Rhodesian vs bulldog-

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregE

Reaction score
I have been looking at pictures of these two...and wanted to try a different style, but I cant tell what the difference is between a rhodesian and a bulldog, can one of the brothers enlighten me? Thanks in advance....

If the shank is round, it's a rho to me. If the shank has a diamond-shaped cross-section, it's a bulldog. Either can be straight or bent. Also, bulldog's tend (not always) to have a greater bowl height/diameter ratio than the rho.

Buddy

Thanks for the info.... I am still completely confused and in the deep end of the pool.... I guess I will just accept whatever the maker called it..and continue calling it that while I am in possession of it.... or maybe I will just name it "ralph" and call it a night?

There are as many "correct" answers as there are people with opinions.

If you look to precedent to settle it, you'll find the mainline English firms calling the same quarter-bent, diamond-shanked pipe shape by both names 50 years ago.

A straight bulldog will ordinarily have a bowl taller than it is wide -- unless it's a squat bulldog, in which case it won't. If it's quarter-bent, it almost certainly won't unless it's some Italian hybrid.

People with Dunhill fixations insist the diamond-shanked quarter-bents are "Rhodesians." To (probably more) others, a Rhodesian has a chubby, round shank.

It goes on forever.

:face:

Buddy Springman":5wxgj5xx said:
If the shank is round, it's a rho to me. If the shank has a diamond-shaped cross-section, it's a bulldog. Either can be straight or bent. Also, bulldog's tend (not always) to have a greater bowl height/diameter ratio than the rho.

Buddy
This my understanding as well. It makes more sense.

On a more practical note, some bulldogs that are paneled at the bottom of the bowl can get too hot to hold near the end of the smoke, in my experience. It depends on the thickness of the wood down there, but I don't buy bulldogs anymore for that reason.

Steve

After the first smoke in a Peterson 80S these many years ago, they were my first love. To which I'm returning. With Virginia flakes, they (the shape) just taste better. They're usually drilled such that you can't reach the bowl with a cleaner, but I can live with that.

Yeah, they can get hot at the bottom if you don't slow down as you reach that point.

:face:

I think I know a bulldog when I see one, but when it comes to a Rhodesian, not so much. And for me, the problem with Rhodesians isn’t distinguishing them from the bulldogs but rather distinguishing them from other shapes like apple. The Savinelli 673 shape is a perfect example: I’ve seen that pipe described as a Rhodesian and as an apple. Go figure. To me, the 673 is a Rhodesian all the way.

I just use an alliteration: a Rhodesian has a round shank, therefore a bulldog is square. Better, they're both nice shapes.

I always thought it was the round vs. diamond shank.

BTW, what's the difference between an English and a Balkan?

Thomas Tkach":bpt3y35o said:
The way it was explained to me was:

An English is predominantly virginia and latakia, with some small amount of oriental leaf blended in as a spice.

A Balkan also consists of virginia, latakia and oriental, but in more balanced proportions, so that the oriental is more of a component to the blend than just a spice. I think that the portion of latakia might be less in a Balkan generally, but that that factor can vary depending on the blend in question.

Which brings up another question: If a blend is nothing but virginia and latakia, is there a specific term for that? McC' Anniversary is a virginia/latakia blend, isn't it?

Thomas Tkach":a9zmeijo said:
The English drink tea,,,The Balkans drink Rakia,,,,

That was a joke, R, because it's another question without a definitive answer. I'm sorry, my sarcastic humor doesn't really work on the interwebs, but I couldn't resist. :|

Thomas Tkach":tppfzzsy said:
That was a joke, R, because it's another question without a definitive answer. I'm sorry, my sarcastic humor doesn't really work on the interwebs, but I couldn't resist. :|
Ahh, well, it makes sense. I know that the jar of some Balkan blend I have from the local B&M seems to have much more latakia in it than most of my "English" blends, so I've always wondered at the explanation I was given.

Found this, it helps but it seems to repeat the tomato vs apple debate. The most consistent definition is that Bulls sport a diamond shank with more angular shape while Rhodesians are round shanked and squatter, in very general terms.

My understanding is if the shank is round, it's a Rhodesian. If the shank is Diamond, it's a Bulldog. An example would be the Peterson 80s vs. 999 shapes. Also, a Rhodesian always tends to be Bent as where there are Bent and Straight Bulldogs - the latter being the 'original' Bulldog shape if I am not mistaken.

My understanding is if the shank is round, it's a Rhodesian. If the shank is Diamond, it's a Bulldog. An example would be the Peterson 80s vs. 999 shapes. Also, a Rhodesian always tends to be Bent as where there are Bent and Straight Bulldogs - the latter being the 'original' Bulldog shape if I am not mistaken.
A long time ago the 80s was my favorite shape, but I lost during a move and have never replaced it for some reason.