RIP The Greatest

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They brought him back home yesterday.  
Interesting that he never really left where he was born and raised as so many are want to do.
I have a lot of conflicting emotions regarding the man; exploring them are beyond the scope of this thread and page.
Regardless, I do feel sorry for his family, it's hard to lose someone.

Side note, he was on the news some weeks back. Some street thug had stolen the air conditioner out of his childhood home.  I'm not sure if the Clay family owns it or if it's a historical society, or even possibly the city..but I know everyone in town was up in arms.

Great boxer. Played the publicity machine to the max with the help of Howard Cosell.

Mark, I respect the man more for his stance on War than I do his boxing career.  Granted he was arguably the greatest boxer alive, but he didn't 'dodge the draft'... He boldly stood up and said "I'm not going".  That took more guts than a sanctioned fight with rules.
I'll leave His racial/religious stuff for someone else to deal with.

They are going to parade him through the streets today after having laid in state all week.  23 miles of streets if you are curious.  The mayor has enacted no parking rules along the route and encouraged people to 'line the streets to show how much we cared'
The city paid for a viewing of the movie Ali at one of the local parks with an amphitheater.
People have been scalping tickets to his memorial service, yes there are tickets to his funeral. To be fair Yum/Louisville are footing that bill but it still seems weird.   Also, no parking within 2 miles of the Yum Center if you are attending said service.
The Hoodrats have even taken to solemn introspection or they are too busy hawking Ali memorabilia, murders are down drastically this week.

Publicity Machine Indeed.

Of course anyone even remotely criticizing the insanity is a bigoted, racist, homophobe, mysogenist, worthy of death.. at least that's what the enlightened peace lovers are saying.

I will be so glad tomorrow when all this crap is semi-over.

In related news after 14 years of walking free the perpetrator of one of the most gruesome murders in UL campus history is on trial.  That got the 7 second blurb before the commercial break after literally 27 minutes of commercial free Ali coverage.    

My biggest issue is, If everyone loved Ali  so much why didn't they do him the honor while he was alive?

When he was evading enlistment, my 50 year old father was packing his bags for a trip to Vietnam in his place. I'm not a fan.

I won't argue your thought process, I felt the same for many a year...and for much the same reasons. Salyers fight in Americas wars. Period.
Having said that, I can now respect his resistance. I don't know if it's getting softer or if I have become 'enlightened'. Both are dreadful thoughts.
I'll leave it be at that.
Regardless, prayers of peace on his family. That stuff hurts.