 in 2021 and if I outline three things I want to do on any given day, I'm bloody lucky to get one done. Not including the obligatory meditation (a.k.a. "The Nap") in the afternoon.
#4 - The downsize. Wifey and I are set to move into a 'step-down' community. Basically moving from a full size house to a 2 bedroom apartment. The accumulated debris of 15 years MUST GO.
Know anyone who wants a complete 'wet darkroom' with attendant photographic enlarger, trays and timers? Didn't think so!
Funny, gave most of my better tools to my nephew, an accomplished woodworker.
Avoid the Covid-19. A resolution we can all embrace.
Happy New Year

Know anyone who wants a complete 'wet darkroom' with attendant photographic enlarger, trays and timers? Didn't think so!
Many years ago, I gave my gear to the U of MN Studio Art Department. I had stuff I hadn't used in years, including a color analyzer, processing drums, trays, etc. The journalism photo department was already digital. I sold a Mamiya rwin lense reflex, Leica iiig, Canon II S4, 4x5 speed graphic, Yashicamat, etc. on Ebay for peanut shells.

Looked on Ebay for what my clutch of film Nikons are going for. Like your analogy to peanut shells. Hell, even some of my older digital DSLRs are going for a song.
Of course, when you look at the quality of the camera on a decent smart phone; it's no wonder folks ain't toting 2 pound Canons and Nikons with zoom lenses.

Steve, went through the same thing after I retired. Always wore suits or sportcoats and ties for business. Mmust also admit I was a bit of a clothes horse. At retirement I had around 10 suits, a dozen or so sportcoats, probably 60+ dress shirts and a hundred ties. Plus several really nice dress and casual jackets, at least 4 nice leather ones. Packed them all up and gave them to the viet nam vets store in Sherwood, Ca. They would give them free to vets returning from overseas who needed dress clothes for job interviews or work. Suggest you look for such an organization there. If you are like me I couldn't quite accept the idea of my $600 suits and $40 dress shirts going on a Goodwill rack for peanuts. Check out DAV , Amvets, or VFW.
I have my older daughter scouting for such an organization. As I'm writing, wearing a pair of Walmart $6.00 sweats, I'm looking at a Brioni cashmere sportcoat hanging over a dining room chair. I can't even remember when I hung the sportcoat there. I've donated a lot to Goodwill, but, in truth, it annoys me that Goodwill pays its in-store employees next to minimum wage, while the CEO of MN Goodwill is being paid $350K base, plus a percentage of gross sales (according to MN Charity Review Council).

And since I wrote my resolutions on December 28th, my life has changed beyond any prediction.

Know what you mean. When I was working for Bombardier in Tucson they pushed us to contribute to United Way because they wanted to be able to claim 100% participation. I refused because according to official records less than 20% of their revenues actually went to charity organizations. The head of united way in Tucson was making over 120K at the time, mid 90s, and they had just built a new building for 125 million in the foothills, some of the priciest land in town. Nah, I don't think so.

When I worked for the Airlines in Phoenix Senior Management also pushed for all of Mid-Management to donate to United Way. I refused for the very reasons you did. The other joke was their requirement that you participated in Maricopa County's annual car pool computer poll. Apparently they got some kind of tax break if they met a certain percentage of employee participation. There was no way Supervisors or above in Tech Ops could car pool with our schedules.

I have my older daughter scouting for such an organization. As I'm writing, wearing a pair of Walmart $6.00 sweats, I'm looking at a Brioni cashmere sportcoat hanging over a dining room chair. I can't even remember when I hung the sportcoat there. I've donated a lot to Goodwill, but, in truth, it annoys me that Goodwill pays its in-store employees next to minimum wage, while the CEO of MN Goodwill is being paid $350K base, plus a percentage of gross sales (according to MN Charity Review Council).

And since I wrote my resolutions on December 28th, my life has changed beyond any prediction.
I worked for non-profits in the medical field for years. People with developmental disabilities and/or mental illness. I know a lot of people had problems with what the executives made. Same when people talk about PBS, NPR, etc. The thing is: while these places are not about profit, they are businesses that need quality people making decisions and steering the ship. These businesses have to compete for talent with for-profit businesses. All the stresses, expectations, demands, responsibilities, and whatnot are there, be it for-profit or non-profit.* These executives also have debt or whatever like everyone else. Running PBS can't be reduced to an altruistic endeavor. I worked for the average skilled executive, and I worked for exceptionally skilled executives. The difference was clear. It was also common office scuttlebutt that the latter could be working for a Fortune 500 company, but they chose to take a pay cut, though still making a very large sum of money, because the pursuit was more rewarding. In short, you get what you pay for, even in the non-profit world.

The living wage thing is a whole conversation onto itself. No arguments from me about that. All this talk about "we can't get people to work because of the C-19 relief stimulus" is about "we can't get anyone to work for $10 (or less)." It won't happen, but maybe now is the time for the conversation about living wages?

*I'd venture to guess that non-profit higher ups have even more stress and responsibility because of the unrealistic, and relentless, expectations of the public at large.

As for resolutions, I can't make them. They aren't healthy for me. Just another way to be disappointed in myself or circumstances. I work well with deadlines, but placing them on myself has never been my forte.

Last edited:
Regardless of his competence and experience, I think it's immoral for the CEO of Target Corporation to have been paid 77.5 million dollars for 2020 while workers at some Target stores cannot afford to house, cloth, and feed their families on their Target hourly wage.

Regardless of his competence and experience, I think it's immoral for the CEO of Target Corporation to have been paid 77.5 million dollars for 2020 while workers at some Target stores cannot afford to house, cloth, and feed their families on their Target hourly wage.
Absolutely. Zero to the contrary. I only speak of non-profits and having to pay for skill, talent, and knowledge.

I don't know if this is still the case, but I remember the Daytons donating 10% of Target's profits to charity. That was more than 20 years ago though. There are entire books dedicated to the way Walmart treats its employees. Amazon now too. I read 1/2 of one of the Walmart books, and I put it down. So outlandish and depressing that it read like something from The Onion.