Retirement

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Retirement. A difficult subject at best, and perhaps a dirty word at the worst?!

There are those amongst us who have crossed over into this situation, and one in which all of us must consider at some point sooner or later. I myself am now knocking on that very door in a few years.

After much thought and consideration, I've determined that I'd like to retire at age 66. That's only a few 3 years away. And it will be determined by my health. Right now I'm fine except for a few issues, but they aren't serious. That could change of course.

The driving force for this is that my SS compensation will almost double at 66. That's significant. And please don't let this thread devolve into a political discussion of the demise of SS. That's not my intent.

Please understand that my life has been all about my career for 27+ years. I love what I do and want to go on doing it as long as possible. Yet the physical demands are much the same as when I got into this industry. One has to be realistic about what the body can sustain.

I've had some issues recently but they have not prevented me from fulfilling my duties. Equally, I realize that I'm not in my youth anymore when I got into this. Not trying to play the age card here, just being practical.

I'm rambling here, so will just ask those of you who are retired or are about to chime in. Once I'm retired what does one do to fill up the day? I'm used to physical activity and tasks. 

I hasten to add that that I'm not one to go to the gym or resign myself to fishing every day. I do have my music, and will continue to pursue that as long as I can.

So what words of wisdom can you impart, you retired folks? I am reminded that there is wisdom in many counsels.

Perhaps this is too serious a thread for this site. Be that as it may.

Cheers,

RR

Dude, retirement is a whole 'nother thing compared to working for a living.  Unless your SS benefits are the same amount as your salary was, you will have to do some rethinking lifestyle wise for sure !! You will have LOTS of time on your hands unless you try to stay busy and actually this can be something to enjoy so do it !! The one thing I've learned in being retired for over 4 years now is ENJOY the changes in your life as they can be as beneficial as working !! And there WILL be changes ! :twisted: :twisted:

Take up a physical hobby you can do alone or with two people. Hiking, wild life photography, (stereo typical) golf, etc... While I'm far from retiring I hope I'll still be rock climbing until I'm dead.

While some doors close, other will open for you.

Consulting is good work, if you can get it.

You strike me as a person that will find plenty of ways to while away the hours....................

(Read it as proverbs, not prose..lol)
I may or may not be retired, but I haven't worked in two years.. Scribed, Amazon Prime/Netflix, and lots and lots of comfortable pajama pants.  

Amateur Radio, Model RailRoading, Shooting & Reloading (if you have access to a free range), and a bazillion other endeavors can keep you busy..

If you want to stay active get a little Yorkie, he will keep you working overtime just keeping up with him.

Not punching a clock or stressing over deadlines isn't as hard to do as you are making it sound.  

Get one of those pick up truck sized RV's and go drive in the left lane of the interstate 15mph under the limit and hang out at the KAO at night.  

In short do whatever your heart desires, within financial and physical ability..

I'm not retired. Not even close. I still have more working years ahead of me than I have behind me, unless I hit the lottery. I'm close with several retired family members though and I've figured out a few dos and don'ts from observing them.

The first thing is to stay physically active, preferably outside. It doesn't have to be much as long as you're moving. A daily dog walk is enough to do wonders.

Second, stay mentally active as well. Pick up a hobby or trade that will challenge you and require you to problem solve. The more foreign it is the better. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Third and last (and I think most important), maintain social interactions. Keep in touch with friends and make new ones. It's easy to separate yourself when you're not on the same schedule as most of the rest of the world. Once withdrawn, it will feel like the troubles are piling on as insignificant problems will assume more and more importance as your world becomes smaller. Keeping up those social interactions will tend to put those sorts of things into a more proper perspective.

That's all I've got, man. Hope it helps.

Been retired ten years. Had the great benefit of retiring just before my employer switched from a defined benefit (good) to a defined contribution (bad) benefit plan. And I was in the 401k plan for nearly 30 years. I didn't need to work anymore and couldn't wait to go.

My two cents worth -- put out of your mind the idea that your future worth is somehow connected with the refillable niche your employer had you arbitrarily pegged into. Do not try to recreate your past life. It's past, gone, finis. Fuggetaboutit. Forget about being productive, too, at least in the way you've been habituated into thinking about it. Eat breakfast. Take walks or drives. Read the ten greatest American novels. Hang out. Talk to people. Check the "activities" section of your local newspaper, and go to some of them. Soon enough, you'll find interesting people and opportunities to help you rediscover your natural interests and paths.

Find the movie "About Schmidt" with Jack Nicholson. It's a pretty good portrayal of a guy making the work - retirement transition.

As you know Rande, I'm a few years from retirement but I can draw upon my observations of my parent's retirement.

My folks have always been busy types, at work, home and in the 'early years', Scouting so they harboured similar concerns to yourself. As is their way, they set about being as organised as they could to ease the transition.

Firstly, they decided to re-locate to a new and more manageable home. As a family we grew up in a large (by our standards) 4 bed house and they identified that with my brother and I long gone, downsizing would be a sensible move. They did their homework too. They made a list of all the things that considered would be important to them in their retirement years; good public transport links, a health centre they could walk to, an efficient home, access to the nearest city (Exeter) and a place with a strong sense of community.

