Revelation tobacco???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a decent knock-off of Revelation available?

I used to enjoy Revelation from House of Windsor, which was believed to be Einstein's fav smoke. It was a wild mix of cubes, ribbons and chunks of flake with a bit of latakia plus a mystery topping that pipers endlessly speculated on. (Pineapple, mebbe?) Some smokers were vocal about disliking Rev, but many others (me included) liked it very much, were encouraged when House of Windsor reintroduced it and some of their other classic blends. But then, apparently, House of Wimdsor went kaput around 2002 and -- ah, the inequity!! -- no bailout was forthcoming.

I found an empty Revelation tin in my closet and it still carried the familiar scent which got me hankering and thinking.

I think House of Windsor was located in Pennsylvania. Wonder if Boswell has a knock-off, though I didn't see anything on his menu that seemed to be a match.

C&D's Epiphany is supposed to be a knockoff of Revelation, although it is designed after the Revelation of Philip Morris if I remember Bob Runowski's writings correcty. It is a delightful smoke and I keep a lb. here at home at all times.

Smokey

Altadis revelation match is very close. Very. DRT999 sent me sample. Love at first puff. Sutliff makes one called "R" blend that's good too.
I've got a few bowls of the real thing left and smoked it side by side with the Altadis Revelation match and had a hard time telling them apart. You won't go wrong with either one of those.

Thankee, Brothers. I ordered a pound from Cup o' Joes, and my new MM cobs and I are looking forward to relaxing under the pine tree.

Another vote for C&D's Epiphany, a wonderful, lighter lat-ish blend that is rather like the older (not the original, I'm not that old!) Revelation incarnations. I think of it as achieving what Walnut want's to be? Also mixes well with everything from 1792 flake to kick it up, Uhle's Bishop's Move to latafie it, or even a touch of most any decent aromatic to make it palatable to most non smokers around you.

Natch

Tried the Altadis today, and I agree it's pretty close to the HOW version, though it doesn't have the aftertaste I recall. The C&D is "in the mail" as they say. Thanks, again, for your recs.

I've smoked half a doz bowls of the Altadis version of Revelation and thought there may be some interest in the following --

It sure looks like the real thing , showing nice golden Vas, burley and a bit of Latakia. It doesn't show those gritty little pebbles that the House of Windsor version had. To me, the aroma is burley-ish, but that's ok. It seems to deliver a varied taste, depending on the pipe. In a cob, the burley comes through. In a new Sav with the balsa filter in, it also tastes mostly like burley, but with more sweetness than the cob. Take the filter out of the Sav and the taste has more variety than the burley monotone. Still, nothing made me think, "Say, that pineapple topping is familiar!" But in a 40-year-old Mountbatten prince (no filter), the taste moved more toward my recollection of the House of Windsor version, had some variety in it and at times delivered a deja vu topping flavor that was subtle but pleasant if temporary. The smoking experience varied from better than just okay to, depending on the pipe.

Revelation would be a good companion for any activity that calls for a low maintenance smoke. It is easy to pack, light, keep lit and wants to burn all the way to the bottom of the bowl without heroic puffing. It would be a very good choice for breaking in a pipe or for a beginner looking for a cooperatve tobacco.

Seldom willing to leave well enough alone, I might add some Erinmore Flake (you know, with the pineapple on the tin), to an ounce or so of Revelation and see what it does to the topping flavor.

So I was about halfway down another bowl of Revelation in one of my Peterson quarter bents when -- voila! -- where did this wonderful, smooth, soft, sweetness come from? It would appear, then slip away and continued so through the scond half of the bowl, right to the end. Now, that was a marvel, thought I. I don't remember that taste before. Then it dawned on me. The previous inhabitant of this pipe was SG Best Brown Flake. It had lingered awhile and had come back like an old friend to pay a visit. Sometimes I feel sorry for non-pipers.