Review of GH Black Cherry Twist from Cartaphilus

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Let me just start out by saying that this tobacco is not for the faint of heart. If you're looking for a namby pamby aromatic that tastes like some fancy desert then just keep on going. This tobacco is for people who routinely brew their coffee with the addition of three rusty nails because "it just doesn't taste right without them."

Upon receiving the box I opened it to reveal something that appeared to have been deposited by a dog neatly packaged in a zip loc baggie. My first thought was that Cartaphilus must be starting to go senile because he sent me the wrong baggie. On closer inspection I realized that this was, indeed, tobacco and that I was now obligated to try it whether I wanted to or not.

What I pulled out of the baggie may have resembled a dog dropping, but smelled only of tobacco with no hint of Black Cherry. I sliced half a dozen thin coins, rubbed them out and found them to be at the perfect moisture level, so I immediately loaded them into the first Oom Paul I ever made and proceeded to light.

It took two lights and a light tamp to get the bowl going. Let me tell you, this tobacco does not screw around. The smoke is full bodied and creamy with a rich and strong taste of, not pine nuts and lemon grass, not Corinthian leather with earthy notes, not even like Black Cherries, this tobacco tasted like... well, TOBACCO! Strong, smooth tobacco with notes of asphalt and roofing tar, and just a hint of sweetness in the background. Did I mention that I didn't taste any Black Cherry? None. Not even a hint.

The bowl started out strong, but smooth, and developing slightly more strength as the bowl progressed. Somewhere near the end of the bowl (just before I lost consciousness) lady N came to me in a dream and jack-slapped me! (I kinda like it when women play rough... :twisted: ).

In all seriousness, I found this tobacco to be strong and smooth with a rich tobacco taste and a faint sweetness. There is no hint of Black Cherry what so ever, and it is fairly strong in the N department.

In short, I love it. Thanks Cartaphilus for sharing such a manly smoke with me.

Todd

It's pretty neat stuff. I have the sweet rum twist version of that rope, which is neither terribly sweet or rummy. I may have tried that cherry years ago from a box pass. They even make a coconut twist, which I can't imagine wanting to smoke. If you get their unflavored black twist you get more burnt oil and creosote flavor, the brown pigtail will give you a truer cigar-like rustic tobacco flavor without the burnt oil notes.

One thing I found these tobaccos to be good for, besides stuffing into small pipes to sip straight and grow body hair, is adding to an aromatic you may like that is a bit weak in the tobacco department. I had bought a 1/4 pound of Hearth and Home Classic Burley cake when it first came out and though I liked it's aroma and flavor, it was awfully thin tasting as far a tobacco taste went. I scissored up a bit of sweet rum twist and mixed it into the CBC, let it sit a week or so, and it was pretty darned good.

taharris":99dc8bln said:
Let me just start out by saying that this tobacco is not for the faint of heart.  If you're looking for a namby pamby aromatic that tastes like some fancy desert then just keep on going.  This tobacco is for people who routinely brew their coffee with the addition of three rusty nails because "it just doesn't taste right without them."

Upon receiving the box I opened it to reveal something that appeared to have been deposited by a dog neatly packaged in a zip loc baggie.  My first thought was that Cartaphilus must be starting to go senile because he sent me the wrong baggie.  On closer inspection I realized that this was, indeed, tobacco and that I was now obligated to try it whether I wanted to or not.

What I pulled out of the baggie may have resembled a dog dropping, but smelled only of tobacco with no hint of Black Cherry.  I sliced half a dozen thin coins, rubbed them out and found them to be at the perfect moisture level, so I immediately loaded them into the first Oom Paul I ever made and proceeded to light.

It took two lights and a light tamp to get the bowl going.  Let me tell you, this tobacco does not screw around.  The smoke is full bodied and creamy with a rich and strong taste of, not pine nuts and lemon grass, not Corinthian leather with earthy notes, not even like Black Cherries, this tobacco tasted like... well, TOBACCO!  Strong, smooth tobacco with notes of asphalt and roofing tar, and just a hint of sweetness in the background.  Did I mention that I didn't taste any Black Cherry?  None.  Not even a hint.

The bowl started out strong, but smooth, and developing slightly more strength as the bowl progressed.  Somewhere near the end of the bowl (just before I lost consciousness) lady N came to me in a dream and jack-slapped me!  (I kinda like it when women play rough... :twisted: ).

In all seriousness, I found this tobacco to be strong and smooth with a rich tobacco taste and a faint sweetness.  There is no hint of Black Cherry what so ever, and it is fairly strong in the N department.

In short, I love it.  Thanks Cartaphilus for sharing such a manly smoke with me.

Todd
It's strange how different people taste or are affected by the same tobacco. At first light I tasted Cherries ( I really did) and they seemed to wander quickly to the background as the heavy cigarish taste took over but, never felt Lady Nic hit me. Must be because I'm so use to being hit by women I just ignore it nowadays.
Todd I'm glad you enjoyed it? A little maybe?
Oh! and I know I sent you the right one cause my doctor told me the stoll sample I gave him tested fine.

I have never tried the cherry twist and from the review I think I'll pass in favor of more girlie blends. LOL
I have tried G&H top black cherry mixture though and have sworn off any cherry flavored tobacco forever.!!!!!

Lol! This stuff isn't all "that" bad. I do admit I smoke it in a small pipe, and only occasionally. I do pick up the scent of cherries on first light but after that its all tobacco all the way through. I do agree with PD it's a fine addition to some wimpyer offerings out there. Gives them some real backbone as it were. The sweet rum is nice too but unless you like the smell of suntan lotion stay away from the coconut. It doesn't taste like coconut to me but the smell is there in the background through the whole smoke.

Jim