Rim Cleaning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
I am a relatively new pipe smoker - couple years. I have not always been as careful about not over packing and lighting as I have learned to be today. As a result several of my (otherwise well maintained and good looking) briars have an unsightly build up on the rim. I now know that if I 1. don't pack the pipe to overflowing 2. light with a little attention 3. wipe the rim (usually just saliva) after a smoke then the rim can be maintained like new in appearance.

Is there anything I can use to clean the rims that I have marred with tar/residue buildup? I don't expect to be able to do much to restore the charred rims besides sanding and restaining. I'd like to clean up those that are otherwise discolored or have build up. Any suggestions?

I have actually kept my rims clean by using a small moist piece of tissue while smoking (not meerschaum pipes) , also not stuffing to the brim when packing tobacco.

I'll occasionally use a piece of cotton and some grain alcohol. Not too much, and not too wet. Just enough to get the tar off. Do not let it drip down the side of the bowl and affect the finish.

Spit on a piece of cotton t-shirt (sometimes the one that I am wearing) and a bit of rubbing works great. Seems the enzymes in the saliva does a good job of breaking down the tar in the smoke stain. Plus it is in plentiful supply and I always have some with me when I am smoking.

Nivea cream on a tissue.. and wipe gently until clean... burnt briar will stay burnt, but your residue will be gone

james

Nice advice on rim jobs ......sorry couldn't help myself. :lol!: