Ripped From The Headlines Coffee Edition

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its like wine drinkers expounding on their three hundred dollar bottles of vino. I just don't have their educated pallet.
I drink three cups a day of supermarket coffee. Currently Yuban but its starting to pall. Maybe go back to Gevalia..quite a few tasty coffees ... since I stopped smoking don't have much else to pi$$ my money away on. According to my wife, anything "just for me" is a waste of money (G)...

I can definitely appreciate good coffee and espresso, but fear the clash with the bad or mediocre stuff encountered during the business day at work or in a typical restaurant. If you're used to the good stuff, how the hell can you stomach the bad? But one needs caffeine! So I rarely seek out the better, just to minimize the clash.

But even I have standards. I always grind my own beans at home. Seems the least one can do. One thing I cannot stand is super-heated coffee. All the aromatics are burned off. What the hell ails people? Restaurants are now using that Keurig thing with the heat turned up to hyper-scorch. They deserve to be given enemas with it.

Alls I gots to say on the subject...
81QklsWnHyL._SY679SX315_SY679_CR,0,0,315,679_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX315_SY679_CR,0,0,315,679_SH20_.jpg

:twisted:

I drink Gevalia in a four cup drip maker and like it just fine. I even prefer my coffee cold, not iced just room temp. I just don't care what anyone else thinks or drinks. I find what I like and drink it.

Richard Burley":oyfyr99c said:
I can definitely appreciate good coffee and espresso, but fear the clash with the bad or mediocre stuff encountered during the business day at work or in a typical restaurant. If you're used to the good stuff, how the hell can you stomach the bad? But one needs caffeine! So I rarely seek out the better, just to minimize the clash.

But even I have standards. I always grind my own beans at home. Seems the least one can do. One thing I cannot stand is super-heated coffee. All the aromatics are burned off. What the hell ails people? Restaurants are now using that Keurig thing with the heat turned up to hyper-scorch. They deserve to be given enemas with it.
I live in Portland.

Bad coffee was run out of town by a mob sometime around 1996.

Kuerig is the fast food of coffee. Pure crap.

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. Folgers, Maxwell House, and the like taste like cardboard to me. But since I drink A LOT of coffee, I can't exactly spend $20 a pound all the time. To me the smaller, yet still major player, coffee is a nice compromise. I drink 8 o'clock whole bean, sometimes Gevalia, but basically something that tastes pretty good black that won't break the bank.

I will say that if you want really good coffee, hit up PozzSka. He roasts some tasty stuff!

PozzSka's beans were nice. I am afraid they might have been wasted on me though, as my grinder was on the fritz and didn't do them justice.

I drink my coffee black. Usually Peet's French Roast. But according to a couple people I know, even Peet's is considered drivel...Whatever..

Tastes good to me, better than Starbuck's Pike's Place bile, and light years beyond what they brew at my work

I drink tea in the afternoon. As a result I sleep better at night.

I live near Portland and I have had two cups of coffee in 2015. This is weird new territory for me.

I still roast my own beans for family and houseguests.

Don't really care what other people drink.. I like Chock Full O Nuts original. I used to stick it in a drip maker bit since we bought the Kuerig a couple years ago I make it in a little basket I stick in there... Not convienant at all because I have to clean the little basket after each use. But I'm not pouring out the extra or worse drinking the same pot all day long.

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $17 to $20 dollars a pound for coffee beans. I'll pay 3 times that for good tobacco but coffee never.
Give me some good ole 8 o'clock whole bean, ground to powder and I'm a happy camper. Gevalia is a treat.
Different strokes for different folks. I guess I'm different. LOL

Ocelot55":b0pybb1o said:
I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. Folgers, Maxwell House, and the like taste like cardboard to me. But since I drink A LOT of coffee, I can't exactly spend $20 a pound all the time. To me the smaller, yet still major player, coffee is a nice compromise. I drink 8 o'clock whole bean, sometimes Gevalia, but basically something that tastes pretty good black that won't break the bank.

I will say that if you want really good coffee, hit up PozzSka. He roasts some tasty stuff!
DrumsAndBeer":b0pybb1o said:
PozzSka's beans were nice. I am afraid they might have been wasted on me though, as my grinder was on the fritz and didn't do them justice.

I drink my coffee black. Usually Peet's French Roast. But according to a couple people I know, even Peet's is considered drivel...Whatever..

Tastes good to me, better than Starbuck's Pike's Place bile, and light years beyond what they brew at my work

I drink tea in the afternoon. As a result I sleep better at night.
Thanks guys!!

