Review of Box Pass samples

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Let's all share our thoughts on what we smoked from the box :D Seems a shame for us all to be sampling the goodies without sharing and comparing our opinions, so here's the place to do it :)

I have to start with the Maduro cut cake, an amazing blend. Pease has accomplished something quite special with this one. The flakes are superb, everything is quite melded together as far as flavors go and the result is a flavorful, cool smoking tobacco where the cigar note is slightly sweet and ever present but not overbearing, backed up very subtly by a light measure of latakia. This is simply one of the finest tobacco's I've ever smoked!

Maltese Falcon: I was impressed right off the bat with the smoky tin aroma of this stuff. Someone mentioned KC masterpiece, another said Blackwoods flake without the ketchup, both good analogies. Lot's of dark tobacco in the blend and my first thought was "OK, this is going to be a lat bomb" but it wasn't so. The latakia was definitely present, but in quite a moderate amount - it never dominated. The smokiness was quite present throughout the entire bowl and there were some interesting flavors there I couldn't put my finger on. I can see what all the hype is about, this is a very fine and interesting smoke. I've never had anything quite like it.

Peter Heinrich's 312: A virginia blend with some sweetened black cavendish blended in. Normally I just don't bother with these kind of blends but I do like the occasional aromatic, kind of how you may not be a dessert eater but occasionally indulge in some haagen-dazs. This stuff bit me pretty good during the first smoke in a fairly small pipe. When I bagged the sample there was enough there for two bowls, so I figured why not try it in a different pipe. Yesterday I loaded the remains into a Stanwell golden danish bent dublin that smokes pretty darned well and settled in to concentrate on smoking this stuff very slowly. It turns out that this is a very well made, high class Virginia and when sipped it doesn't bite, at least not in that particular pipe. The aromatic nature is modest and the virginia flavors dominate. There are even some of Heinrich's curlies in the mix adding a nice depth to the smoke. I enjoyed it very much, smoked it right to the bottom! This is much, much nicer than most any other aromatic Va I've smoked before, very good stuff! I'm going to try to grab a couple tins of this. Hopefully it's still available - Mars doesn't list it right now, not sure who else carries Heinrich's online.

More to come!

Looking forward to the rest of you sharing your experiences! 8)

:afro:

Well,,,,,,,,,,, I gave my best thoughts and impressions during the box pass. Those were my genuine feelings in real time. And since I don't have the special knack for writing, I don't think I can offer much more than those first impressions. I will say this about the two Pease blends. They are what I consider a special treat. Much in the same way that steak and lobster and cheesecake are to daily eating. Yes I really liked them, and yes I am going to buy some. I just don't think that I could enjoy them every day. On the other hand, I think that I could smoke the broken scotch cake daily. We shall see . . .

Oh, yes, I did try the Sail Natural. Didn't really care for it too much. Kind of sharp and bitey. I know, I know, details. Cut me some slack man, I'm only made from tin.

I liked the broken scotch cake so much that I ran out and bought a tin, smoked half of that and ordered a 500G bag 8)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That's what I'm talkin' about! Got Scotch Cake?

:pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe:

Not really much of a reviewer here, usually I can tell if I really like a blend right off. Others take a little time to grow on me, and some I just don't like. But, try and put it into words I cannot.

I am currently smoking Rum & Maple and will give SHMBO's opinion. "I really like that one!" Emphasis on the word "really". I almost fell out of my chair. This is a suprise as she usually turns her nose up at the mere mention of a pipe. Looks like this might become a staple for indoor smokes.

I really liked the Broken Scotch Cake and the Maduro Cut Cake. I found the MCC to be very creamy.

I tried the Bullseye Flake and it had an off taste and roomnote. (I was not quite over the flu yet and I attribute it to that). I must revisit this one.

I must admit the shocker for me was the Broken Scotch Cake. I was not expecting to like it at all. I am going to order 500 oz. of this stuff with my next order. I have trying to find something just like this since I started smoking pipes! This will be a good change of pace for me. I don't know if it would ever be an all day smoke but it will be in the rotation.

-Jeff

Jeeper,

R&M does have a very nice room note and is quite tasty to boot!

My curiosity is peeking concerning the Broken Scotch Cake. I am definitely anxious to try it now.

i sampled the broken scotch cake... To me all i tasted was the lakeland effect which i enjoyed more in 1792 flake form or Kendall Cream Flake. The Pease Maduro Cut cake was top notch. a Pease best IMO and I hope its release is soon.

Boxpasses are great for several reasons. The variety of samples. Finding out that other people smoke tobacco fairly dry and I have learned to really enjoy many blends that way. The incredible smell of all those tobaccos.

The Maduro Cut Cake is really great. It looks like Fillmore. It certainly is cigar-like. But not as much as Robusto. When first lit, I swear I could taste some Montgomery in there. Any latakia present is as a condiment for my tastes. When it's available I will be able to properly spend time with it. But one bowl tells me that I will need to order around 10 2oz tins and numerous 8oz, possibly 1 pounders for the cellar. Plenty of Vitamin N. Should make many people happy.

I smoked a small bowl of Rum rope yesterday evening. Very nice and much milder than expected. I used the scissor method of slicing some up. A little cigar-like flavor. Not too strong in both the Vitamin N and flavor department. But that may have been pipe choice greatly influencing that. A smallish John Crosby noted for excellent smoking.

Right now C&D Epiphany in a bent Kaywoodie Gray Fox 2007 POY. I remember this one. Don't recall what it was called, but I have smelled it before when I was a kid. Funny how certain blends do that. Make you time travel into the past. Kind of a scoop load and light press. Touch a match and away you go. Mike, thanks for including it. :D

Are you thinking of Revelation? LMK, you got me curious about this now LOL :cyclops:

regor":4kttvd4o said:
Are you thinking of Revelation? LMK, you got me curious about this now LOL :cyclops:
I think that is the blend that inspired Epiphany. But I was referring to the memory of being around someone who smoked something that smelled very similar. No telling what it was. We are talking around 40-45 years ago.

Arcadia is a nice blend. I thought that it might be too mild for me at first. But it soon settled in as a fine smoke. Not so much perique. Only a light sweat came up on my head. Perique seems to make me sweat. Probably some Tabasco in that recipe. :lol:

I had loaded up a Ruthenberg with Peter Henrichs 312. Finally got around to smoking it. Typical Danish style tobacco. A lot of Virginia cavendish so I had packed it with a light hand. Easy to light and very good just sipped at. I suspect it would bite like a rabid cat if packed tighter and puffed up a bit. Similar to some of the MacBaren's blends. Can put a tingle on the tongue, as if it were spicy.

I am not sure who put the Carter Hall in with the samples. I will have to go back and read up and see. Whoevere you are, you are resposible for my new love for Carter Hall. I have been on a recent quest for all a day burley blend. Now between Carter Hall And Edgeworth I have found them. Carter Hall is a bit sweeter to me than EER. so it is great to have both. Thanks again.

-Jeff

Afternoon All, I had a very small amount of "Key Largo" to sample, a group 3, S.S. Pierce Bent Billard, I just scored on fleabay,so could not do this tobac justice, but one word comes to mind,LUXURIOUS, also there is smoe strength to it, but not G&H strengh, can't wait till next week!Thanx, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

ps; Next up Peretti's DD blend! :tongue: