Resting to mature

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkaraca

Reaction score
Last3-4 months blends resting to mature. 5 of them are my regular daily blends which hits the spot for me.
20221120_145536.jpg

Love it when you have a well stocked cupboard/cellar. Goes for most things including wine, cigars, pipe tobacco etc. Then you have to resist the temptation! What are your blends if I might ask?

Let’s turn that interesting question over to the general membership.

To all those good souls in the peanut gallery…how about shouting out your top 3 to 5 go to blends.

As for me, I am reluctant to rule out a number of beloved treasures by not listing them, but that’s the game, right?

Blackhorse Favorites: (not necessarily in order)

Esoterica Stonehaven (unobtainable - but I have a stash)
Gawith Dark Flake/Plug Unscented
John Patton Dark Horse (only via 4 Noggins)
John Patton Storm Front (as above)
Country Squire Rivendell (recently renamed - current name unknown to me)
Gawith #7 Broken Flake
And others…

Mine have been changing lately. I only recently began to order from the US, my choices have dramatically increased in a very short period of time.
Currently: Byzantium (C&D), Virginia Slices (Sutliff), and Old Professor (Sutliff). Honourable mention to Half and Half and Missouri Meerschaum 150th Anniversary.

This is subject to change as I explore more options.

Five??? Well, here goes today's Top 5:
B.S.O.S.M
Original Barking Dog
Original Walnut
McClelland's Christmas Cheer
Original Larus Bros. Edgeworth Sliced.
This list will all change tomorrow!!!!! FTRPLT

You have BSOSM? What year?
My youngest is from 2008! I had a contract gig in Johannesburg, SA; managed to buy 8 pouches at one shop. Got a few more at another. I also picked up a good 8-10 ozs. several years ago when I purchased a big lot of various tobaccos from a Brother cleaning out his stash!!! I ration my "rare" unobtaniums carefully!! The Larus Bros. is only smoked on extra special occasions. FTRPLT

My youngest is from 2008! I had a contract gig in Johannesburg, SA; managed to buy 8 pouches at one shop. Got a few more at another. I also picked up a good 8-10 ozs. several years ago when I purchased a big lot of various tobaccos from a Brother cleaning out his stash!!! I ration my "rare" unobtaniums carefully!! The Larus Bros. is only smoked on extra special occasions. FTRPLT
In college back in the early 70s BSOSM was my everyday go to.

For the last three months, In order of weight smoked:

- GH Ennerdale Flake/mixture

- GH Kendal Flake

- Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

- Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

- GH Dark Flake Aromatic

I can confirm that Ennerdale mixture is simply the flakes that are too beat up to package nicely, not a different recipe or preparation. IMHO mixture should be much cheaper, so for now I'll pay the extra $5/LB for the intact flakes.

I never gave SWRA a fair shake until I went to make some of Ranger's Urban cowboy... and I haven't made it past that part of the recipe lol!

For the last three months, In order of weight smoked:

- GH Ennerdale Flake/mixture

- GH Kendal Flake

- Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

- Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

- GH Dark Flake Aromatic

I can confirm that Ennerdale mixture is simply the flakes that are too beat up to package nicely, not a different recipe or preparation. IMHO mixture should be much cheaper, so for now I'll pay the extra $5/LB for the intact flakes.

I never gave SWRA a fair shake until I went to make some of Ranger's Urban cowboy... and I haven't made it past that part of the recipe lol!
Urban Cowboy is not SWRA just straight SWR.