And, as the resident "coffee hipster" I agree with the article. A very small portion of the country drinks "good" coffee. As evidenced by whats on the shelf at the grocery store (mostly pre-ground, economy options...most consumers want cheap and convenient, unfortuantely).

Its like anything else Fast-Cheap-Good...Pick 2.
-Fast/Good coffee (with a few thousand dollar home espresso setup/high quality coffee).
-Fast/Cheap (preground cheap coffee, autodrip pot)
-Cheap/Good (made at home, inexpensive kettle, inexpensive brewer, hand grinder, good coffee)

And, if you find the right roaster, you get a coupon...haha! (Blackhorse is gonna make me move this comment to the Towne Crier if I say too much)...

We do cheap/Good - with an insulated French press and a regular kettle.

Before that we chased various brands of drip machines, gold filters, and the rest - all of which died in short order.

For the price of one maker, we got a press that has lasted us 6 years. We don't get artisan blue mountain goat pooped coffee beans, but decent fair traded beans locally roasted for freshness.

It works for us.

And everyone else that we make coffee for, for that matter.

:lol3

Like my tobak, and most everything else in my life, especially dealing with ingestion, I appreciate and buy good coffee.

It all depends on what you value. Mom likes diner coffee and folgers; I gag them down, if I have to, and long for something tasty.

But as far as taste...Mom says she can't tell really good coffee from really bad coffee. Me, I ask "how can't you????"

Tastes and budgets are different. As far as the article being drivel, I beg to differ, as well.

I've been grinding fresh roasted whole beans daily since the mid-80's. Drink it black and fresh.

My casual observation is that most coffee drinkers add various flavorings, sweetners, etc, to make it palatable. My view is that they really don't care for the flavor of coffee unless it's masked by all the additions. Nor do they care.

Fair enough, drink what you like. I'll stick to what I do as well.

And I will admit to a liking for Middle Eastern Coffee, ground fine like flour, seasoned with a bit of ground cardoman, served very strong in the requisite Demitass cups. Hold the sugar please!

And yes I have an Ibrik!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":3vykyjrq said:
I've been grinding fresh roasted whole beans daily since the mid-80's. Drink it black and fresh.

My casual observation is that most coffee drinkers add various flavorings, sweetners, etc, to make it palatable. My view is that they really don't care for the flavor of coffee unless it's masked by all the additions. Nor do they care.

Fair enough, drink what you like. I'll stick to what I do as well.

And I will admit to a liking for Middle Eastern Coffee, ground fine like flour, seasoned with a bit of ground cardoman, served very strong in the requisite Demitass cups. Hold the sugar please!

And yes I have an Ibrik!

Cheers,

RR
My people call that a dzezve (pronounced jez-veh) and Turkish coffee is a staple. Good on ya BD

Home - fast/good - pump and lever(not so fast) machines, local roaster
Work - cheap/good - kettle, aeropress or clever dripper, local roaster, Hario Skerton hand grinder

I still need to order up some beans from Pozz, you're a few hours too far north for a leisurely drive, but definitely closer than most! I just have to remember NOT to automatically pick up a bag of beans on the weekly stop at the shop, lol.

I will say, if you like preground coffee, you should give it a whirl in something like the Clever Dripper or an aeropress. It's a small investment and tastes quite different than running it through a drip pot. I've used 8'oclock, Chock Full 'o Nuts, Cafe Du Monde, even Sam's Club Columbian through the dripper and aeropress with decent results. Plus it's fun to experiment with different grind settings and brew times to see how it affects the cup. Then again, I'm a bit of a geek :face:

Also, don't let anyone tell you that pods/k-cups are fast AND cheap. They're fast alright, but when you break it down, they're not cheap by any means. The only pod type of system I've had anything semi-palatable on was the Nespresso line. It's not espresso, but reminded me more of a strong coffee, maybe similar to an aeropress.

I find it funny that someone thinks they can define good vs bad coffee. Like tobbaco, there is coffee I like and coffee I don't like. I don't understand how people can smoke Captian Black or drink Starbucks, yet an awful lot of both get purchased every day. They are not bad, just different and not to my liking. The article should have been titled "Americans don't drink the coffee that the author likes."
Mike.

Life is much too short to care what someone else thinks about my eating or drinking or smoking preferences.

I'm OK with being a coffee philistine. I don't drink it that often, and when I do, Publix store brand is fine by me (black, cream and sugar, or iced as the mood takes me--though I especially like iced).