Resume of the TAPS 11th Annual Pipe & Tobacco show-4-19

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Gimper

Reaction score
Just returned from Raleigh after attending the TAPS show & it was close to awesome this year! The show was slightly smaller last year but the vendors & attendees were there in force this year. The vendors included Steve Monjure(now there's a surprise), Cornell & Diehl, The James Island Piper, Don Seatter, McCranies manned by the ever smiling Trent McCranie, Mr Lawdog, Robert Lawing plus about 30+ more vendors with tables jam-packed with everything from pipes, tobacco, stands, & some bamboo & stems from Bob Ray's estate. The club had been given special dispensation from the State so smoking was allowed in the building. I sold a few pipes & traded a few pipes so I think that I broke even but the vendors that I spoke to were exceptionally pleased with their sales. I am sure that there will be other reports regarding the show & I hope, more detailed than mine. Any way you cut it, the show was memorable & will, hopefully, be back next April with smoking again permitted.

Grant,

Thanks for taking the time to write your report. Sorry I missed meeting you there. Maybe next year.

Jim

Hi Grant. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you. I was across the isle from justpipes, selling my tampers. It was a great show! I had a superb time!! I look forward to meeting you next year.

I have always heard great things about TAPS. It sure would be nice to go one year but it is a long way from here and I hate to fly unless its exstremely important, family etc but I do like to drive LOL :sunny:

Regor,

that would be awesome if you could make it out for the TAPS show one year!

I sure wish I could. That is one of the shows I would get to if we had the money. I keep wishing I'd hit it big on the lottery. What a ball we would have :lol!: :drunken: :sunny: :sunny:

You never know Regor, you could hit that lottery yet and if you do and come out for the show you could by me a pipe! :lol:

Thanks for the good report Grant! Glad to know that pipe smoking is alive and well in the deep south!....

Best,
D.J.

I felt compelled to relate this little story that grew out of the TAPS event. As most of you know, I have been attending this show for several years & enjoying every moment but never won any raffle prize. This year, our granddaughter & husband were in Raleigh, visiting friends so they took time to stop by the show for a brief visit with old Granddad & Grandmother. Since neither smoke any tobacco products, I was surprised to hear that they bought a few raffle tickets. Sunday evening, following the close of the show, my adopted grandson got a call from a TAPS member indicating that he had won a prize!!! OK, As previously mentioned, I have never won a box of matches but I am now the proud owner of five tins of Greg Pease's more recent blends, one eight ounce tin of a C & D aromatic & two pipes; one from Canada & one from Italy. The real giggle that I got concerned the vendor who supplied the treasure; Trent McCranie, no less. Trent is the big dog at the northern McCranies somewhere in nothern Mecklenburg County, NC. Ironic because I live about twenty-five miles from Charlotte & the McCranies where their business originated. That's my story & I'm sticking to it!

I have finally returned from all my sojourns; including a good bit of time in Raleigh,NC. I missed the local TAPS meeting due to a family emergency; but made the TAPS Pipe Show. What a super showing; my wife even liked it!! She was amazed at all the wonderful collections of pipes and pipe-related items for sale! I had the pleasure of meeting Justpipes (handing out samples of Walnut, no less!!) and lots of other other fine folks. Really looking forward to next year!! This is one really super fine show, guys! Maybe next year we could get together for a brew, or two; either before, or after, the show!!! FTRPLT

Fighter Pilot, I am looking forward to sharing a beer with you next year!