They moved 10 or so years ago now and are really happy. Dad spends much of his time in his workshop tinkering on projects. He restores bikes and vintage mopeds and enjoys aero modelling. He has recently just finished making an electric bike made completely from scrap. Mum does a lot of work with the church, organising coffee mornings and dressing the church with flowers. During the summer much of their time is spent on the allotment growing their own fruit and veg. They'll spend whole days up there breaking the days with regular brews and snacks made on a camp stove. They've always been super active and have continued this by either walking or riding their bikes as much as possible; instead of making a large shop using a vehicle they do regular smaller shops using a bike with panniers.

They do have one regular complaint though... they don't have enough time in the day!

I have been retired a little over 3 years. Some random thoughts:

You already know just about all you need to know to survive. Now you learn things because they interest you.

If you are not extravagant and want to ski in Vail and winter in the Bahamas, it costs less to live than you think.

You will have more time to do that which brings you enjoyment and pleasure. That can be as hedonistic or altruistic as suits you.

Been retired for 4 years and love it. You do need some hobbies/interest. Otherwise, you'll be bored and miss work. Doesn't matter what the interest are so long as the time spent enriches you. I have more time for skeet shooting, hunting, reading, movies, pipe smoking, my German Shorthaired pointer, my church, and the gym. Don't discount joining a gym. You don't have to bust it with the young jocks. I didn't visit a gym from college until retirement. Since I go briefly and regularly 3 times a week. Within a year, I'd gotten back to my high school weight. Additionally, I don't seem to have the aches & pains nor need the meds compared to other 69 year olds.

Another pleasant retirement surprise is that your cost of living goes down unless traveling is one of your activities. Without the expenses of commuting, restaurant lunches, business wardrobe, and the like, you'll just spend less. My largest savings were medical cost, but I was self employed and had a huge private policy premium which went away with medicare.

A subject I've been pondering for a while now. I've decided to keep working until I no longer meet yearly certification requirements. There's many variables involved in this decision and a few months from now my reasons may not be valid.  Financial/health,,,weighing best case vs worst case on both issues is a crap shoot at best.

I've got a couple years until I reach the SS balance point, at that time things probably will have changed for me.

I say, if you got the money to retire comfortably and, that doesn't me ya have to be wealthy.
Do it! I was forced into retirement and didn't have to dimes to rub together. I do fine but, if I'd
had a savings it would have been great. Just don't depend on Uncle Sam to give you the money he owes ya and you'll be fine. ;)
Oh! and get a hobby or you'll go stare crazy. :lol:

Retired 5 years and enjoy not busting out at 5:30am. I really enjoy no longer being at the end of the 'on-call' ball and chain. Never thought I would be the health club kind of guy but the wife got me into pickle ball where she belongs and some of those old folks are out for blood. Joined a Sr golf league at a small club down the road. That got me into a regular poker night. We can go and come as we please to longer need to deal with vacation days. I also have a GSP recuse and that boy can go all day. To make a long story short you become master of your time.

Rande, as Cart said do not count on the money showing up when it's supposed to and you'll be fine. Stay active and use your noodle or you will go crazy. Retired in 96 and I'm still kicking butt and taking names.

Jim

The thought of retirement scares the crap out of me.
I have been a Civil Servant for the better part of 27 years and I am still facing retiring at 62 to get a "semi decent" pension. (I jumped around in various retirement systems that aren't compatible. Railroad Retirement which was reverted to Social Security, County & State, and currently a Federal FERS pension system.)

I'm 47 right now and I am coming to the realization that I am becoming "burnt out". I can't make another jump to another agency or pension system. I am too old to going back to a Full Time Police Officer position. I am getting nervous thinking about what may happen. I can't seem to find any joy in what I currently do. This is mostly due to mismanagement and apathy of the agency.

What to do.......what to do. :shock:

huffelpuff":q4ejarck said:
Rande, as Cart said do not count on the money showing up when it's supposed to and you'll be fine. Stay active and use your noodle or you will go crazy. Retired in 96 and I'm still kicking butt and taking names.

Jim
Jim, And I'm glad your doing well sir, we don't hear from you enough anymore. ;)

I did that nearly two years ago. Still reasonably young and not tapping SS yet. A level payment plan was a choice but I chose to hold out, live on the monthly retirement, and then gain the SS when eligible. That way I do not have to give part of it back for having tapped it early.

Immediately when retiring you gain say, 50 hours a week to spend money. You have to resist that temptation. I have a bunch of hobbies that keep me busy. Plus mowing grass and pushing snow for the truly old people in our little town. You have to reduce stress. I could be more active. Cardiac Rehab will probably get me more active I suspect. I was very lucky to have an event with such seemingly minor effects.

There just does not seem to be enough hours in a day for all I want to do. Time passes so fast as you age. The perception of it changing I think is closer to the truth. I enjoy my pot of coffee in the morning. So nice not to have to rush to work or worry about the weather. Except for the fact that the wife is out in it.

Carlos":khlomesb said:
There just does not seem to be enough hours in a day for all I want to do.  Time passes so fast as you age.  The perception of it changing I think is closer to the truth.  I enjoy my pot of coffee in the morning.  So nice not to have to rush to work or worry about the weather.
This^^^^^^^^ ;)

...I retired two years ago...yes, early retirement, and after working 47 years, I was ready. However, part of my decision to retire early was to raise 5 special needs children I have adopted over the last 5 years. Now, ages 12, 14, 15, 16, and 19, I am far busier today than ever. My oldest sons, ages 20 and 33 plus two grandkids 10 and 12, require my time as well.

Stated earlier, doors close and more will open, I find this especially true...I know I could have never accomplished this task when I was younger because I wouldn't have had the patience to contend with that many kids.

Best wishes to those contemplating retirement...